Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Advice

Started by Snowsong, July 08, 2013, 02:21:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snowsong

I come here to seek advice. I'm 29 and feel  and for a long time I felt as if I was born in the wrong body and I want to change my body to fit how I truly feel. I have felt this way since I was 8 years old and have been keeping it bottled up all this time. This really is the first time I'm telling anyone, in any from, that I feel this way. I'm afraid though to tell anyone in my life my family or friends how I really feel. This is because I'm unsure of the reaction I would get. My friends, because I can't trust them with this information they may try to use it against me in some way. As for my family, I don't know how they would react to it and right now I'm dependent on them while I'm in college.  If they were to have a negative reaction I could lose everything. But keeping it bottled up like I am is hurting me as well. Its on my mind day and night while I'm at work, school home... What I'm asking is how can I cope with this until such a time where I am on my own?
  •  

Embrace

Well that was a lot to get off your shoulders!  Hopefully coming here and letting it out has provided some amount of relief.  Know very well that you are not alone and you've found a great place for support.

First, if you haven't already, I would suggest looking for a therapist who may be able to begin helping you work through all of this, specifically one familiar with gender concerns.

Then, start looking into local resources and support groups (or look in the next town over if you're concerned with getting spotted).  Not much better than making RL friends who can work through this with you and share experiences.

Beyond that, this site hosts a wealth of information and is frequented by a lot of really great people, so by all means, read and share at your leisure!

Any way about it I'm glad you found this place and hope you find it as valuable of a resource as I do!
embrace
  •  

Jamie D

Snowsong, you said you were in college.  Do you have access to a student health center or clinic?  If, so, ask to speak with a therapist or psychologist or psychiatrist, for the purpose of discussing gender dysphoria.
  •  

spring0721

Snowsong,

I'll third the previous 2 posters advice for you to seek out a gender counselor. As jamie said most universities do have counseling services available so that would be a great place to start. Maybe after discussing this with a therapist, it might give you the courage to atleast confide in a close friend so that you can have someone in your everyday life to talk to about this. Just don't give up or lose yourself during this. it may not seem like a physical transition is possible right now, but it will be....you're not always going to be dependent upon your family! Stay positive and I'm wishing lots of luck in your journey.
People are people, treat everyone with the same respect and courtesy that you want to receive.
  •  

E-Brennan

And I'll fourth the previous three posters. I was even looking at my own college's TG support today (left college long ago, but might even go back to take advantage of the counseling and support system), so that's a great place to start.
  •  

Snowsong

Thank you everyone for the advice. I will have to check with my college once the summer is done and I return in the fall.
  •