Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Bashing Binaries -- Along With 2,000 Pounds of Clay (PHOTOS, VIDEO)

Started by LearnedHand, September 07, 2013, 07:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DriftingCrow

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/heather/bashing-binaries-along-with-2000-pounds-of-clay_b_3861322.html?utm_hp_ref=transgender
Heather Cassilis Source: Huffington Post

****WARNING: some of the photos may not be appropriate to view at work****

"Inspired by these histories, I aim to make images that bash through binaries and the notion that in order to be officially transgender, you have to have surgery or take hormones. I perform trans not as something about a crossing from one sex to another but as a continual becoming, a process-oriented way of being that works in a space of indeterminacy, spasm and slipperiness. "

The artist discusses Body of Work, an upcoming exhibition.
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

Shantel

What an inspiring presentation! Heather Cassils is without a doubt the epitome of non-binary androgynous expression and quite a celebrated artist within GLBTQ circles. Excellent article and well worth the time to read and watch the videos! Way to go there Henry! 
  •  

Amelia Pond

*MAY BE NSFW*
Heather Cassils: the transgender bodybuilder who attacks heaps of clay
Nell Frizzell, October 3, 2013 08.41 EDT

Before interviewing Heather Cassils I get an email: "In terms of pronouns I prefer he but I'm okay with she. I prefer to be called Cassils but don't mind if people call me Heather. I state it because I know it is not obvious."

This is not only considerate but also a fantastic understatement. From the high, soft Canadian voice and sleek, cropped hair to the rippling abs and occasional slick of scarlet lipstick, Cassils' identity is resolutely ambiguous.

By playing with body art, gay male aesthetics and extreme physical training – from weightlifting to martial arts – the artist has adapted his own female body into a series of powerful physical shapes that challenge any notion of binary gender.

"I resist the idea that you have to live as a man or as a woman," Cassils explains. "I didn't know any queer people until my 20s, let alone have any language for a trans identity. I just remember wanting to present my body in a more male fashion. The crux of my work is to create something that isn't so black-and-white."
  •