Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

I'd like to share what I've learned.

Started by Sybil, April 23, 2013, 02:01:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sybil

Edit (June 17th, 2013): here's a link to what I sound like / me being a dork: https://soundcloud.com/sound-sybil/voicesample
There's also an example of how I sounded 5 months ago there to reinforce that it's an ongoing process for me.

A short introduction of my circumstance and what my voice has been exposed to:

I am 27 years old. I started to work on my voice when I was 25, but quickly became discouraged and took a long hiatus, where I picked it up again from scratch when I was 26. I use my voice quite a bit among strangers online, which for a while was my measure of passable or not. To risk a lack of modesty, I am very frequently told that I sound cute or attractive and am extremely pleasant to speak with, which has given me a great deal of confidence and encouraged me to share my developments; it has all been very rewarding, and I really hope that others can experience the same.

What my learning process looked like:

A friend: I had a friend that I spent a great deal of time on Skype with, and he didn't mind me experimenting with my voice. He also gave me a lot of feedback when asked. It helped to have something to do with him, in order to keep time rolling and encourage my subconscious to keep up with my voice.

Muscle groups: I spent a lot of time focusing on the muscle groups in my throat. Top, bottom, front, back. I did these individually. Focusing on top and back (i.e. underutilizing front/bottom) seems to have the best effect, but learning to do it gently was important to not sounding strained.

Vocality: My voice originates primarily from just behind my vocal cords and attempts to resonate over them. This is difficult to explain; the best way I can describe this is maybe to say it's where the throat tightens up most at the apex of a hiccup. Tightening this area further is how I yell or scream.

Intuition: I tried to follow lots of online advice and instruction, such as speaking in falsetto or repeating certain phrases. I found this to be incredibly distracting and it over-complicated the process for me. Eventually I abandoned these methods and simply tried to sound as genuinely female as I could via intuition.

Coughing and laughter: I cough from the same hiccup area mentioned above, making an effort to aim it towards the front of my mouth. Laughter originates from that point as well, but I make sure to send a bit of it into the top-front of my throat. This makes it sound more authentic and helps to mute a sort of chipmunk effect.

Miscellaneous:
* adding slight breath to my voice softens out any nasally sounds, but I use only a very slight amount -- otherwise I sound like a phone sex operator, which has obvious drawbacks in most situations.
* speaking towards the front of my mouth makes me sound more girlish (as opposed to womanly). I think this is primarily because it narrows my vocal cords. Regardless, I've found it useful to achieve that sing-song quality that most women are guilty of.
* avoiding an echo/resonance in my cheeks makes my voice sound thinner. This helps me to sound younger.
* freezing (not utilizing) the front of my throat can be incredibly helpful, especially during sharp or tough sounds: laughter, yelling, higher pitches.
* this seems obvious, but not smoking. I started a few months ago. Now, my voice is often dry for the first half of the day and I encounter an excessive amount of mucus some times, both of which tend to make my voice break or rasp. I'm sure a few years will damage it beyond repair, too. I really need to quit. A lightly related note here would be to stay hydrated.

I think everyone's voice is really different. Though I still look for ways to refine it even now, I managed to wrangle a female voice in about a month's time. I don't know if this is because I learned exceptionally well or simply because I was biologically predisposed to have an easier time. I mention this because I think it's important to recognize that any advice received is not a magic or even correct answer. Not everything worked for me, but something did. I think intuition and the acceptance of individuality are extremely important to success in this subject.

I do some times worry about the health of my voice. During my time learning, I put a lot of strain on the various parts of my throat. So far as I can tell, my voice is not damaged from my experience, but I wouldn't say it was completely safe. I think it's important to be gentle, but I also think it's important to understand that the body needs to acclimate to doing something it doesn't normally do. Like with any training, that means prodding the body beyond its current limits.

I realize this was quite a bit to read over, but it was a very involved journey for me, and I would very much like to share for/try to help anyone still searching for their voice. I truly hope that anyone still looking discovers what they're searching for; the absolute best of luck to them.
Why do I always write such incredibly long posts?
  •  

Jean24

Wow I knew this subject was complex but you really broke it down. I was wondering though, did you have voice surgery on top of changing the way that you speak and sound? I'm just wondering how this all works because I have been practicing a little bit (not religiously as I think might be necessary to change your voice).
Trying to take it one day at a time :)
  •  

Seras

Yea I agree for what progress I have made, little has been from tricks like going falsetto and down or other such miraculous methods. For me the best things has been learning how my voice works with regards to muscles and whatnot, testing out different things then analysing the recordings pitch and stuff.
  •  

Sybil

Sorry Gene24, I just got around to checking back in on the forums now.

No, I didn't have any voice surgery. I have thought about it somewhere down the road because pitch can some times be frustrating to keep up, and the higher I place my pitch, the more strain goes into producing a voice. I also worry about little things like a lowered pitch when I'm sleeping or the difficulty of producing a good pitch when I've just woken up (very dry mouth/throat, it's a chronic problem for me).

All in all, though, it gets better and more consistent as time goes by. I very likely think I will never bother with any voice surgery. Pitch also isn't as important as many would believe; there have been days where I'm feeling lazy and lower the pitch to an effortless level, but retain female resonance, tone, speech patterns and the like and no one blinks an eye. Some men have told me that they prefer the lower, more sultry voice; they really confuse me, go figure.
  •  

Jamie D

•  

Sybil

You are very welcome. I only hope some people can draw something of use from it.
  •  

Banshee

What has been helpful for me is spending some time on Google Plus with other trans women, all practicing our voices together. We do the standard reading passages for voice therapy as well as sentences, questions, and general casual conversation. Getting and giving feedback is really great, especially when I'm not feeling like I'm doing particularly well.

Another thing that has kept me from getting too discouraged is taking a recording of my voice every week or so, reading the same reading passage. I now have a record of where I started from and the progress that I've made, which can really cheer me up when I need it.

Thanks for sharing!
  •  

Sybil

I just wanted to bump this to say that I provided a link in the original post to what I sound like. I didn't think it was very fair that I rambled on about all of this voice stuff, but didn't provide a point of reference for what I was talking about -- so there it is!
  •  

Jean24

Quote from: Sybil on June 13, 2013, 08:56:40 PM
Sorry Gene24, I just got around to checking back in on the forums now.

No, I didn't have any voice surgery. I have thought about it somewhere down the road because pitch can some times be frustrating to keep up, and the higher I place my pitch, the more strain goes into producing a voice. I also worry about little things like a lowered pitch when I'm sleeping or the difficulty of producing a good pitch when I've just woken up (very dry mouth/throat, it's a chronic problem for me).

All in all, though, it gets better and more consistent as time goes by. I very likely think I will never bother with any voice surgery. Pitch also isn't as important as many would believe; there have been days where I'm feeling lazy and lower the pitch to an effortless level, but retain female resonance, tone, speech patterns and the like and no one blinks an eye. Some men have told me that they prefer the lower, more sultry voice; they really confuse me, go figure.

I can see why nobody blinks an eye. Your voice sounds spot on.
Trying to take it one day at a time :)
  •  

Sybil

Quote from: Gene24 on June 18, 2013, 07:13:31 PM
I can see why nobody blinks an eye. Your voice sounds spot on.
Thank you. I appreciate that.
  •  

Shay

Well, Sybil all I can say is wow!! What an amazing work of progress for one month if I read correctly! Incredible :) I wonder if you had ever heard of SheVoice as I am sure she did something similar. Working out the throat muscles and everything. I have been doing the same. The back and genio muscles are the hardest to tell. Well like you, I am starting my voice again at the age of 26 lol and top this all off, I am a singer. So I'm hoping that reading what you put up there, and having the ability to tell a difference in what is or isnt woking, i'll be inspired to work my bum off to achieve the voice I desperately need!!
I have a few questions if you are still even looking at this thread. Listen to me being all passive lol. I wonder how long a day did you practice and what did those practice sessions consist of? Like what kind of exercises did you do to accomplish where you are now? Any insight on this would be a real big help and I'd be greatly appreciative, thanks :) and did I mention you sound bloody great?! ^-^
  •  

Sybil

Hi Shay,

Thank you for the compliments! I didn't practice anything per se, I simply spent most of my time talking to other people and experimenting with my voice. If I was pressed to say, I think my primary focus was trying different areas of projection in my throat. I eventually settled on the rear.

Despite having learned my voice in a month, I still struggle with it now and then. There's a particular nasal quality to it that drives me nuts, and I often have to "boot up" my voice as it doesn't  always work correctly right away (I think this is something I should probably practice).

I haven't heard of SheVoice, but I'm interested in checking that out now. I don't think I've learned anywhere near everything there is, and I'd definitely love to look into someone who gets into great detail about the muscles in use.
  •