Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

New Documentary About Transgender People of Color

Started by iamsdawson, July 09, 2013, 04:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iamsdawson

For the past 8 months I have been working on a transgender documentary entitled "Assigned Sex." The documentary explores the lives of five transgender individuals who have untied themselves from the stereotypes that American culture has regarding gender roles.

According to a survey conducted by the National Center for Transgender Equality and the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force in 2010, 41 percent of transgender people in the United States have attempted to commit suicide. These alarming rates of suicide are a direct result of transgendered individuals traveling the road to self-discovery alone.

There are injustices at every turn along the dark, twisted path to self-discovery for transgendered individuals. Our society has a lack of understanding about individuals who vary from culturally conventional gender roles and are consequently blind to most of these obstacles. By sharing the personal stories of those who have discovered their individuality, I've unveiled the hurdles that gender variant individuals face and force society to take responsibility.

Please contact me for more information.

•