Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Do we have a PAC?

Started by Hikari, October 25, 2013, 07:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hikari

I See lots of organizations that I assume have associated superPACs and whatnot that represent the LGBT community, but it seems to me the vast majority of the spending gets sent to candidates who support same sex marriage, regardless of their stances on things like ENDA or bathroom use, etc. Is there any sort of trans specific PAC that we can support? I am all for rights of all sorts, I would rather have candidates who support my number 1 issues (trans issues), Same sex marriage is nice, but I want more.

Furthermore, is there any sort of Trans rating agency for elected officials/candidates, I have been thinking instead of just mindlessly voting for the person with a D beside his or her name, perhaps it makes sense to start voting in primaries based on the issues I care about, namely LGBT issues, but I really lack the information to make informed choices in the primaries.
私は女の子 です!My Blog - Hikari's Transition Log http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/board,377.0.html
  •  

genderhell

Quote from: Hikari on October 25, 2013, 07:39:20 PM
. Is there any sort of trans specific PAC that we can support? I am all for rights of all sorts, I would rather have candidates who support my number 1 issues (trans issues), Same sex marriage is nice, but I want more.

I concur.

There are successful people like myself that would contribute.

I think they should grant asylum to asylum-seeking trans people throughout the world and bring them into the U.S. It is hard enough to not commit suicide in a semi-tolerant society like the U.S. The suicide/murder rates must really be high outside the Western world countries.
  •  

LordKAT

Quote from: genderhell on October 26, 2013, 10:42:49 AM
I concur.

There are successful people like myself that would contribute.

I think they should grant asylum to asylum-seeking trans people throughout the world and bring them into the U.S. It is hard enough to not commit suicide in a semi-tolerant society like the U.S. The suicide/murder rates must really be high outside the Western world countries.

Not just western countries that are tolerant to varying degrees. Australia and Thailand for instance.  Also the US is not the best at this tolerance by any means.
  •  

Heather

Quote from: Hikari on October 25, 2013, 07:39:20 PM
I See lots of organizations that I assume have associated superPACs and whatnot that represent the LGBT community, but it seems to me the vast majority of the spending gets sent to candidates who support same sex marriage, regardless of their stances on things like ENDA or bathroom use, etc. Is there any sort of trans specific PAC that we can support? I am all for rights of all sorts, I would rather have candidates who support my number 1 issues (trans issues), Same sex marriage is nice, but I want more.

Furthermore, is there any sort of Trans rating agency for elected officials/candidates, I have been thinking instead of just mindlessly voting for the person with a D beside his or her name, perhaps it makes sense to start voting in primaries based on the issues I care about, namely LGBT issues, but I really lack the information to make informed choices in the primaries.
I hate to say it but that is never going to happen they are just way to few of us to ever be a significant power at the voting booth. And what has made the gay rights movement so successful is the fact they are out there demanding equal rights.
We on the other hand are not and without the gay rights movement we wouldn't have what little rights we do have now. I was reading a quote from Madonna this morning that sums this up. "A lot of people are afraid to say what they want. So they don't get what they want." And that's the problem with trans rights we are not out there saying what we want and the gay lobby is, and that's why marriage equality is front and center and trans issues are not.
  •  

VeronicaLynn

All the more reason we probably need a PAC...

It would probably help even more if someone really rich like Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, Carlos Slim, etc, were to come out as transgender...not saying any of those 3 guys is, just if someone in that group were, things would change significantly...
  •