Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

What drawing tablet should I get?

Started by Joe., November 19, 2013, 06:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe.

I've been looking to buy a drawing tablet because I want to look more into graphic drawing and design. I want it to be simple to use because it will be my first one. I also want to use it to draw and edit pictures that I've done on paper. I'm not sure what software I need so if it is included that is better. I am also on a budget and looking at a price of approximately £50. Does anybody have any recommendations? Thanks
  •  

Devlyn

When I was your age we chiseled everything on stone tablets. Whippersnappers!   

<muttering, nodding off in rocking chair>
  •  

Kytri

Wacom is generally considered industry standard, but they are very expensive. I had a teeny tiny $100 model for many years and it worked very nicely, but it was also super little and cost $100

Now I use use one from a brand called Monoprice and I LOVE it. I have one of the largest models and it only cost me about $50USD and it has way more levels of pressure sensitivity than the tiny wacom did. I'm actually thinking of upgrading to their tablet monitor if I can save up enough.

But yeah, monoprice. It should fit easily into your budget and they are really high quality.
  •  

Joe.

Thank you for the information. I was looking at the wacom bamboo graphic pen tablet but I'm aware that it is a bit small. Does that mean I can only draw pictures of that size? Also, with the monoprice, does it come with art software? How exactly does it work? Sorry, I'm new to this
  •  

Kytri

The size generally works at a 1 to 1 ratio to your monitor, like if you put the pen in the top left corner of the tablet your mouse will jump to that point on the screen, so a larger tablet allows you to get better detail. 
The monoprice doesn't come with any drawing software, just a disk with the drivers and some tablet PC software which is kind of useless IMO. I don't know if the wacoms come with software anymore because the last one I bought was about 15 years ago, it came with a disk of out of date software on it, and some trials of adobe products.

Either way you may want to get software separately.  Adobe stuff is really expensive and while I use photoshop quite a lot I don't recommend it for drawing. Its line algorithm suuuuucks. It's okay for coloring and painting though if you tweak the settings enough.

If you want something cheaper the new Manga Studio is about $80 and pretty intuitive in my opinion. Paint Tool SAI is also very nice to draw in and costs $50-$60, but if you have a monoprice tablet and dual monitors it glitches out really bad. There's also several free softwares on the market but they usually are kind of lacking in features so I don't use them much.
  •  

Joe.

Thanks for all the info. I will look more into them tomorrow. The monoprice looks appealing and is within my price range, but the software issue puts me off (I'm not great with installing stuff haha). I appreciate all the suggestions, I'll definitely look into them.
  •