Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Does our name endanger trans folk?

Started by dalebert, December 27, 2013, 10:19:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dalebert

I'm a bit stunned. I just got flamed over the name of my podcast. We've used the name for about two years and never heard a peep about it, at least not that I can recall. We've got lots of listeners who are trans and many have called into the show. I can hardly remember a hostile call or even one that wasn't generally friendly. It's a little odd. We frequently discuss controversial subjects so I expect the occasional hostile/disagreeable caller. I'm prepared for those and a lively debate can even spice up a show, though I would expect that from someone who is LGBT-hostile. This response caught me completely off-guard. I haven't yet asked our new trans co-host what she thinks as she's been unavailable through the holidays.

Since it's a public post, you shouldn't need a Diaspora account to see it, but if you want to reply, this server is one I've been using for my account and seems fine. It has lots of room for new accounts.

This is the post. I'll also copypasta for your convenience but if you want the OP to see your thoughts on it, you would need to post the response there. I suppose she might also be active here, but if so, she hasn't said anything about my podcast before and it's in my signature. I've edited it very slightly just for language.

QuoteRosie Hawtrey
Do you have some sort of mental soft-short in your minds? You want people to respect you and accept you for who you are - and you pick the name 'flaming freedom' - ffs you aren't a gay version of Memphis Belle - its like Stonewall changing its name to "Power to the Pooftahs"! Do you not realize that you put transpeople at risk by reinforcing stereotypes with titles like that- not breaking them down. Once George Bush asked a senior Muslim cleric to "edit" a Fatwah - I thought I'd never see something more f***ing stupid in my life.

Guess what - you lot just outf***witted the f***wit in chief - Congrats for putting back my safety 10 years.

Jamie D

Ricky Nelson once wrote ...

It's all right now,
learned my lesson well
You see, ya can't please everyone,
so you got to please yourself

There will always be cranks out there.  Pay them no mind.
  •  

JRD

Flaming is more of an adjective attributed to gay people, not trans. And really, coupled with the word "Freedom" it carries a different tone altogether, so don't worry about it, the person is just a bit too sensitive and seems to be looking for something to complain about.
  •  

dalebert

Quote from: big head horsey-face on December 27, 2013, 10:40:55 AM
Flaming is more of an adjective attributed to gay people, not trans.

That's something that I immediately thought about too. More specifically, it's a term for gay men. If someone was going to be offended, and I didn't expect that at all, I wouldn't expect it to be a trans person.

Edge

Flaming Freedom makes me think of actual flames. You know? Like the flames of rebellion or something.
  •  

SabrinaDubh

Have a look at the persons profile and other posts and you won't worry about it anymore. The person is an idiot.
  •  

Ms Grace

I don't get the meaning or context of the word "flaming"...? Must be a US thing, but I've never heard it used in relation to gay or trans*. Anyway, some people are, as Gwynne pointed out, crackpots. The only reason you'll need to worry is if they try to launch some kind of troll war against you. (I had that happen once over a non-trans* comic I drew! someone tried to assert I supported sexual assault because I drew an over enthusiastic, unexpected peck on the lips between two adults, sheesh. It's an age old comedy trope. Crackpot, right? Except they then started saying the most outrageous and libellous things. I fixed their wagon in the end but not before it stressed me out to the point of considering throwing in the towel.)
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

JoanneB

Quote from: Edge on December 27, 2013, 11:05:59 AM
Flaming Freedom makes me think of actual flames. You know? Like the flames of rebellion or something.
Either this or "Flaming" as what you're complaining about what happened. As in freedom getting flamed.

BTW - it can be a USA thing. "Flaming fag" etc is pretty popular usage. Flaming by itself means nuttin that I know know besides:

flamĀ·ing [fley-ming]
adjective
1.emitting flames; blazing; burning; fiery.
2.like a flame in brilliance, heat, or shape.
3.intensely ardent or passionate: flaming youth.
.          (Pile Driver)  
                    |
                    |
                    ^
(ROCK) ---> ME <--- (HARD PLACE)
  •  

Vicky

Maybe the person was a recovering pyromaniac!!!  Your title had the power to give them a Flashback and the were going to relapse!!  ??????  Just a thought==== >:-)
I refuse to have a war of wits with a half armed opponent!!

Wiser now about Post Op reality!!
  •  

Rachel

I am from Philadelphia PA, USA

My two second 1st thought was freedom on fire (freedom racing, going fast),
next thought, was burning freedom (to consume freedom with fire),
next thought was freedom failed and it is fired (out of a job).

Catchy name and I like it.
HRT  5-28-2013
FT   11-13-2015
FFS   9-16-2016 -Spiegel
GCS 11-15-2016 - McGinn
Hair Grafts 3-20-2017 - Cooley
Voice therapy start 3-2017 - Reene Blaker
Labiaplasty 5-15-2017 - McGinn
BA 7-12-2017 - McGinn
Hair grafts 9-25-2017 Dr.Cooley
Sataloff Cricothyroid subluxation and trachea shave12-11-2017
Dr. McGinn labiaplasty, hood repair, scar removal, graph repair and bottom of  vagina finished. urethra repositioned. 4-4-2018
Dr. Sataloff Glottoplasty 5-14-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal in office procedure 10-22-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal revision 2 4-3-2019 Bottom of vagina closed off, fat injected into the labia and urethra repositioned.
Dr. Thomas in 2020 FEMLAR
  •  

MiaOhMya!

She seems sooooo negative in genera; I mean check out her other posts. She really hates facebook, saying that it has "directly caused 4 murders" or something.
  •  

Adam (birkin)

I suppose in a way I see where she is coming from, as not all trans people would want to be associated with what "flaming" brings to mind (I think of super fabulous, lol). But, as for endangering people, I think that's taking it a bit far.
  •  

MiaOhMya!

By the way I think she means that "flaming" could mean like "flamer" which is stateside slang for a really obviously gay male...about the equivalent of calling someone a poofter or fairy...nothing to really get worked up about but one could take offence as it's hardly nice or classy.

It cant be THAT bad a term as there is a burger restaurant here named "Flamers". I still think that poster is a big moping minnie just ignore her.
  •  

Devlyn

Dalebert is BANNED for worrying about this.
  •  

Antonia J

Flaming or pooftah can both be pejorative terms...or not. Kind of like the N-word. Some can use it within the community with no negative connotation, just like some call each other affectionately by the N-word who are a part of that racial community. There are some who find them silly words, but people not in the LGBT community generally look at Flaming as a derogatory term toward gay men specifically, or non-passing male to female transgender people. Words have meaning, but the meaning varies by who is saying them, and in what context.
  •  

AdamMLP

My first thought was of an old man avoiding using proper swear words, I can imagine my grandfather saying "I can't see the flaming buttons on these new TV remotes!"  That doesn't really convey the sort of thing that I assume you're aiming for, almost like you don't want freedom, but my brain works in strange ways, so I doubt anyone else would see it that way.

My second was of a sort of "full steam ahead to freedom" interpretation, and I don't see anything wrong with that.

As far as I'm aware it's just a nice bit of alliteration.
  •  

Nero

Well, I can see how 'flaming' could possibly come off as denigrating 'freedom' as in 'flaming someone' on the internet. But it's certainly a reach. And as has been mentioned, 'flaming' is an adjective usually associated with gay males, so any interpretation of your name endangering trans folk specifically is absurd. Methinks this person is over sensitive. As a gay man (presumably, want to avoid labeling anyone), I'd say this word is perfectly within your rights to use.
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

dalebert

Quote from: JoanneB on December 27, 2013, 03:11:59 PM
3.intensely ardent or passionate: flaming youth.

This is the manner in which I mean it for the show.

Quote from: FA on December 27, 2013, 06:08:46 PMAs a gay man (presumably, want to avoid labeling anyone), I'd say this word is perfectly within your rights to use.

Haha. You presumed correctly.

Cindy

Well dalebert is pretty offensive to all berts who don't live in valleys! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

•