Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

The Hedgehog appreciation thread! ^-^

Started by ♥︎ SarahD ♥︎, November 29, 2013, 09:45:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crackpot

Aww I've never even heard of her but she looks super cute.
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain
  •  

Miss_Bungle1991

Quote from: Tiffols on January 12, 2014, 01:37:54 PM
Aww I've never even heard of her but she looks super cute.

You got that right. She was a character from a cartoon in the mid-80s called "The Get Along Gang".
  •  

Eevee

Aww, I love hedgehogs. I have two now. My albino is the grumpy  one and the other is super hyper and friendly.

Eevee

Because its genetic makeup is irregular, it quickly changes its form due to a variety of causes.

•  

Dread_Faery

I will post pictures of fluffy, our pet hedgie
  •  

♥︎ SarahD ♥︎

*sqwee*!  This thread is still going??  I haven't been around for a while I'd forgotten I'd made this! :D  Aww, all those pics are soooo cute! *cuddles all the adorable little things before remembering they're prickly - owie!* :D

Quote from: Dread_Faery on September 25, 2014, 05:42:39 PM
I will post pictures of fluffy, our pet hedgie

Awww, please do, I'd love to see them! :D <3
*Hugs*
"You never find the path to your true self, but rather - you find your true self along the path"
  •  

Newgirl Dani

They have great adaptation skills as well.     :)  Dani
  •  

Mitchell the Deathbell

"Whoops, there it goes... Yep. My brain stopped."
  •  

AshtonRose626

Oh gosh yes! I love hedgehogs! I wish I could get one!

"Good doesn't lead to good, nor bad to bad. People who steal, don't get caught, live the good life. Others lie, cheat and get elected" - Jigsaw
  •  

The Flying Lemur

I had hedgehogs for years.  They're expensive, though--special food, special vet requirements, etc.  I can't really afford one now.  Sometime in the future I imagine I'll get another one, though.

This is Spirit, my last little hedgie.  She passed away a few years ago at the age of four.  :(

The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are. --Joseph Campbell
  •  

Kylo

I had a ex-wild one for a while. As long as you get rid of their parasites, internal and external, they can make fine and interesting pets. It's a shame to see so many of them killed on the country roads around here.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

MaryT

I used to put hedgehog food out for the wild ones in the back garden.  For security, I put a lock insert into the back door lock.  I had a human visitor, though, and the key to the insert disappeared, so I can't open my back door.  From the look of things, I would have to pay to have the whole door replaced and I can't afford that.  I miss feeding and watching the hedgehogs.
  •  

V M

A girlfriend had one and we would take turns putting it on our bellies because it would tickle as it scooted about LOL
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

MaryT

Love 'em.  I used to put out special hedgehog food in the back garden.  I put an insert in the lock of the back door but then mislaid the special key, so I don't open the back door anymore, and no longer feed them.  M>-bleeped-<ies ate most of what I put out, anyway.
  •  

Dena

One way of solving the problem is to uninstall the lock if you can still access the side of the door you installed it from. You can also pull the pins out of the hinges and gain full access to the lock. If none of these work, call a professional lock smith and if they can't remove it, they can drill it. At least you will save the cost of replacing the door with that approach.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Jailyn

OMG Yaaaaaaasssss!!! I have had several hogs as pets!!! They are so fun and everyone is like "well aren't they pokey?" They really aren't if you aren't trying to harm them. I just want to squish their cute faces!!!!
  •  

MaryT

Quote from: Dena on May 04, 2018, 09:14:59 PM
One way of solving the problem is to uninstall the lock if you can still access the side of the door you installed it from. You can also pull the pins out of the hinges and gain full access to the lock. If none of these work, call a professional lock smith and if they can't remove it, they can drill it. At least you will save the cost of replacing the door with that approach.

Thank you, Dena.  I did try unscrewing the lock but the mechanism seemed to be too integrated with the door itself.  I even tried to saw through the insert.  I haven't tried pulling the pins out of the hinges yet, so that is worth looking into.  A neighbour also recently agreed with you that if necessary, the lock could be drilled so that so that I shouldn't have to replace the door, so that is good to know.

It will be nice to feed the hedgehogs and birds again.
  •  

Dena

Quote from: MaryT on May 05, 2018, 07:40:46 AM
Thank you, Dena.  I did try unscrewing the lock but the mechanism seemed to be too integrated with the door itself.  I even tried to saw through the insert.  I haven't tried pulling the pins out of the hinges yet, so that is worth looking into.  A neighbour also recently agreed with you that if necessary, the lock could be drilled so that so that I shouldn't have to replace the door, so that is good to know.

It will be nice to feed the hedgehogs and birds again.
When I get new keys, when ever possible I get duplicates made and store the original should the key I normally use get lost. I had to rekey the house so I ask for 8 original cut keys. This was because original cut keys work better than duplicates and as the machine was set up to cut original keys there was no problem making more. Yes original cut keys are more expensive but I really learned the lesson with my roommates car. It was a lease car before she bough it and she never received the original key. My key was about a third cut and I had to be careful with it in order to make it work. It ended up that my key was the primary key after the other key broke so I went to the dealer, got the key code then took it to a lock smith and had 4 original cut keys make. Should have done it years ago.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

MaryT

Quote from: Dena on May 05, 2018, 01:44:59 PM
When I get new keys, when ever possible I get duplicates made and store the original should the key I normally use get lost. I had to rekey the house so I ask for 8 original cut keys. This was because original cut keys work better than duplicates and as the machine was set up to cut original keys there was no problem making more. Yes original cut keys are more expensive but I really learned the lesson with my roommates car. It was a lease car before she bough it and she never received the original key. My key was about a third cut and I had to be careful with it in order to make it work. It ended up that my key was the primary key after the other key broke so I went to the dealer, got the key code then took it to a lock smith and had 4 original cut keys make. Should have done it years ago.

I'll do that, thanks.  Hedgehogs, here I come!
  •