Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

'You Go Girl!' Cartoon network unveils new controversial transsexual character S

Started by Natasha, June 01, 2013, 08:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Natasha

'You Go Girl!' Cartoon network unveils new controversial transsexual character She-Zow!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2332512/Cable-network-The-Hub-unveils-new-controversial-transsexual-character-She-Zow.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
5/29/13
By James Nye

Children's cable network The Hub, which is owned by Discovery and toy maker Hasbro is launching its latest cartoon aimed at ages two to 11 - about a gender-bending crime fighter named 'SheZow'.

The show's main character is a 12-year-old boy named Guy, who uses a magic ring to transform himself into his alter-ego - a girl wearing a purple skirt and white go-go boots.

And as if to emphasize the transgendered nature of the switch, Guy activates the ring, inherited from his aunt with the exclamation, 'You Go Girl!'.

•  

Lyric

I love this idea. Unforch, I don't get this "Hub" channel, though. I found the opening theme segment on YouTube: .
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •  

ashley_thomas

•  

Jamie D

We have a rather extensive discussion topic about Shezow, here:

https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,141636.0.html

In the cartoon. Guy Hamdon, the 12-year old boy, does not switch "gender" - he remains a boy, but with a female superheroine persona.

The article makes a interesting observation:

Grammatically, SheZow can even be interpreted as a spoonerism of Ze Show - in which 'Ze' is a gender neutral pronoun.

•  

Tiffanie

fatty

;) :D
  •  

barbie

Quote from: fatty on June 06, 2013, 03:38:25 AM
He looks more masculine in girl mode. ???

Yes. In a relative sense. A little bit too contrasting to his girly outfits.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

Jean24

Neat show idea. I wish it were really that easy haha. You know there's going to be a huge controversy about the show too. Hopefully it makes kids more tolerant and able to talk about their transgender feelings, if they have any.
Trying to take it one day at a time :)
  •  

Queen B

Well unfortunately the character isn't actually transgender, the show is about a cisgender boy who steals his sister's magic ring and is given the responsibility of being a superhero(ine), the ring gives him special powers but also the super girly outfit (it doesn't actually change his sex), which is extremely humilating for him at first but he gets used to it.

So yeah, not at all what people are making it out to be, which is disappointing, but the show does seem to poke fun of gender roles a good deal, so it's a start.

It'll probably be a while before anyone has the courage to make a children's show with actual transgender characters.
  •  

ShyBrian

Even though if the main characters isn't trans, I think the whole 'gender bending' scenario in SheZow is a step in the direction where transgender characters might be permitted in cartoons in the future. I think if an animated show were created with actual trans characters, it would be shot down fairly quickly. With this, I think SheZow tests the waters and makes a small door for any possible gender variant shows in the future.
  •  

FlyingJ

Hah, I like it.  It reminded me slightly of Ranma 1/2?  Just a little bit, got a kick out of it though
  •  

Keaira

Nah, Ranma 1/2 was way more insane. This is very tame in comparison. Ranma wasnt beyond using his curse to his advantage. Wether it was being all pretty and cute to get free food or flashing his breasts to distract Happosai orhis opponents.

I have to say that despite the cheap and cheesy animation, just the remise of SheZow was pretty gutsy. Especially here in the US where so many people aremwaiting to be offended.
  •