News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

How long before you could sit?

Started by Celery Stalk, March 29, 2013, 12:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celery Stalk

Easy, straight forward question.

How long post-op was it before you could sit without the decorative but-pillow?
I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence. — Frederick Douglass (1817-1895)
  •  

mintra

I don't need the doughnut pillow after 3 months post op.
  •  

Sandy

For me it was about 4 weeks.  Then I switched to using super-overnight-maxipads during the day.  Not only were they absorbent, they provided quite a bit of cushioning.

-Sandy
Out of the darkness, into the light.
Following my bliss.
I am complete...
  •  

JennX

2 weeks in somewhat high level of discomfort.
3 weeks almost back to normal. Still using a orthopedic seating cushion.
Lying flat on your back or standing will be your most comfortable positions.
"If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain."
-Dolly Parton
  •  

Tristan

•  

Vicky

At two weeks I was ok on couch or well cushioned chairs, but needed my surgical cushion on hard chair or bench surfaces.  At 4 weeks, since the "donut" was a nuisance I got rid of it and used an Advil pain pill in its place. --- NO NO NO, not sitting on the Advil, just taking it! ---  By six weeks all better and no sitting impairment. 

For the first four weeks, when I was on cloth upholstery, I was using a barrier pad in addition to my pantie liners since I did leak through even the best sanitary pad every now and then.  At 8 weeks I was able to discontinue using pantie liners, but I change underwear at each of my three daily dilations.  Two weeks and I go to twice a day dilation, so I may have to use pantie liners again. 
I refuse to have a war of wits with a half armed opponent!!

Wiser now about Post Op reality!!
  •  

Jenna Marie

I could sit for a very short while before I even left for home - by about day 3 or 4 post-op, I think. I could manage to sit for up to half an hour by the time I was 2 weeks or so. (I mostly didn't use the doughnut because it hurt more with it than without it!)

By the time I went back to work at a month post-op, I could sit for the whole day, if a little unhappily by the end.
  •  

transfemalebutch

Took me about a month or so. I'm now close to the 5 month mark and I'm just starting to consider riding my bike again...wish me luck haha
  •  

Jenna Marie

transfemalebutch : Good luck with the bike! I'm hoping to be back in shape to ride again by *this* summer, and I'll be close to a year post-op by that point. (Right now I can do 10-15 mins on a stationary bike before things start to ache.)
  •  

Megan Rose

At two weeks, I sat down on a wooden bench without even thinking of it.  And, I still can sit on nearly everything, if done carefully - sometimes.  There are other times when the donut goes under me always.

I'm nearing 5 weeks and starting to work part-time tomorrow.  I'll be taking the donut and a regular pillow with me.  My office chair is quite good by itself, and may start out with nothing and then go to pillows as necessary.

•  

JungleJulia

After 10 days i was able to sit for about 2 hours straight, then i had to rest because the pain was too much. After 3 months the pain was gone, and came back to work.  >:-)
  •  

milktea

I was able to sit right able 10 days po...far from comfortably and preferably on hard surfaces. I never used the doughnut because it looks uncool...

But 4 mths later I got really bad granulations and find it really hard to sit for anything pass 20 minutes. So I guess complications makes all the difference!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
I have a post-op recovery blog now...yeah!
  •  

milktea

Yes I was given the choice to treat or leave it. The former will most likely be painful, cause scaring, affect dilation and then there is no guarantee that it won't grow back. So it seems that the more logical choice will be to bear with it and hope for self recovery, or until it get too big for dilation to be feasible. Until then I'm just going to have a bad time...
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
I have a post-op recovery blog now...yeah!
  •  

JennX

I'm back on my road-bike for 15 mile rides at 8 weeks. Everyone heels differently.
"If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain."
-Dolly Parton
  •  

Agent_J

It depends on the seat and how long for me at present, nearly 2 weeks post-op, but I find that most padded ones are fine for a while (haven't timed how long) without the donut pillow. That began a little over 1 week post-op for me.
  •  

justinesmithies

I could sit comfortably after about 2 weeks post op although i couldn't just flop down onto the couch until about 4 weeks.
  •  

mrs izzy

For me it was at about 2 1/2 months post i stopped needing the donut to sit in the car or a straight back chair. On my chaise lounge chair it was at the 3 week mark. But as anything there where girls at the residence who was sitting without any trouble end of first week, but they i feel are the exception more then the rule. Just take it as you can, there is no rule to say you must be unconfortable and do what you must to make the healing process enjoyale.
Mrs. Izzy
Trans lifeline US 877-565-8860 CAD 877-330-6366 http://www.translifeline.org/
"Those who matter will never judge, this is my given path to walk in life and you have no right to judge"

I used to be grounded but now I can fly.
  •  

Flan

I can sit fine now (15 days post) but I'm going to wait for another 6 days before I ditch the doughnut. I also have a fat piece of granular tissue that needs removal (in 2 weeks) although it's not in a spot that gets direct pressure thankfully. Having the stitches removed makes things a lot more comfortable but everything is still pretty swollen all in all.
Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr, purr, purr.
  •