Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Minister who married gay son becoming gay rights activist

Started by LearnedHand, November 20, 2013, 10:41:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DriftingCrow

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57613099/minister-who-married-gay-son-becoming-gay-rights-activist/
Source: CBS No Author Listed

The United Methodist clergyman convicted of breaking church law for officiating at his son's same-sex wedding was suspended late Tuesday, and ordered by a jury of his fellow pastors to surrender his credentials in a month if he can't bring himself to adhere to the laws of the church's Book of Discipline.

"I feel I have to be an advocate, an outspoken advocate for all lesbian, gay, transgender and bisexual people," Schaefer told reporters after learning his sentence, adding he expects to be defrocked when his 30-day suspension is up.

Schaefer donned a rainbow-colored stole on the witness stand and told jurors it symbolized his commitment to the cause.
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

King Malachite

Hmmmm I heard about that this morning as it was on the news in my mother's room.  I couldn't quite hear the whole thing though.  He did the right thing.  Go him!
Feel the need to ask me something or just want to check out my blog?  Then click below:

http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,135882.0.html

"Sometimes you have to go through outer hell to get to inner heaven."

"Anomalies can make the best revolutionaries."
  •  

Amy The Bookworm

I've been asking myself lately what the word 'brave' really means. This conversation started between me and my therapist a few weeks ago when I told her that people keep telling me I'm brave ... when all I feel like I'm doing is running for my life and trying not to scream at the top of my lungs. I still feel 'the jury is still out' on if I'm brave or not.

But Schaefer is in my opinion what bravery is and what it looks like. He's willing to risk it all. His job, power, responsibility, most likely respect from people in his congregation ... everything, to stand by his son and say, quite loudly and proudly that his actions are right and that the actions and decisions of his church are wrong. If more clergyman where like him, I honestly don't think I would have turned away from god and religion.

;D by the way the link isn't working.
  •  

Michelle-G

Amy, I agree with you on that "brave" definition, both for ourselves and for Frank Schaefer.

This is a hot button issue in the United Methodist Church these days. I was having this very discussion with my pastor at our TDOR observance at my Methodist church yesterday, and within the church those of us in the LGBT community are trying to force the issue. Frank Schaefer is the most visible face in that battle today.

Rev. Schaefer has emphatically stated that he won't back down, and it's very likely that he'll be unemployed at the end of the 30 day suspension.  Unemployed or not, this will draw attention to a denominational (not necessarily Christian) doctrine that is out of step with today's reality, and in an era when church membership overall is in decline for that very reason this is not attention that the UMC wants or needs.

He's forcing the leadership to make some tough decisions. If they fire him they are the ultimate losers in this battle, and I think they know it.

Better link -

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/19/frank-schaefer-pastor-gay-marriage_n_4306009.html
  •