Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Gender-Neutral Bathrooms Are Quietly Becoming The New Thing At Colleges

Started by Xenguy, July 18, 2014, 06:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xenguy

Gender-Neutral Bathrooms Are Quietly Becoming The New Thing At Colleges
Kim Bellware- 07/18/2014

"A popular student center at Northwestern University is the latest college campus facility to embrace gender-neutral bathrooms.

New to campus this fall will be a pair of such restrooms -- sometimes called "all-gender" restrooms -- at the school's Norris University Center.

"These are two gender-open bathrooms where students of any gender can go in, and use the restroom, and feel safe, regardless of gender expression or gender identity," Michelle Margulis, president of NU's Rainbow Alliance LGBT student group told CBS Chicago."

More: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/18/gender-neutral-bathrooms-colleges_n_5597362.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------
  •  

suzifrommd

My freshman college dorm had gender neutral bathrooms. That was in 1979.

This is new?
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

mm

This is only taking place in new buildings or when there is major remodeling so process is slow.
  •  

mac1

?
  •  

wheatbread

This seems like the sort of thing that should be all or nothing. Repeatedly using a gender neutral bathroom seems like a pretty good way to out yourself.
  •  

mac1

I still believe that all public restrooms should be multi-user unisex with private stalls.
?
  •  

blink

Quote from: wheatbread on July 20, 2014, 03:56:01 PM
Repeatedly using a gender neutral bathroom seems like a pretty good way to out yourself.
One could always claim "pee-shy". Many people have trouble using the toilet in multi-user bathrooms. It can be a serious problem in itself, so single-occupant bathrooms are a great thing to have available.
  •  

mac1

Quote from: blink on July 21, 2014, 09:18:09 AM
One could always claim "pee-shy". Many people have trouble using the toilet in multi-user bathrooms. It can be a serious problem in itself, so single-occupant bathrooms are a great thing to have available.
It might be nice to have them available for low traffic areas where only one or two facilities are required or for special needs. However, they should not be the norm for high use areas. They would be a bigger waste of space than separate multi-user facilities.
?
  •  

Felix

Quote from: suzifrommd on July 18, 2014, 09:38:27 PM
My freshman college dorm had gender neutral bathrooms. That was in 1979.

This is new?
The rapid proliferation is new, but I don't think the change has been quiet or subtle at all. There's been a lot of debate around legalities and safety issues and rights and all that.

Quote from: mac1 on July 21, 2014, 09:40:02 AM
It might be nice to have them available for low traffic areas where only one or two facilities are required or for special needs. However, they should not be the norm for high use areas. They would be a bigger waste of space than separate multi-user facilities.
If you consider the enormous relief those bathrooms are to people who need them, it might balance out. In low traffic areas, I can usually convince people to allow me to go in with my special needs child who has to pee or wants to try on clothing. In high use areas, she might just hold her urine because she's scared of facing loud toilets without guidance, or she goes without getting new clothes because I can't go in with her to work the buttons to see if they fit. Social policing in higher density places is often pretty strict. I had her young, so this was a problem when I was in college.

I never use gender neutral bathrooms for my own needs if I don't have to, and I tend to find it insulting when transpeople are told not to use the gendered spaces they like, but even if this is a fringe issue it still matters a lot.

I would be curious to see how more androgynous people feel about it.
everybody's house is haunted
  •  

Evienne

Pretty cool. I remember reading about when these things came out, and telling people about them. They thought me so weird, but oh well, I think it's cool. I'm yet to actually ever see one though. And go to college. Never did that either...
I hereby sign this message to the understanding that it is what I said. You, the viewer, thus adhere to the adhering of this message to have been adhered.

Ticking Time bomb: 533 days
  •  

mac1

If a gender neutral multi-user public restroom was available I would select it in preference to a gender specific restroom. In addition, all single user restrooms should be designated as gender neutral - a gender specific designation for them is totally rediculous.
?
  •  

OreSama

I remember at one of the schools I went to, the bathrooms were a room with a sink, and stall-sized individual rooms for the actual toilets which was pretty nice.  Honestly, I don't understand what the big deal is with bathrooms.  I go in, use the toilet, wash my hands, and leave.
  •  

pianoforte

My university has single-user gender-neutral bathrooms in several buildings. They also serve as accessible stalls for people with mobility devices and/or caregivers in buildings that weren't previously up to ADA standards.

They are nicer, newer, and cleaner than most of the other bathrooms, and nicely private.

In addition, events put on by certain groups (usually LGBTQ student organizations) will take over existing multi-stall gendered restrooms and make them neutral, with special event signage. The signage also contains directions to the nearest gendered restrooms for those who may be uncomfortable with a shared space.

I really enjoy those, because people get the opportunity to realize that being in a stall next to a person of a different gender is approximately as awkward as being in a stall next to someone of a similar gender.
  •  

mac1

Quote from: pianoforte on July 29, 2014, 04:04:54 AM

In addition, events put on by certain groups (usually LGBTQ student organizations) will take over existing multi-stall gendered restrooms and make them neutral, with special event signage. The signage also contains directions to the nearest gendered restrooms for those who may be uncomfortable with a shared space.

I really enjoy those, because people get the opportunity to realize that being in a stall next to a person of a different gender is approximately as awkward as being in a stall next to someone of a similar gender.
I want to see the trend continue and be expanded to all multi-stall public restrooms. Gender segregated faciities are rediculous and must become a thing of the past ASAP.
?
  •  

Vicky

Back in April, I took part in a Transgender Leadership Summit on the campus of one of our CA State Universities, and the restrooms in the buildings we were using were all labeled as "Multi Gender" with special signage, with directions to a gendered rest room several buildings away.  I am full time post op so the traditional Women's restroom is what I normally use,  I was heading in to use a restroom and was not really caring which RR I went into, when I was stopped by two female presenting people who did not have conference badges on, but who asked me if they could use our RR's instead of going to the other building.  The answer was sure, but you see what the deal is!!  Both of them grinned at me and each other and said they would use the one normally for guys, I grinned back and said go ahead and followed them into it.   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  First time I had been in a RR with urinals in two years.
I refuse to have a war of wits with a half armed opponent!!

Wiser now about Post Op reality!!
  •