Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Making Your Own Yogurt

Started by LearnedHand, November 11, 2013, 08:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DriftingCrow

Has anyone here ever made their own yogurt?

I have this undying love for Greek yogurt, but my addiction does get expensive if I buy a big tub of it every week and make the occasional stop at Pinkberry.

By chance, I came across the article on NPR Yes, It's Worth It To Make Your Own Yogurt.

It seems really easy and I think I'll give it a try. Just need to pick up a mason jar and some real milk since I am not sure if my coconut milk will do.

So, if you tried it, how did it come out?
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

Devlyn

Ah, the fine art of letting milk rot! Good luck with that! Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

LordKAT

They over simplify it a tad and you have to make sure the yogurt you get from the store still has the live cultures in it. Many don't as they are killed during pasteurization.

This link may help explain things better.
http://www.makeyourownyogurt.com/make-yogurt/stir-and-enjoy
  •  

DriftingCrow

Thanks Lordkat, I'll save that link and look at it closely when I start making the yogurt.

I buy yogurt that says "live and active cultures" on it, so are most of them dead when I buy it? If so, what a rip-off! I usually buy The Greek Gods yogurt, and I just bought (to use as the starter) a more local yogurt Green Mountain Creamery Made in Vermont Greek yogurt.
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

LordKAT

Quote from: LearnedHand on November 11, 2013, 10:16:51 PM
Thanks Lordkat, I'll save that link and look at it closely when I start making the yogurt.

I buy yogurt that says "live and active cultures" on it, so are most of them dead when I buy it? If so, what a rip-off! I usually buy The Greek Gods yogurt, and I just bought (to use as the starter) a more local yogurt Green Mountain Creamery Made in Vermont Greek yogurt.

You need one that says live cultures, most of the rest are dead.
  •  

DriftingCrow

Yummy! I cooked some on Saturday morning, let it sit for 7 hours, then refrigerated it to thicken, and this morning I strained it for 2 hours over cheesecloth to make it "Greek".

ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

LordKAT

•  

Devlyn

Look at that KAT staring! He knows it's made out of milk! Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Oriah

I make my own yogurt a lot when my goats are producing milk.  It's pretty good stuff  especially with a little jelly stirred in.
  •  

MarvalAlice

my dad made yogurt out of dry milk a few times. it still tasted like dry milk but it did work.
Warning! This poster is known to void warranties!
  •