Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Working with children - could lose it for a lifetime?

Started by Shelly Lullaby, November 22, 2013, 04:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelly Lullaby

As I stated in my introduction, I am starting my working years as a Specialized Social Caretaker, taking care of and nursing damaged children. When staying realistic, I could, in a few years, start transition and this is basicly my biggest goal and dream in my life. My biggest problem is that I'm really afraid I will lose my job and the possibility to work in my profession for a lifetime if I do go on with my plans because of discrimination. Anyone has any tiny piece of advice that could lead me to a point where I'm not getting crazy over this?  :-\
"All the hardest, coldest people you meet were once as soft as water. And that's the tragedy of living."
  •  

Cindy

Why should you? Your gender has nothing to do with working with children does it?
  •  

Shelly Lullaby

Well, I'm just really afraid. You see, given current society and global idiotism, just imagine the parents. Their child is already damaged in some way, would they want - or LET for that matter - a "freak" take care of him/her? This is my main concern. Not becoming a woman caretaker. Being a trans one in a semi-social, semi-medical profession, in a not in the least understanding society - kudos for the exceptions.
"All the hardest, coldest people you meet were once as soft as water. And that's the tragedy of living."
  •  

Cindy

I presume you are in the USA which seems to be the only Western country with this problem! Firstly you have your past record, you presumably have some sort of Police check to work with children? So what is the issue?

Sorry maybe we need input from people who are local to you!

BTW you are not a freak, you are a perfectly normal woman  :-* and deserve the respect that all women deserve.
  •  

LordKAT

In a place that can take custody from you for being trans, it is a very real issue.
  •  

Shelly Lullaby

I am actually living in Middle-Europe and going to move to and work in the UK, I also plan to live there and get naturalized.
  •  

LordKAT

Hmm, I think that will work in your favor actually.
  •  

tgchar21

In the UK a police check shouldn't out you like it might in other places if you do not have any relevant crimes under your former name, since they have a special procedure where you don't have to give your former name to your employer (like most other people who've gone by a different name would have to) and give it directly to the agency who performs the check instead. (Note I said if you don't have any relevant crimes under that name, because if you do that will still appear since they have to show what name/alias you committed the crime under.)
  •  

Shelly Lullaby

Quote from: LordKAT on November 22, 2013, 05:38:30 PM
Hmm, I think that will work in your favor actually.

Could you please explain? (I know of the Gender Recognition Act 2004)

Quote from: Cindy on November 22, 2013, 04:44:06 PM
BTW you are not a freak, you are a perfectly normal woman  :-* and deserve the respect that all women deserve.

This actually is the kindest thing I heard in a good while. I'm already happy for registering here. Thank you.  :icon_love:
  •  

LordKAT

Quote from: Shelly Lullaby on November 22, 2013, 05:43:08 PM
Could you please explain? (I know of the Gender Recognition Act 2004)

If you were coming to the US, I wouldn't hold out much hope. since you aren't and Britain is much more friendly about things, I think you are probably better off.
  •  

Cindy

The UK should be no problem. I know medics who are transgender working in the UK. We have many UK members here, hopefully they will turn up at some time.

I'm in Australia and work in four hospitals. Being transgender is not even an issue that is discussed in any checks. The law in the UK is very similar to here.

I'm very glad you are feeling comfortable here and learn to accept yourself as a normal healthy wonderful woman. :-*
  •  

Shelly Lullaby

Quote from: tgchar21 on November 22, 2013, 05:41:04 PM
In the UK a police check shouldn't out you like it might in other places if you do not have any relevant crimes under your former name, since they have a special procedure where you don't have to give your former name to your employer (like most other people who've gone by a different name would have to) and give it directly to the agency who performs the check instead. (Note I said if you don't have any relevant crimes under that name, because if you do that will still appear since they have to show what name/alias you committed the crime under.)

Luckily I am clean as snow. Also, I'll have them do a background check on me anyway as I'll want my official gender change done together with or just after my naturalization as a British citizen - which is also kinda far ahead... If everything goes as planned, I'll move to the UK early summer and then it's 5 years of living there before I can apply for naturalization. Of course, by then I'll want to be neck deep in transitioning.  ::)
  •  

Shelly Lullaby

Quote from: Cindy on November 22, 2013, 11:14:22 PM
The UK should be no problem. I know medics who are transgender working in the UK. We have many UK members here, hopefully they will turn up at some time.

I'm in Australia and work in four hospitals. Being transgender is not even an issue that is discussed in any checks. The law in the UK is very similar to here.

I'm very glad you are feeling comfortable here and learn to accept yourself as a normal healthy wonderful woman. :-*

You really are wonderful. I started my morning with reading your answer and it really did soothe me. I feel much more confident in my plans.  :)
  •