Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Which kind of microphone to use

Started by anjaq, September 15, 2013, 08:35:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anjaq

Hi. I have to do some voice training and would like to know if I should get any specific microphone. Will any of the $10 USB microphones do that are sold for singing games on consoles, is a headset with microphone the better choice as there is also the benefit of a good playback or would I need a more expensive microphone? I tried the microphone on the Laptop and it was really crappy, so that can be ruled yout ;)

•  

KabitTarah

I have an ancient Logitech that is quite good. It's been around forever and is still being sold

http://amzn.com/B00009EHJV

If I had my way, though, I'd get a Blue

http://amzn.com/B002OO333Q

The logitech is enough... but the Blue is a step up.
~ Tarah ~

•  

CalmRage

I use an old AKG mic for my recordings. Little to no leakage, you have to be quite close to the mike.
  •  

anjaq

Wow, the latter one is really expensive. like 150 Euro or so. Does it really have to be in that categors? I was hoping to stay unter 50EU or so as i will not be needing it for any other purpose. But if the less expensive ones do not work well enough.... I dont want to save money at the wrong end here.

•  

anjaq

Ah that is good then of course. I am not singing - I am not good in that. I am happy if I manage to speak better, that is not be misgendered because of that yet loud and clear enough to be heard. But I get it that cheaper mics ar not good. I was just looking at some online voice training videos and they basically just used a mobile voice recorder, I am sure that mic really sucks. I think I would prefer to get a better one that allows me to not just get a voice that works well on recorders and telephones but IRL ...

But then again, I only have a laptop to record, so no high end recording. So I am not sure if a really good mic will work with that and still be good.

•  

kira21 ♡♡♡

Ideally you will want a condenser mic as they get the best response across the audible frequency range. Many dynamic microphones, including every cheap one on laptops, cheap mics and such, have frequency boosts around 3-4 KHz which colours the sound somewhat.

If you are only buying it for this, then you will not want to spend too much money, so I would recommend a cheap behringer C1 or maybe a T bone condensor.

I know microphones and mic theory quite well.

Aina

I use a gaming head-set, it works pretty well. But I do notice when I record things you can hear a lot of static in the background. I have wondered if I should get a nicer mic that would work sitting on my desk since I use my speakers anyway.
  •  

kira21 ♡♡♡

Sure. It depends on the application specifically. What type of sounds are you recording, what are you recording them for and how you want to use them? If you want to PM me I can answer in a bit more detail. :-)

anjaq

the behringer c1 sounds all right - its just below 50 EU but one needs some connector to get it to work with USB on a Laptop. Thats another 15-20. Still affordable. Thanks a lot

•  

kira21 ♡♡♡

Quote from: anjaq on September 16, 2013, 09:48:04 AM
the behringer c1 sounds all right - its just below 50 EU but one needs some connector to get it to work with USB on a Laptop. Thats another 15-20. Still affordable. Thanks a lot

There is a USB version. The Behringer C-1U

anjaq

Great! Just ordered that one. Lets see how this will sound. I almost dread it. gawd.

•  

CalmRage

My microphone does color the recording a little. It adds something analog to the sound that some people may find not suitable. I however think that kind of mic would be perfect for someone finding their voice. It only captures sound that's either very close to it or quite loud.

Then again, i'm not trans and i don't hate my talking voice. I do hate my singing voice, but that has nothing to do with gender or pitch.
  •  

anjaq

Ok, got it and got the PRAAT software that Jenny suggested. Does anyone know how to use that properly to analyze for pitch and resonance?

I just tried it in default mode and it gave me devastating numbers. Now first of all I dug a bit in my muscle memory and pulled out my old speaking voice from before transition to get sort of a reading on what was my "normal" voice as in not altered at all. It gave me 110 with a range going even lower. Whoa - thats low. Male range is 100-150, I am at the lower end. :,( . Then to regular voice I use when relaxed and among friends. I do control resonance there a lot and pitch a bit. about 130 Hz. I expected 160 or so. So on to the voice I use when I am aware of the voice issue and consciously change resonance and pitch. 160 Hz. now that is at least androgynous then - sort of. Not cool. Then I tried to get to 200 Hz as this is what people say is average for women. I can manage that but in my head it sounds like I am doing too much high pitch and it is a strain on my throat a bit. It sounds quite ok in recording though, but I would so not really use that voice outside my room. I noticed that whenever I am around others, more so with good friends, my voice drops, probably from the 160 range to the 130 range.

So no wonder I got misgendered recently and a kid asking me why I have the voice of a boy. I think I had a higher pitch during transition but then lost that somehow again. In part because it was a bit of a strain on the throat and because I did not think of it any longer as I stopped thinking about trans stuff in general and focussed on life again. The only thing that really puzzles me is then maybe how I could keep passing with 130Hz - on how many occasions did I "blow it" without knowing it by just opening my mouth.

Ok, so now two things first - i need a bit of help in how to use the PRAAT to get proper results and not misreadings. Also I need some help on how to properly use it for voice training like checking if resonance is good, what pitch really is (A friend of mine talked into it in a really deep voice and it read 180Hz - so clearly one can produce misreadings).

And then I guess I will have to do something with that. Probably will need a voice training in real life, preferrably not just trying it again by myself and maybe get strain again. But the 110 Hz - that really shocked me. Even as I read the stuff on the girls going to Korea for VFS, they raise the pitch by something like 50-80 Hz depending on how much pitch control one uses later. So even if I  would dare that one, I would get barely into the lowest range for female voices. Sigh. Plus I have another issue with that and that is that my upper range seems to be out at a bit over 400 Hz. So I have not much room at the top. Darn. I hate my voice.

So for now besides the rant, all I can do is get infos on the PRAAT and get myself a good voice therapist.

•  

Aina

Quote from: anjaq on September 21, 2013, 04:55:21 PM
Ok, got it and got the PRAAT software that Jenny suggested. Does anyone know how to use that properly to analyze for pitch and resonance?

I just tried it in default mode and it gave me devastating numbers. Now first of all I dug a bit in my muscle memory and pulled out my old speaking voice from before transition to get sort of a reading on what was my "normal" voice as in not altered at all. It gave me 110 with a range going even lower. Whoa - thats low. Male range is 100-150, I am at the lower end. :,( . Then to regular voice I use when relaxed and among friends. I do control resonance there a lot and pitch a bit. about 130 Hz. I expected 160 or so. So on to the voice I use when I am aware of the voice issue and consciously change resonance and pitch. 160 Hz. now that is at least androgynous then - sort of. Not cool. Then I tried to get to 200 Hz as this is what people say is average for women. I can manage that but in my head it sounds like I am doing too much high pitch and it is a strain on my throat a bit. It sounds quite ok in recording though, but I would so not really use that voice outside my room. I noticed that whenever I am around others, more so with good friends, my voice drops, probably from the 160 range to the 130 range.

So no wonder I got misgendered recently and a kid asking me why I have the voice of a boy. I think I had a higher pitch during transition but then lost that somehow again. In part because it was a bit of a strain on the throat and because I did not think of it any longer as I stopped thinking about trans stuff in general and focussed on life again. The only thing that really puzzles me is then maybe how I could keep passing with 130Hz - on how many occasions did I "blow it" without knowing it by just opening my mouth.

Ok, so now two things first - i need a bit of help in how to use the PRAAT to get proper results and not misreadings. Also I need some help on how to properly use it for voice training like checking if resonance is good, what pitch really is (A friend of mine talked into it in a really deep voice and it read 180Hz - so clearly one can produce misreadings).

And then I guess I will have to do something with that. Probably will need a voice training in real life, preferrably not just trying it again by myself and maybe get strain again. But the 110 Hz - that really shocked me. Even as I read the stuff on the girls going to Korea for VFS, they raise the pitch by something like 50-80 Hz depending on how much pitch control one uses later. So even if I  would dare that one, I would get barely into the lowest range for female voices. Sigh. Plus I have another issue with that and that is that my upper range seems to be out at a bit over 400 Hz. So I have not much room at the top. Darn. I hate my voice.

So for now besides the rant, all I can do is get infos on the PRAAT and get myself a good voice therapist.

Honestly not sure how to use Praat well myself, I keep praticing and recording regardless!
  •