News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Neil Patrick Harris and "Hedwig and the Angry Inch"

Started by ChelseaAnn, October 29, 2013, 03:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gina Taylor

Quote from: ChelseaAnn on October 29, 2013, 03:22:41 PM
I was surprised this wasn't put up yet, so I guess I'll post it.

http://www.queerty.com/neil-patrick-harris-to-play-transgender-rocker-in-hedwig-and-the-angry-inch-on-broadway-20130617/

Yeah, I was just reading about that, but my only problem with it is how well can he pull it off. For example, in the movie Transamerica, they could have done a better job by having an actual transsexual in the movie instead of an actress.
Gina Marie Taylor  8)
  •  

dalebert

Quote from: Gina Taylor on November 06, 2013, 12:54:40 PM
Yeah, I was just reading about that, but my only problem with it is how well can he pull it off. For example, in the movie Transamerica, they could have done a better job by having an actual transsexual in the movie instead of an actress.

I've heard that before but how many trans actors are there? I don't know. There could be a lot who auditioned, for all I know, but my impression is not many trans people go into acting. If you seen a movie with bad actors, and there are many, you must realize how important it is to get someone with acting skill or it takes you right out of the movie and makes it hard to believe. I think acting skill is higher priority as long as you can make someone passable as the character physically.

dalebert

And a follow-up thought to that is how many folks here have thought about going into acting and really applying themselves? This might turn out to be a niche market with a very small supply. I'm sure a lot of directors doing a movie like this would love to have an actual trans person as long as they can find one who looks the part and who can act well.

Gina Taylor

Good point there Dalebert. I'll have to do some research.
Gina Marie Taylor  8)
  •  

Jill F

Quote from: dalebert on November 06, 2013, 01:27:09 PM
And a follow-up thought to that is how many folks here have thought about going into acting and really applying themselves? This might turn out to be a niche market with a very small supply. I'm sure a lot of directors doing a movie like this would love to have an actual trans person as long as they can find one who looks the part and who can act well.

I think transfolk would have an advantage in acting.  I was acting my entire $%^& life until last year when I couldn't stand to do it one more day.

I portrayed a dudely dude for decades and nobody was any the wiser.  Oscar please...
  •  

Gina Taylor

This is what I found:
•   Alexis Arquette (b. 1969), American actor and musician
•   Alexandra Billings (b. 1962), American actress, singer, and educator
•   M. C. Brennan (b. 1969), American author, filmmaker and performer
•   Jamie Clayton, American model and actress
•   Caroline Cossey, professional name "Tula" (b. 1954), English model, actress, and author
•   Laverne Cox, American actress, producer, and advocate
•   Krystal Summers (b. 1977), American actress, entertainer, performer, and emceee

Gina Marie Taylor  8)
  •  

Shana A

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•  

Gina Taylor

Quote from: Shana A on November 06, 2013, 10:45:12 PM
Harmony Santana - from the film "Gun Hill Road"

Ooops . . . Looks like I forgot one! Thanks for picking that one up for me Shana.  :)
Gina Marie Taylor  8)
  •