Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Old age can bring new stigmas for gay men and lesbians

Started by suzifrommd, October 06, 2013, 09:23:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suzifrommd

Old age can bring new stigmas for gay men and lesbians

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/gays-and-lesbians-struggle-to-find-caregivers-and-old-age-facilities-that-dont-discriminate/2013/10/05/22d57d0c-2b00-11e3-8ade-a1f23cda135e_story.html

By Tara Bahrampour, Published: October 5

When a physical therapist paid a home visit to Billy Jones-Hennin after a back operation, one element of the "treatment" harked back to an era he thought he had left behind decades ago.

"He took it upon himself to decide to pray for me," said Jones-Hennin, 71, a qualitative researcher who identifies as bisexual and has been in a relationship with a man for 35 years. "He wanted to clear the demons out of me and my partner and started doing this 'hell and damnation' about homosexuality."

The Shaw resident lived through the Stonewall era and resides in one of the nation's most gay-friendly cities. Furious, he ordered the therapist out and complained to the agency that sent him. But older lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people, including those among the first to come out as a political and social force, are increasingly apprehensive about encountering discrimination as they grow older and more dependent on strangers for care.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

suzifrommd

I posted this article from the Washington Post because I admit it's a concern for me.

I'm not so young that I'm immune to thoughts about what will become of me when my health and independence declines.

If I end up in assisted living or a nursing home, where hiding the parts of my body that are identifiably male becomes harder, will attitudes prevent me from getting care or acceptance?
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

Beth Andrea

It's a major concern for me, too. Proper care and respect, but also trusting that one's partner (if cis- ) won't leave.

I have big, HUGE trust issues with people...being TS makes things like this even more magnified.
...I think for most of us it is a futile effort to try and put this genie back in the bottle once she has tasted freedom...

--read in a Tessa James post 1/16/2017
  •  

Amy The Bookworm

Wow. Just wow.

I used to be in nursing. I can say that even the most basic trained CNAs are told flat out that you're supposed to respect other's religious and personal views when treating them. A caregiver of any kind going and 'praying demons' out of LGBT people who are sick and need that person's help is breaking at least a few ethics violations.

This shouldn't happen to anyone, LGBT or not.
  •  

Lauren5

I never did think of this, considering how I'm so young, but clearly, it's a concern. Likely since transition will mean separation from my family, and I'm not sure whether I want to start one of my own with adopted children and a  partner, it could lead to some decisions ahead. A long way ahead, but they still exist.
For all of you who are getting to that age where self care is getting difficult, stay safe :)
Hey, you've reached Lauren's signature! If you have any questions, want to talk, or just need a shoulder to cry on, leave me a message, and I'll get back to you.
*beep*

Full time: 12/12/13
Started hormones: 26/3/14
FFS: No clue, winter/spring 2014/15 maybe?
SRS: winter/spring 2014/15?
  •  

LordKAT

As I recently learned,nursing homes don't have to accept having you. It took a few tries for me and was told outright that the trans issue was the reason.
  •