Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Close shave without a razor?

Started by AlwaysLauren, June 15, 2007, 03:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlwaysLauren

I've yet to start any sort of permanent hair removal (money's tight), so I've been using a regular razor (by regular razor I mean the standard 3 bladed ones), a Gillette something or other, on my face. The problem is that if I shave as soon as my facial hair grows enough for me to notice it, I get horrible red rashes and bumps, even if I use lotions or creams. This happens with every type of regular razor I've tried. I have no problems if I wait for it to grow out a bit more, but having any noticible facial hair at all is pretty upsetting.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good electric razor or some other method that might allow me to get a close shave more regularly? I'm actually thinking of getting a straight razor out of desperation, but it's probably not the smartest idea.

Thanks!  :)
  •  

Kate

I had the same problem, and electric razors always irritated me LESS, but still caused problems.

Of course I'd go over the same spots over and over and over in an obsessive compulsion to get RID of the hair, not just shave it, so... that didn't help ;)

I tried the Norelco kinds for awhile, but always came back to the regular foil shavers. One trick I liked was using a good coating of moisturizer first... the razor seemed to grip the skin better or something.

I eventually gave up and used an epilator. Works great, but it hurts unbelievably, and can leave ingrowns.

~Kate~
  •  

LostInTime

I find that I can shave better during a nice hot shower or, if at the sink, applying a nice hot towel to open up everything. I then use a good gel cream and leave it on for a minute or two before actually shaving. Afterwards I splash my face with cold water. Ten minutes or so later I apply a good moisturizer.
  •  

AlwaysLauren

I try and minimize going over the same spot over and over, but I still do to some extent, I know exactly what you're talking about.

I usually shave in the shower, but applying moisturizer before shaving isn't something I thought of, I'll have to give that a shot. Thank you for the suggestion!
  •  

Lisbeth

Quote from: AlwaysLauren on June 15, 2007, 03:05:42 PM
I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good electric razor or some other method that might allow me to get a close shave more regularly? I'm actually thinking of getting a straight razor out of desperation, but it's probably not the smartest idea.
Any of the Braun microscreen shavers.
Quote from: Kate on June 15, 2007, 03:40:41 PM
I tried the Norelco kinds for awhile, but always came back to the regular foil shavers. One trick I liked was using a good coating of moisturizer first... the razor seemed to grip the skin better or something.
Norelcos are useless.  Too few blades and the heads are way too thick to do anything but make stubble.

After Gillette bought Braun they started making knock-off foil shavers, but the screens are too thick to be any good.  Braun is still the only one that makes true microscreens.
"Anyone who attempts to play the 'real transsexual' card should be summarily dismissed, as they are merely engaging in name calling rather than serious debate."
--Julia Serano

http://juliaserano.blogspot.com/2011/09/transsexual-versus-transgender.html
  •