News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

How did you come out to your parents?

Started by Derpy, November 04, 2015, 05:10:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derpy

Hi!
I hope you are all feeling great and having a good day! :)
I am 20 and I am FtM pre-op and pre everything. I wear a packer and try to wear more masculine clothes, and as I came out to some of my friends I try to speak about me with the masculine pronouns as often as possible.
I've been living for 2 years outside my parents house because of college but now I'm back at their house because I change college and studies... It feels like I was finally free and now I'm back in prison. I doesn't feel that way all the time but often enough. I'm not out to them, but I'm tired of hiding after 2 years of being me everyday, as I wanted :/
The problem is I don't feel safe with my parents: they are making homophobic and transphobic jokes even though they know I'm bisexual and it hurts me a lot. I have problem getting along with my father and my mother is angry at me about that, but it has been that way since I was a child, so I guess that won't change.
So here is my question after that long text : have you been in that same situation or close to that one? How did you deal with it? Have you some advice?
Thanks in advance, and have a great day!
  •  

Elis

Hi, welcome to the forum :)

Sorry to hear how your parents are; they tend to be the hardest to convince. My dad knows nothing about LGBTQ stuff and is consequently quite uncomfortable about the whole thing. I only came out to him (still live at home) bcos I couldn't stand the mental torture of not being out.
I sent an email to him while at work detailing the way I feel, how I felt growing up so he knows this is not a phase and has always been evident and what my plans are on how to transition. I also included some articles on what trans is and why it's important. I don't know how the medical transition stuff works in France, I think you're the first French person on this forum that I'm aware of ;).
Don't be surprised if they blow up at you or act like they're supportive and later aren't. I've had to send my dad some texts after coming out in order to let him know that he's being hurtful. He's getting better but takes a while for all parents.

I'm also not straight unlike what my dad assumes (long story); I think it's for older generations to understand the complexities of sexuality.

Good luck, it's worth it in the end :)
They/them pronouns preferred.

•  

Derpy

Thank you for your answer!
I already try to talk to them about trans issues but all I got was some transphobic reaction like "they are mad people who should not be able to transition and should get stuff with medecine" or "well they are other way to enjoy your sexual life than pretend to be the other gender. It is stupid" etc.. And let's say that didn't give me the energy to say more. I'd like to tell them, so I won't have to hide anymore and I could begin my transition but I'm afraid they will get very angry (my dad hit me the last time :/) or ask me to leave the house or else :/ I get very anxious when I think about it but also when I have to hide :/
Good luck to you too! :)
  •  

Catherine Sarah

Hi Derpy,

Having never been in your actual situation, I would only think that it wouldn't be god for you, physically or mentally to come out to your parents while you're in the same house. From how you've explained their attitudes and constant negative comments, I don't think it would be safe.

Sadly, you may just have to remain aloof (distant [not in deep discussion with them]), until you find a place to live, away from them.

Hope you can understand my 'strine' (Australian)

Speak to you when I finish bathing the kids

Huggs
Catherine

If you're in Australia and are subject to Domestic Violence or Violence against Women, call 1800-RESPECT (1800-737-7328) for assistance.
  •  

Derpy

Hi Catherine :)

I think it is the best to do too, to keep a low profile and stay distant... Only 2 years left to finish my degree, and then I can get a job! I'm thinking about selling some old stuff to make money so I can be free again as soon as possible! :)

Hugs and love! <3
  •  

SashaGrace

Hiya hun, now I handled this all wrong when I did it under somewhat similar circumstances. I was 16 and I'd just finished school. I knew something was wrong long before then though, but I'd built up to coming out at 16. I knew they wouldn't get it so I'd got my finances in order and found a roof to go over my head whilst I was in college. My parents are divorced and both remarried. I told them what I wanted, told them I was trans, said I was living full time as a woman from then on and that if they didn't accept it then tough, it's the only thing that will make me happy and feel complete. I'd already legally changed my name at that point too. A blazing row followed and I left.

I'm 21 now, I've lived full time just over 5 years and I've seen my parents 4 times since then; at funerals. I now have a life partner, a son and home of our own. As far as they are concerned, they have one son and that is all. They actually have a daughter too (me) and a grandson they have nothing to do with. They've never accepted me for who I am, though I occasionally get a cheeky phone call from my Dad who tries hard to avoid talking about me being trans and never uses my name etc.

Please don't let that be you; sit and talk to them, help them and educate them. I would begin by dropping hints and bringing up the subject when you aren't in the house etc. You might think it'll be great in the end when you leave but it's nice to feel welcomed by the people who raised you; I can't pretend I don't miss it a little and it's not a situation I made easy and it's made damage I can't fix. Xx
'Yea though I walk through the shadow of the valley of death, I will fear no evil.' Psalm 23, Verse 4
  •  

Derpy

Hi!
Thank you for your testimony (is that the word?), it is really helpful as sometimes I am thinking about fleeing, running away... But I really think I'll regret it, especially for my mother.
I hope all your little family and yourself are feeling great and having good times together :)
I'll think about all of that. I've already tried talking with my mother about Laverne Cox, characters in books who are trans*, and even dysphoria, but she doesn't seems to understand or to be willing to accept those things.. I tried once with my father but he answered with transphobic jokes about sex, which was hurtful.. My little brother understood what dysphoria is and really accepts the idea of someine being trans* (I had no idea how to write the ideas I had in mind :/) but I never came out to him, but I think he guessed as I am really myself with him when we're alone ^^

Love and hugs ~~
  •  

Catherine Sarah

Hi Derpy,

This is possibly the hardest part of the journey to understand. Those that mean the most to us, who should be there to support us, should be able to understand our plight, just don't. It's hard, and it hurts.

It actually puts us in the situation of having to leave, announced or not, for our own sanity. Feelings of regret for having to do so? Maybe not; after all you did your best to explain. They chose to remain closed and unreceptive to your needs. I don't think you deserve to accept any sort of regret, perhaps better expressed as sorrow for them in being unable to open their hearts.

If you keep true to yourself and focus on your needs, you may be surprised at the opportunities that will come your way.

When you put your whole heart into what you know to be right and true, the universe will actually move to accommodate your truth and understanding. Listen to your heart and go with it.

Huggs
Catherine

If you're in Australia and are subject to Domestic Violence or Violence against Women, call 1800-RESPECT (1800-737-7328) for assistance.
  •  

Derpy

Thank you!
I think that for now I will stay hidden at home, let things as they are, but I'll begin the 2 years of psychiatry which is a must-do in French before taking T or any operation. That way I will begin slowly my transition, I will have another person to talk to, and I will have advice and the psychiatric can help me educate my parents or talk to them :)
I will keep talking sometimes about trans issue or dysphoria with my parents and leaving hints. I'll see how it will evolve, and if I feel it safe enough, I'll come out :)
To conclude, I'll take baby steps, assuming myself first outside the house then inside :)

Love you all and hugs ~~
  •  

Tristyn

Not sure if what I am about to say could even constitute as advice in this because the results were highly unfavorable due to a major lack of family support, but the way I came out was that I came out to my dad first and then my mommy.

One reason is because they are in different locations from each other, so I kinda didn't have a choice. Then it was because of a guide I saw on a mtf website which recommended to come out to both parents separately because this is alot for them to handle. Even the most supportive of parents would be shocked by such news.

When I came out to my old man, we were leaving Walmart. I felt like this would be a good place to reveal this because we were in a public environment. So if things got dangerous between me and him, someone could call the police. Thankfully nothing like that even happened.

I simply told him when we were shopping earlier that I really need to tell him a secret that I can't say out loud in the store.

As we headed for his car, I calmly said, "Dad, I am transgender."

He did not take this news very well but he received it so much better than what I initially imagined he would.

He did threaten to put me on the streets when I politely asked him to address me as Phoenix with male-only pronouns. Both of which does not occur with him. He is severely passive about this and pretends that nothing is going on.

My mama, on the other hand seemed at least more interested about this. When I came out to her over the phone, I used a fictional anecdote based on Disney's Aladdin about being yourself. What separates my mama's reception of my coming out from my pop's is that she seemed more engaged. After hearing this devastation to every single ambition she ever had of me since my conception into this world, she sighed heavily then proceeded to ask, "And what would you like to be called?" And I told her.

My mom did forget the whole conversation of this ever taking place. As a result of alcoholism since age 19, she has unfortunately acquired alcoholic dementia at the ripe age of 60.

Yeah, I cried a bit when about two weeks after coming out to her, I called her up just to check on her. Then proceeded to assure her that its ok for her to just call me Phoenix, to which she replied, "Who is Phoenix?"

I held my tears until after we hung up cause it would have been selfish and wimpy of me not to do so. She sounded like she was in such a great mood and I wasn't gonna ruin that with superficially stupid tears, man.

But I just dusted my shoulders off, deal with it, and keep on movin'.

Sorry if this sounded like a sad movie, cause it kinda really was. I hope everything works out for the best for you.  :D

~Nixy~
  •  

Austin Rodgers

I wrote a fairly long letter to my parents and put it in our mailbox, then explained the rest later.
"Enjoy the little things, for one day, you may look back and realize they were the big things."
  •  

emma-f

I'm on the cusp of telling them and it terrifies me, even though my dad is gay, so I'm sure he'll be okay, and my mum has found enough stuff over the years that she blatantly already knows, even if she wont admit it to herself. I think I'm clinging to the delusion that all this will go away, and I don't want to burn bridges and have her always think of me differently if I do end up clinging to male life. I'm getting to the stage though where I just cant hide it anymore.
  •  

Tristyn

Quote from: emma-f on November 07, 2015, 01:39:41 PM
I think I'm clinging to the delusion that all this will go away, and I don't want to burn bridges and have her always think of me differently if I do end up clinging to male life. I'm getting to the stage though where I just cant hide it anymore.

If she's draining you like that, what good would it do to remain in touch with her?

I wanted to avoid that with my dad, but the more I accept my true self the more I let go of the fantasy that my dad will love me no matter what simply cause he family like the world taught us.

Its more to love and support than merely being related by blood.

I'm so sorry such a consideration even has to exist for you, for any of us with poorly supportive family members who we hoped to count on and loves us no matter what. :-\

~Nixy~
  •  

Derpy

I have a really hard relation with my father, almost constantly fighting, since I was a child. I told my mother once that he wasn't really my father to me : he was never there when I was a child, always working and when he was home it was to criticise and yell at my mother and me and make me do things I didn't like (like Japanese chess, homework but for year+1, ...) in order to have "the most intelligent daughter in the universe". When I didn't get the best mark at a test, he yelled at me. Every imperfections were unbearable, I had to hide them. I couldn't bear it, it was too hard...
During my teenage years, I try to befriend him, find a way to make peace, but it didn't work.. So know he is a guy that married my mother and live in the same house as me and who gives me money so I can eat and study, at least I try to see him that way, but still it is hard, and I made this decision 2 years ago.
So I don't have much hope about him, I just know that if he is supportive it would be great, and that if he isn't it can be really hard.. No money, hard time at home, maybe physical violence... Thats why I have to be really careful if I choose to come out and why I am so afraid to.
My mother is a really "zen" person, she is a yoga teacher, studying meditation and TaiChi etc. She is always trying to make everyone calm and happy. I am not afraid of her, if my father wasn't there I would come out already. She knows that I am bisexual, she isn't a big fan of LGBT+ but she accepted it, because I am her child and I deserve to be happy. Her bestfriend is a very homophobic person but I noticed that since my mother knows that I am bi, her BFF haven't talk about how homophobic she is (before she was always talking about it, finding a way to put that subject on the tables and say really hateful stuff)... I think my mother told her something but I don't know ^^
Well sorry that was long and disgressive, I lost track ^^"
What I really wanted to say was : If my father wasn't there, I would have come out already, I would maybe even be transitioning...
I don't know if that would help this subject though ^^"

Love you all and hugs ~~
  •  

Skylar1992

I came out to my father and step mother in a very long, detailed letter and asked them to read it while i was out. I gave them an hour or so and came back. They were totally understanding, asked a few things and yeah, was pretty straight forward :P
  •  

nicci

Quote from: Wesley Cole on November 07, 2015, 01:27:32 PM
I wrote a fairly long letter to my parents and put it in our mailbox, then explained the rest later.

I never really got to discuss transgender issues with my mom before she died. My mom and dad always taught us to be open minded and tolerant but after my mom died my father made a number of comments about people in general that got me believing he was not as tolerant as I was raised to be.  :/

I felt it was important to come out to my dad and sisters. We were separated by a fair amount of distance so I thought a letter was a better way to go. I wrote a 15 page rambling letter and sent a copy of "True Selves" which my dad and older sister didn't read.

My little sister read both the book and, more importantly, my letter. 

Right off though I was very defensive with my family and with the world in general. This was right at the dot-com bubble burst and my dot-com was part of that bursting followed by 9/11 which left me in a pretty screwed up frame of mind.

I left my wife, disappeared for a few months to Canada and then returned with the assumption I could pick up the pieces. My wife was willing but we had both dug so deep in bills I needed my dad's help. He refused to help other than to give me a few thousand to move to another state (even further away) and start off there. Instead I spent a lot of time couch surfing. My dad made it clear he was, essentially, paying me to leave my wife.  More than ever I was pissed off. This was June of 2002.

This is rambling a bit, but, there's a reason... bear with me...

I came to my new state, changed my name (somewhat ironically on my dad's birthday), and other identification data. I did not speak to him nor my little sister once I left California.

I had it in the back of my mind after a couple years that my father had died. I don't know how I knew but I knew. Its not like we were close and we were not blood related (I was adopted)

I tried, several years later, reconnecting with my sisters by calling my older sister. She was cordial but a liar. When pressed about my dad's health she said he was doing well. He had, actually, died, by his own hand, five years previous, not long after I left California. I also pressed her on how to contact my little sister because the numbers I had didn't work. I attempted for a couple months to have some sort of relationship with the older sister and gave up. Four years later I was contacted by lawyers informing me of my little sister's death as well as my father's.

There is a lot of tragedy here but my point is not to garner pity. I got a lot of attitude, a chip on my shoulder and was more responsible for isolating myself from my family than my family was. My dad and older sister were being really >-bleeped-<ty but they were not refusing to deal with me.

Some families, when a trans person comes out, do disown them or otherwise push them out of their lives but that was not the case here.

I think about my mom, though. I lost her to cancer nearly 20 years ago. I never had the chance to frankly discuss with her who I really am, how that shaped who I was as a kid and how, in a very bizzare turn of events, had a truly negative impact on our relationship.

I have told myself over the years that "Mom would have been cool with it" but I don't know that and I suspect she would have had a lot of difficulty, but I will never know.

There are definitely times when coming out is detrimental, sometimes, even, physically dangerous. Quite often socially so and even financially so. Its important to weigh these things before making the decision to come out. Its important to do so with as open a mind as you expect the people you come out to to have.

Your family are the only people who know you your whole life. There's a history there and it's not just the formal stuff but also the goofy stuff. My wife recently died as well and the thing that stands out to me most is that, now, I have nobody to remember my family with.

•