Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Bought makeup today the right way

Started by Kaitlin4475, August 03, 2013, 09:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaitlin4475

So last night my wife ( away for 3 weeks :( )suggested that I go shopping for make up. She gave me a budget of $150, which I subsequently surpassed to the total of $230 ouch!.. Anywho, I was at the mall which was packed and I was so shy and embarrassed that I probably walked passed Sephora (cosmetics store) like 20 times. After texting my wife for a little moral support I finally mustered up the courage to walk in. Once inside trying not to sound too awkward I choked out what I was looking for. The sales lady was so helpful and referred me to the color technician who was also super nice and helpful. I had sorta kinda knew what I needed but not really so she explained everything as well as how to apply, then started giving me a makeover. She made it fun and not awkward at all, and I looked amazing. What a difference a little makeup could do, no feelings of dysphoria, I felt calm and really just wonderful like i've actually accomplished something today. She made me feel like one of the girls. I can't wait to practice and find my look ;D but wow I suggest this to everyone that has ever wished they could get a makeover professionally, do it!!! so worth it, way better than buying >-bleeped-<ty makeup at cvs or something and trying to just wing it by yourself, she broke the steps down so that I could do them myself. I don't often venture away from my comfort bubble, I'm so glad I did.
BTW.. sorry for the longass post
  •  

Athena

good for you and glad to hear it went well
Formally known as White Rabbit
  •  

justpat

My wife has been a great help we went to the store and picked up some things went back went back and tried again ,she is laughing right now. Anyway she is wonderful and has tried many looks on me but ugly is ugly kinda like lipstick on a pig.But we are getting better! Thing is practice does make presentable.
  •  

Beth Andrea

I'll have to try Sephora...I went to Macy's and got a sample of the properly tinted foundation (I looked great after the make-over, btw)...but quite frankly $230 is a little bit out of my price point (Macy's estimate was about $400, btw)

But using the sample, I was able to make a color match using two shades of Cover Girl foundation, in a 50/50 mix. I've had several people tell me I "have great skin!" When I tell them I have just a little makeup on, they check closer...and by golly, there it is!

So yeah, go to the more upscale places for professional help and instruction, if you get your stuff there use it for fancy shindigs...but use drug store stuff for workaday routines.

Unless you're rich, in which case...have fun with that!
...I think for most of us it is a futile effort to try and put this genie back in the bottle once she has tasted freedom...

--read in a Tessa James post 1/16/2017
  •  

Kaitlin4475

I like sephora because its inside of an actual store so I don't have to sit out in the open like macy's and have everyone stare at me, I did get a few stares but they were all good ones with smiles and nods :)
  •  

Madison Leigh

Quote from: Kaitlin4475 on August 03, 2013, 09:06:54 PM
So last night my wife ( away for 3 weeks :( )suggested that I go shopping for make up. She gave me a budget of $150, which I subsequently surpassed to the total of $230 ouch!.. Anywho, I was at the mall which was packed and I was so shy and embarrassed that I probably walked passed Sephora (cosmetics store) like 20 times. After texting my wife for a little moral support I finally mustered up the courage to walk in. Once inside trying not to sound too awkward I choked out what I was looking for. The sales lady was so helpful and referred me to the color technician who was also super nice and helpful. I had sorta kinda knew what I needed but not really so she explained everything as well as how to apply, then started giving me a makeover. She made it fun and not awkward at all, and I looked amazing. What a difference a little makeup could do, no feelings of dysphoria, I felt calm and really just wonderful like i've actually accomplished something today. She made me feel like one of the girls. I can't wait to practice and find my look ;D but wow I suggest this to everyone that has ever wished they could get a makeover professionally, do it!!! so worth it, way better than buying >-bleeped-<ty makeup at cvs or something and trying to just wing it by yourself, she broke the steps down so that I could do them myself. I don't often venture away from my comfort bubble, I'm so glad I did.

I had the same kind of experience at Sephora.  The technician I had was wonderful - and I also ended up spending way more than I had intended to; but in hindsight it was worth it as several of the products she used have turned out much better than what I had been using.  I've become especially fond of the "They're Real" mascara. 
  •  

Lyric

You can find good makeup items at CVS and discount stores, but you need to know what you're doing. What you paid for is quality customer service and as a beginner that was well worth the price. Once you know more about it all and know your best colors and such you can experiment with lower priced items.

~ Lyric ~
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •  

spooky

i think that it's always worth it to buy quality cosmetics from more upscale retailers.  a little bit of difference in price and quality does go a long way.  even buying a full makeup kit at CVS is going to be costly.  and CVS is never going to have the same customer service or even just testers for you to try out ahead of time.  for me, besides the quality issue, what's even more important is that many of these upscale places have amazing return policies that make every expense worth it.  sephora gives you 30 days to return anything for any reason for a full refund.  barney's gives you 90 days.  nordstrom, forever.  so yes, i'd much rather spend more money on better products and have the option of returning them - which i honestly do do about half of the time.  i am not rich, and if i'm going to spend money i had better be getting exactly what i want.
:icon_chick:
  •  

Ms. OBrien CVT

QuoteShe gave me a budget of $150, which I subsequently surpassed to the total of $230 ouch!

Easy to do at Sephora, but they do have great stuff.

Hopefully she won't kill you for going over budget.

It does not take courage or bravery to change your gender.  It takes fear of living one more day in the wrong one.~me
  •  

KabitTarah

Wow! As soon as I get my own place (so... next summer?) If I'm not too indebted by it... I'm going to make my sister take me to Sephora for a makeover and cosmetics purchase!!

I just spent $15 at CVS (after $15 Extra Care bucks... though I got $3 more back) just buying some brushes, a compact, and nail hardener (more for the uke I don't play enough than for my trans* issues, I tell myself).

No idea how to use any of it... may make my own thread.
~ Tarah ~

•  

Cassie 4 Ever!!!

Quote from: Kaitlin4475 on August 03, 2013, 09:06:54 PM

Awwww, Now I want to go. I have never had a make over in the mall yet! Looks like you are ahead of me, HEY! I am glad that you ventured away from your comfort bubble. I realized that the fear I had for people not accepting me was internal. Most people are understanding and if they are not, then they at least have the courtesy to not say anything. We all need to take baby steps and doing this in the Mall i would say is more than a baby step. Congrats. So many people say that I am brave but really, you are braver than me, as I would never have even considered going into the mall and getting a make over like you did.

As for how to use it, have you looked for tutorials on youtube? Do you have any girlfriends that you can ask to show you and teach you? My friends love doing make up with me. Some because they love it, and some because they are curious how someone who they see as a guy, could ever look like a woman.

A lot of us are scared, but Kaitlin. Keep your head up high, stay focused on how you feel, and be honest to those feelings. People may disapprove at first, but they will come around, and if not, they are going to miss one lovely woman. People will laugh, people will doubt, some will have a lot of denial and disbelief in their eyes, but slowly, they will see the happiness, and the woman that resides from within emerge. I'm fresh down this journey and it wasnt too long ago that I was a scared girl, afraid to tell the world that I am not the man they see. Just remember, the people who love you might take a while to transition with you, and they too must deal with this. But for those who truly love you, gender, sex, orientation will not matter. Get a group of friends who you trust, and get some layers of support. Friends, family, support group, ect.
  •