News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Men / Women buttoning on coats?

Started by Apples Mk.II, October 11, 2013, 02:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apples Mk.II

Ok, one last thread to end the day...

Today we were shopping for a winter coat. From the beginning, I knew what did I want and this baby came home with me:

(Trust me, it looks much better without a flash and put on me)

But while I was trying it for size at the store, my friend tells me: " Wait, you are buttoning it on men's style"

So far, the first time I notice these things was the first time I put a blouse or woman's shirt and found that the button and buttonhole sides where swapped. That morning I needed several minutes to button it, giving each hand the opposite function on the buttoning process, which was not exactly particularly easy on the first times.

After getting home I checked my last man's blazer (nice waste of 125€, from a time I had an urge for dressing "manlier"), and yup, the side that goes on top of the other is completely opposed. I started looking for coat photos on the net, and damn, never noticed that detail. Although given the fact that I had been fashion blind until my GID explored...

Fun, isn't it? I remember a comic book from more than twenty years ago, in which a detective always found the solution to a case, but never explained it (it was written in small letters at the back of the page). In one of the stories he had to caught a criminal hidden between a lot of people, and after showing a scene with a crowd, he quickly found the criminal disguised as a woman. And the small text on the back page was "The thief has buttoned the coat as a man would do".

Fun that I did not understand it until today, almost twenty years later. Have you had any similar stories when you started dressing as your real gender?
  •  

Sammy

I have read somewhere that the belt is supposed to run into opposite direction as well :) - counterclockwise for guys and clockwise for girls. I was aware of the opposite style buttoning, but, for example, my ex has several pairs of women jeans (if there exist a gender for jeans, of course :) and they all buttoned in the same manner as my pairs... Go, figure :)
  •  

Robin Mack

Hrm... I haven't had any clothing that could button both ways, yet... but I *do* remember the first time I put on a very tailored blouse.

It's a lovely peach thing that fits tightly around my ribs and waist, accentuating what I have not (in pre-HRT stages) in fact, got, and it also flairs at the waist to again accentuate the barely-there assets.  I was in heaven twirling in front of the mirror, *loving* the illusion of a feminine shape.

Then it was time to take the article off.  I couldn't unbutton it (no buttons).  It was in place.  The engineer in me said that it obviously would come off, since I had gotten it on, but short of inverting myself so gravity could help with the removal as it had with putting the thing on, I was stumped.

Then I remembered what I had seen girlfriends do all my life and it hit me.  I crossed my arms in front of me, grabbed the sides of my blouse (left hand on right side of dress and vice-versa) then lifted it off of me.  It felt so good, and I felt like I had joined some kind of "Sisterhood of the Removable Blouse".  I was thrilled.  :)
  •  

Sammy

Quote from: robinmack on October 11, 2013, 03:19:21 PM
Then I remembered what I had seen girlfriends do all my life and it hit me.  I crossed my arms in front of me, grabbed the sides of my blouse (left hand on right side of dress and vice-versa) then lifted it off of me.  It felt so good, and I felt like I had joined some kind of "Sisterhood of the Removable Blouse".  I was thrilled.  :)

Yes, that's the way You are supposed to do that :). I remember when I was 1x years old and in denial I read somewhere about most typical gender differences and there was this one about taking Your shirt/top off. Guys would grab its collar and pull up over the head, while girls would pull the sides inverting it. I remember that I instantly tried to do that in the girl way and strangely it felt sooooo good that I decided never to do that again, because someone might see me. Now, I do that all the time :).
  •  

Robin Mack

Quote from: -Emily- on October 11, 2013, 04:34:53 PM
Yes, that's the way You are supposed to do that :). I remember when I was 1x years old and in denial I read somewhere about most typical gender differences and there was this one about taking Your shirt/top off. Guys would grab its collar and pull up over the head, while girls would pull the sides inverting it. I remember that I instantly tried to do that in the girl way and strangely it felt sooooo good that I decided never to do that again, because someone might see me. Now, I do that all the time :).

Oh how well I know that feeling... like talking with my hands, or naturally letting my wrist relax, or hugging myself... and yes, it feels *wonderful* and I now do it all the time, even when wearing male T-shirts.

Isn't it wonderful to shed the shackles of male convention?  :)
  •  

Sammy

Being free feels sooo good :). Yet, I had been reading other materials about female/male communication patterns and I fear that many of us (myself for example) are still lacking in many areas and I am not sure it would be possible to fully re-condition ourselves (as an example - I am still very into problem solving approach and I cant dish out compliments without at least little consideration...)
  •  

LordKAT

My prob is not putting hand on hip in mid conversation when I'm bored.
  •  

Robin Mack

Quote from: LordKAT on October 11, 2013, 04:48:06 PM
*heh*  I can imagine... I actually am starting to have that problem (and other similar problems) when presenting as male at work. :P
  •  

Sammy

Quote from: LordKAT on October 11, 2013, 04:48:06 PM

What is that one about?
  •  

LordKAT

Women tend to stand with a hand on their hip. It also tends to show off hip size. It is a body language give-away. I try not to do it but catch myself doing it anyway.
  •  

Sammy

Quote from: LordKAT on October 11, 2013, 05:16:17 PM
Women tend to stand with a hand on their hip. It also tends to show off hip size. It is a body language give-away. I try not to do it but catch myself doing it anyway.

Thanks ;) I have been always doing that, btw... But is not that supposed to bring out Your elbows, thus sort of making You to look bigger (i.e. male pattern)? My current problem (I am not out on job) when talking with guys is trying to stop looking into their eyes all the time and tilting my head when I listen...
  •  

Shakti

Quote from: ♡ Emily ♡ on October 11, 2013, 04:34:53 PM

I've always taken tops off by grabbing the sides, I wasn't aware that was a girl thing, taking it off by the collar just seems awkward.
  •