Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Transgender student allegedly told not to use school washrooms

Started by MadelineB, November 14, 2012, 01:20:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadelineB

Transgender student allegedly told not to use school washrooms
John R. Kennedy, Global News
Tuesday, November 13, 2012 6:00 AM

http://www.globaltoronto.com/transgendered+student+allegedly+told+not+to+use+school+washrooms/6442752653/story.html

TORONTO - Students at a Durham Region high school are showing their support for a transgender student who they claim has been banned from using the school's washrooms.

Students at Clarke High School on Highway 115 in Clarington have collected more than 160 names on a petition, according to Grade 12 student Dan Brunelle.

Brunelle said his friend James was told by school officials at the beginning of the school year he can't use the men's washrooms because he is still in the process of transitioning from female to male.

James told Global News he was assured by principal Silvia Grdovic and a guidance counsellor that a solution would be found but, two months later, he is still waiting.

At the school, he was offered access to a special washroom for which he has to request a key.

"I felt like they were saying that to be transgender there's something wrong and that transgender people need to be segregated," said James.
History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.
~Maya Angelou

Personal Blog: Madeline's B-Hive
  •  

JasperStatik

I understand this because it's what I am dealing with as well. It's more of a safety concern. If I needed to use the restroom at our school, I would use the restroom in the office. It's all a safety thing. They want to be sure nothing bad happens.
  •  

Jessica Merriman

This is exactly why I got a legal carry letter. If someone tries this now they will be naming the building after me. :)
  •  

DriftingCrow

ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

Gina Taylor

Quote from: Jessica Merriman on February 11, 2014, 06:33:52 PM
This is exactly why I got a legal carry letter. If someone tries this now they will be naming the building after me. :)

I'm sure that your carry letter has been helping you out in situations. Fortunately I haven't run into any situations as of yet . . .
Gina Marie Taylor  8)
  •  

Elegant_Evelyn

•