Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Advice?

Started by Liminal Stranger, August 11, 2013, 12:13:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liminal Stranger

I was advised to get my rear end over here from the FTM board to see if anyone might have any sort of tips on what to do for a cracking voice. I'm pre-T, but I guess my vocal cords don't quite know that and I'm going through it pretty badly. It was funny at first and would still be if it weren't so embarrassing, happens at the worst times (like when I'm trying to talk about something serious).

I've noticed that allowing emotions like excitement and agitation into my voice makes it more prone to cracking (makes sense), but my mother won't allow me to really restrict my pitch fluctuations because I sound too much like a robot, apparently.

Anyway, for any guys or girls who have gone through male puberty, how'd you minimize the cracking? I get that it's inevitable that I'm going to have them every so often and hey, maybe it means I'll just drop straight down when I get on T. But is there anything I can do to try and not constantly sound like a cross between a donkey and a canadian goose caught in a fax machine?

"And if you feel that you can't go on, in the light you will find the road"
- In the Light, Led Zeppelin
  •  

Athena

As a male (MTF eventually ?) I recently recorded my voice and I feel that my voice is more feminine then some of the TS women I have herd on you tube and I am talking in my male voice (I am sorry for those that might have issues with this comment I do mean no disrespect ) . I find myself thinking to myself that I will likely be a good candidate for vfs. So if you are having possibly "male" voice issues before starting hormones then I would suspect that hormones will work wonders for you. As for myself my voice breaking happened over 30 years ago and as far as I can recall there was no real issues but then again I was cis male so it was "normal"
Formally known as White Rabbit
  •  

Aina

I wish I could help you - I don't remember my voice cracking so much when I was younger, and I think when it did I just sorta stop saying what I was saying and cleared my voice and continued on.  :D

Have you tried experimenting with how high and low you talk, to see if you voice cracks more at different pitches. I know this is MTF voice your working on, but maybe if you find that certain pitch your voice may find your voice cracks less at a specific pitch.
  •  

Liminal Stranger

Quote from: Aina on August 11, 2013, 10:00:53 PM
I wish I could help you - I don't remember my voice cracking so much when I was younger, and I think when it did I just sorta stop saying what I was saying and cleared my voice and continued on.  :D

Have you tried experimenting with how high and low you talk, to see if you voice cracks more at different pitches. I know this is MTF voice your working on, but maybe if you find that certain pitch your voice may find your voice cracks less at a specific pitch.

Haha, I'm actually FTM, just trying to get it to stop cracking as frequently as it has been. I thought for a while it might be a result of some abuse my vocal cords suffered at the hands of a type of reflux, but resting my voice and trying to reduce any inflammation proved useless in minimizing them and when I spoke again it cracked more XD

I mean, I'm all for it cracking on occasion because it's funny once in a while and makes me feel better in that I'm sharing a part of male-specific puberty with my friends even before HRT, helps my case in just being a "late bloomer" and not seeming out of the ordinary to people. I just don't want it happening all the time like it has because it's gotten pretty bad, the last one sounded like a small terrier yelping.

•  

Aina

Ah sorry, yes I actually meant to say FTM I just got that backwards when I typed it!

But honesty as a guy, and I am still one last I check haha, I just don't remember my voice cracking so much. It would do it fairly often but not allot. If it is cracking almost all the time that just might be something FTM experience, I am not really sure.

So I'd keep practicing it may stop after awhile. I've been working on my voice for a year and being a perfectionists I am never happy with it and struggling with it allot. But I look back at where I was and I am indeed allot better.

I am sorry I am rambling.  :-X
  •  

Liminal Stranger

It's more of a YMMV thing for both cis and transmales, though I have yet to start any sort of therapy with testosterone. The last I had it checked my levels were nothing significant, so unless they suddenly spiked then i have no idea why this is happening.

•