Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Galvanic Multi Probe Electrolysis - Skin Irritation

Started by helen2010, February 04, 2014, 06:48:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

helen2010

I have been having multi probe electrolysis 3 hours per week for approx 8 months having earlier achieved one full clearing of my face using thermolysis.  My beard is noticeably thinner in all areas which is great - only another 80 hours to go, I hope!
On the downside my hands have become increasingly irritated through holding the electrodes.  They have become quite sore and then a few days later they become incredibly itchy, causing me to scratch and scratch resulting in peeling skin and some bleeding.  My electrologist switched to an electrode bracelet which moves up and down each arm during a treatment.  I have had the odd burn but the irritation, while annoying is manageable.  However my sense is that it is getting worse even though I use my hands for the first hour and the bracelets for the final two hours.
Is there any way of preventing this irritation?  I have tried barrier creams with only limited success.  I don't want to revert to bi weekly treatments to allow my hands/forearms to recover between treatments  as this would double the time needed to complete the beard removal. 
  •  

luna nyan

Hi Aisla,

I had the same problem as you with the electrodes.  I had an electrode bracelet and we had it moved up and down the arm every 20 minutes and that seemed to be well tolerated by my skin.  Make sure you look after your skin well between appointments - keep the water intake up and the skin well moisturised - I found that reduced the level of irritation.

I had a 45 minute touch up session recently, and I forgot to tell the new electrologist to move he electrode but my arm didn't welt.  It had been 4 years since my last session and close to 2 years on low dose HRT.  Take from that what you will.

Hope this helps.
Drifting down the river of life...
My 4+ years non-transitioning HRT experience
Ask me anything!  I promise you I know absolutely everything about nothing! :D
  •  

helen2010

Luna
Many thanks for this. Great to know that the skin reaction is not that unusual and I shouldn't be too concerned.  Today's 3 hr session wasn't too bad as I held the electrodes for the first hour, then moved them up and down and between each arm for a further 2 hours.  Will moisturise more regularly and drink more water as suggested.
If you don't mind me asking how long did it take to achieve a full clearance in a single session?  While I have had a dozen laser sessions, approx 66 hrs of blend and 89 hrs of galvanic my electrologist thinks it could take another 60 hrs for the first full clearance in a session.   Time consuming, costly, and uncomfortable but in my case very necessary!
Best  Aisla
  •  

helen2010

Luna
Forgot to add that I have also been on a low, but variable, dose hrt for a similar time to you
Best.  Aisha
  •  

luna nyan

Aisla,

I'm an outlier, as the only facial hair I ever developed was on the chin, upper lip, and a tiny bit on the sideburns.  I had first full clearance at around 25 hours on a 16 probe galvanic - I was that hirsute!  It took about another 15 hours for the leftover growth to be cleared.  With no HRT I think I was going back about once a year for a touchup (1 hour and appointment lengths dropping each year) to remove the dozen or so hairs that matured into full follicles, and only having to wave a razor over my face once every 4 days or so to deal with whatever pathetic hairs grew.

At the time I had no idea which way I was headed, but hated shaving my face due to the irritation involved, and my one week stubble was what my Greek friends would get in 4 hours!
Drifting down the river of life...
My 4+ years non-transitioning HRT experience
Ask me anything!  I promise you I know absolutely everything about nothing! :D
  •  

helen2010

Luna
I am more than a little envious.  When I was in the military I had to shave twice a day.  Now if I had started the hair removal when the hairs were still black rather than a mixture of black, grey and white it would have been a lot easier and quicker as laser would have had a much greater impact.
Will keep plugging away.
Aisla
  •