Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Reaching out to trans people of color

Started by HelenW, October 20, 2013, 02:07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HelenW

My trans support group isn't racially mixed at all and I'm having trouble thinking of more ways to reach out. Jamestown has a good sized Latin@ and African American community but the trans people among them seem to remain invisible. We haven't had any people of color come and then decide to stop attending so I don't think it's racism in our group that is keeping them away, although that may come up in the future (I hope not but it's possible).

We need new ways to reach out but I'm drawing a blank as to what I can do that I haven't already tried. Are there any people in my community who can give me some ideas?
FKA: Emelye

Pronouns: she/her

My rarely updated blog: http://emelyes-kitchen.blogspot.com

Southwestern New York trans support: http://www.southerntiertrans.org/
  •  

Chaos

Quote from: HelenW, formerly Emelye on October 20, 2013, 02:07:44 PM
My trans support group isn't racially mixed at all and I'm having trouble thinking of more ways to reach out. Jamestown has a good sized Latin@ and African American community but the trans people among them seem to remain invisible. We haven't had any people of color come and then decide to stop attending so I don't think it's racism in our group that is keeping them away, although that may come up in the future (I hope not but it's possible).

We need new ways to reach out but I'm drawing a blank as to what I can do that I haven't already tried. Are there any people in my community who can give me some ideas?

This is rather a touchy subject when it comes to the black community for many reasons and i dont feel that there is anything certain that can be done in order to change the order of things.Its always been VERY hard for the black community to be open about their orientation,let alone their gender identity but thats from within their own community and something they struggle with.I have seen and heard many admit that it is very hard and rarely accepted to be gay,let alone transgender and because of what that community expects of them in general.As a people who have had alot of discrimination in the past,they hold pride into their ability to marry *which we all know wasnt always possible* and so many other things,so being LGBTQ is something that almost knocks off all the hard work they did *per say that is* i think that it needs to be on a personal level if you wish to get to know people of color and not make them feel like they are separate,even if thats not the case-i feel they need to know on a personal level that they ARE accepted regardless of anything.I cant say much about the Latin community and its possible that they may have the same mind set and lack of acceptance.But as human beings,we could all use the connection with each other.
All Thing's Come With A Price...
  •  

Lo

Like Chaos said, TPoC have different needs than white trans* people when it comes to support. Dealing with racial stereotypes coupled with religiosity or the tendency to be more family-oriented are very real hurdles. I hate to say it, but I know for me, it would be harder to just walk away from my family if things went sour than it seems like it would be for the average white person.

While I'm white-skinned, as a Latin@ I wouldn't feel comfortable in an all-white group in the same way I wouldn't feel comfortable (and definitely not relevant) in a group for teens. I just have different concerns at this point in my life than a junior in HS might.

Perhaps try doing a one-off event with a theme or subject that is relevant. Or reach out and see if a TPoC might be interested in starting a group specifically for PoC. (And make sure there isn't already a support network in place for them that you're just currently ignorant of.)
  •