Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

A reminder that acts of evil are all too human

Started by Cindy, July 21, 2013, 06:26:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cindy

The cover of the Rolling Stone magazine has caused some reaction in the USA.

I found this article interesting.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-19/hamad-a-reminder-that-terrorists-are-only-too-human/4831336

But be aware that it may be confronting to people in the USA in particular.
  •  

StellaB

I'm going to weigh in here with my own personal opinion. It might upset and offend some Americans, which isn't my intention, but I feel that some things need to be said even if they're difficult to accept.

On the day of 9/11 I started in my new job as the director of a new young people's theatre in Warsaw, Poland. I clearly remember that day. I had an almost full auditorium of young people hoping to become actors in this new theatre.

Throughout Warsaw theatres were closed as a mark of respect for the victims. It was suggested to me that we also close as a mark of respect to the victims.

I expressed my condolences for the victims but... insisted that everything go ahead as planned to show solidarity with Americans. My question at the time was 'I'm not afraid of the terrorists, are you?'

I have been unequivocally against the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. They have achieved nothing but death and further conflict. I'm sorry to say but peace in the Middle East is a much harder objective without Saddam Hussein than it would have been if he was still alive today. I have no illusions here, Saddam Hussein was a tyrant. It goes with the territory when you have three separate ethnic factions determined to kill one another, you cannot be soft and assume that these people will gladly embrace democracy. But where is the hard evidence of all the supposed atrocities he committed, and the genocide? Why did this not come out during his trial? Where is the hard evidence that proves beyond all reasonable doubt that he committed them?

Or is it like the stockpiles of weapons of mass destruction?

Today I'm working to get political intervention to bring Shaker Aamer back home here in Battersea South West London and a reunion with his wife and four children, including his youngest son Faris, a son he has never met, who is now a teenager.

Back in 2002 Shaker was an Islamic charity worker working against the Taliban in Afghanistan. He was picked up by US forces in the nick of time before the Taliban got to him. He thought he was saved. Wrong. He was arrested and sent to Guantanamo Bay. He has since been twice declared innocent and cleared for release by Washington, and yet he remains held in Guantanamo Bay. His health is failing, he is on hunger strike, and he has been beaten and tortured by his captives.

Here in Battersea this is an issue with unites all politicians on both parties. Our local Conservative MP has even raised the matter in Parliament and is doing what she can to put pressure on the Foreign and Commonwealth Office to intervene. I have been trying, unsuccessfully for a number of years, to get the attention of a US Congressman or senator and get them involved in Shaker's release.

Again I'm not trying to be anti-American. At the time of the Iraq invasion I was contracted to do translation work for the Polish Ministry of Defence and security services. I made friends in the US military, I hold the US military in high regard, and because of Iraq I lost friends who were killed in action.

I feel this is a question of empathy more than anything else. Some of you are close to your parents. Wouldn't you want your father to be released if he was held without charge and deemed to be innocent? Some of you are close to your children. Aren't your children among the most important people in your lives? Why is it different just because someone isn't American? Why is it different just because someone is a Muslim?

But it's the same views and opinions which sparked the outrage over the cover of the Rolling Stone magazine as what is keeping Guantanamo Bay in existence and keeping Muslim fathers like Shaker away from their families.

I'm writing this post two weeks after the anniversary of the 7/7 bombings in London. i clearly remember two Sundays ago, it was just another pleasant sunny Sunday afternoon here in London.

We have moved on. Yesterday I was at a special 'hustings' meeting of the local Labour party organized to select the next Labour candidate for the next General election. There were four candidates, one of whom served in the Army and who saw action in Afghanistan. All were speaking about the mistakes of the last Labour government, and among the mistakes were the military action in Iraq and Afghanistan.

But we have moved on, and there are some benefits to moving on. September the 11th comes up once a year every year. Each time it comes around with a big song and dance over the atrocity (and I don't think there's another suitable word for what happened) you send out a very clear message to those responsible that they hurt you, they affected you, that there was some effect and consequences to their actions.

This is exactly what the terrorists want and need. They really do want you to be hurt, they want you to be afraid, they want you to be focussed on the issues which they have identified as their cause. To them it's justification to continue the conflict. It's the attention they need to continue the struggles, recruit more people and plan more attacks.

It's also important to remember that the cultural isolation enjoyed by Americans no longer exists today, thanks to the Internet. 9/11 had a greater effect because of that isolation but you are no longer cocooned between two of the largest oceans in the world with Canada to the north and Mexico to the south.

Today the whole wide world gets to see the beauty and the ugliness found in American society, we see the conservatism and the freakish aspects. We know that in some places churchgoers collect rattlesnakes to dance with, we notice whenever someone innocent is put to death by lethal injection, and some of us are well aware that while President Obama talks big on the economy and energy saving its his administration who are sending out drones which kill Pakistani children.

I feel that there is a strong argument for cultural changes in the States and my own personal opinion is that there needs to be much less violence and hatred and much more empathy and solidarity among Americans. Your biggest enemies aren't extremist Islamic fundamentalists nor is it Iran or Syria, but the social and economic inequality found in your cities and the irresponsible capitalism which is depriving ordinary Americans of their livelihoods and homes.

And I hope I'm not seen as anti-American for pointing this out.

"The truth within me is more than the reality which surrounds me."
Constantin Stanislavski

Mistakes not only provide opportunities for learning but also make good stories.
  •  

peky

Quote from: Cindy. on July 21, 2013, 06:26:42 AM
The cover of the Rolling Stone magazine has caused some reaction in the USA.

I found this article interesting.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-19/hamad-a-reminder-that-terrorists-are-only-too-human/4831336

But be aware that it may be confronting to people in the USA in particular.

I do not found this article "interesting"but "despicable." For those of you who think this is just about USA...beware that today USA... tomorrow you...so do not feel too comfy because the Yanks have been bearing the brunt of the fight while you seat safe at home.

Make no mistake, this war started 1300 years ago and will go on for the foreseeable future...problem is that some of this people have mange to infiltrate our turf...so, it is like "coming to a neighborhood near you soon." You think I am full of "it," well, just ask the good people of Paris

As for the author of the RS magazine,,. she is a well know player of the "propaganda" machine for the terrorists...

Here below is an excerpts

QuoteRuby Hamad
Popular anti-Islam activist Pamela Geller is hypocritical to promote her own right to free speech... Hamad is quick to say that Israeli settlements are illegal under UN conventions, she is hypocritical in not mentioning that the 1948 Israeli-Arab war is a direct result of Palestine and its Arab neighbours rejecting the 1947 UN Resolution. http://www.zoominfo.com/p/Ruby-Hamad/1307860919

More at: http://www.zoominfo.com/p/Ruby-Hamad/1307860919
  •  

peky

Hi, Cindy,

Here goes another article about this woman, that I a sure many would find "fascinating" and "admirable," but to me is just an "evil deed" when the author turns a positive event into a source of hearted just to create more discord and violence.

•  

Anatta

Kia Ora,

No one is immune ...We are 'all' capable of committing unwholesome acts and there's always a "cause"...

"An eye for an eye mentality will leave the world blind !" Gandhi

Metta Zenda :)
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

LordKAT

Such fury over a rather minor article. No one listened when bin laden posted numerous messages to the US and was ignored. Someone says there are 2 sides to people and magazine distributors go nuts.

I have much I could say but my written comm class didn't work well. So I am not going to try.
  •  

Donna Elvira

Quote from: peky on July 21, 2013, 02:01:16 PM

I do not found this article "interesting"but "despicable." For those of you who think this is just about USA...beware that today USA... tomorrow you...so do not feel too comfy because the Yanks have been bearing the brunt of the fight while you seat safe at home.

Make no mistake, this war started 1300 years ago and will go on for the foreseeable future...problem is that some of this people have mange to infiltrate our turf...so, it is like "coming to a neighborhood near you soon." You think I am full of "it," well, just ask the good people of Paris

As for the author of the RS magazine,,. she is a well know player of the "propaganda" machine for the terrorists...

Here below is an excerpts

More at: http://www.zoominfo.com/p/Ruby-Hamad/1307860919

Peky, personally, I find it impossible to excuse any act of cold blooded murder when the victim's only fault was to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. The Boston Marathon bombing was thus revolting but for the me the way the US has used drone attacks in many regions of the world, generating a hugh number of "collatoral casualities" is no better. Overall, it is hard not to see that the on-going "war on terror" started by G.W. Bush and continued by Obama is one , if not the main reason that the people we call terrorists feel their actions are legimate.

Adding to that, I have also had the experience of doing jury service, 3 trials including murder, which is a most enlightening experience. When you hear about the events that led up to someone doing an objectively condemnable act and if you are open minded about, you can't help but ask yourself what you yourself might have done under similar circomstances. You end out making some distinctions between the act and the person who did it and I think this is very healthy. Judgements typically integrate some "attenuating circomstances" which are simply the recognition by civilized societies that we understand  that humans can't just be divided into good and evil but that circomstances really do play a huge rule in the things we do at any point in time.

That is actually one of the reasons that court trials  exist and to get back to the subject at hand, that is why "extrajudicial death sentences" as delivered in such a systematic manner by the US government over recent years with almost no reaction from the US public, set such an extremely dangerous precedent.

Peky, if you think this is OK, I would be interested in hearing your arguments.
Best regards.
Donna
  •  

Cindy

Quote from: peky on July 21, 2013, 02:01:16 PM

I do not found this article "interesting"but "despicable."

interesting = Arousing or holding the attention; absorbing.
  •  

HM

FYI, the Hopi snake dance is a Native American tradition they have
carried on in some of the oldest villages in N. America for hundreds
of years.

A Mountain Lion or a Komodo Dragon kill because they are hungry
and see a meal. A terrorist on the other hand, kills for the sake of
killing!

I like Dr David Hawkins take on evil. Evil is like cold, it doesn't exist.
There's no such thing as cold only lack of heat. There's also no such
thing as evil, only lack of love, unconditional love.

Personally, I feel the world could use more female leaders. Leave
testosterone out of the equation.
"Life is hard." - Dr. David Hawkins

"When the power of love, overcomes the love of power,
the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
  •