Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Avalokitesvara

Started by The Middle Way, June 18, 2007, 08:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Middle Way

The Goddess of Compassion, the One who hears the sounds of the world, especially the crying, is alive and well and active in this realm...

Trust me on this.

nota
  •  

Melissa-kitty

Om Tare Tuttare Ture Soha.
  •  

The Middle Way

•  

Melissa-kitty

You are very welcome, friend. Just a tear of Chenrezig here.
Tara
  •  

Suzie

Quote from: None of the Above on June 18, 2007, 08:15:45 PM
The Goddess of Compassion, the One who hears the sounds of the world, especially the crying, is alive and well and active in this realm...

Trust me on this.

nota

Which sect of Buddhism believes in Gods/Goddesses?  Do you believe there is an external entity, separate from yourself, that acts out compassionately to other beings?

Sorry, just looking for clarification.  I'm interested in different schools of Buddhist thought.

xo,
Suzie
  •  

Doc

I thought Avalokiteshvara is a bodhisattva, not a diety. And a transgendered person, too.
  •  

The Middle Way

She be the Mahaboddhisattva, the Big One. {'Goddess' is a figure of speech, doesn't refer to any deificatium there.} And yes, as He moved in tha easterly directium, started being shown as She. Go figure.

Though, sometimes you can still see a moustache... ;)
  •  

Melissa-kitty

How you see Avalokiteshvara depends on your perspective in history and tradition, as well as on your own very personal experiences. There is a difference in how one thinks of deities and bodhisattvas depending on culture and tradition (e.g. Tibetan vs Theraveda). However, I suspect that as one's mind clarifies, any differences dissolve.
It blew my mind for years trying to get my head around the idea that a human can become a deity, or a deity become human. Quite beautiful, really. Then there is the wonderful practice of deity yoga. Heartening.
Tashe Delek, Tara
  •  

Suzie

Quote from: None of the Above on July 03, 2007, 01:10:57 PM

Yeah, for decent permanent hair removal, she had to wait until the 19th century when electrolysis was invented.  Electro has to be pretty expensive on a monk's meager earnings.

But to answer my question earlier, I think the Tibetan Buddhists are the ones who look at her in more of a diety type of way.  Whereas in the Mahayana tradition, she is thought of as a bodhisattva.  I was just looking for someone to concur or "enlighten" me (every pun intended) as to where she fits in.

Suzie

•  

The Middle Way

Well the terms all sort of point to a false duality, I think.

God/dess for starters.

Quote from: Suzie on July 03, 2007, 02:41:07 PM
Quote from: None of the Above on July 03, 2007, 01:10:57 PM

Electro has to be pretty expensive on a monk's meager earnings.

Three robes/one bowl, how many ZAPS!
  •