Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

The Christ Mass 2013 -- A Reading As The Complete Me.

Started by Vicky, December 26, 2013, 08:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vicky

The Christmas Eve service in my church (Episcopalian) is what is termed "The Christ Mass" a communion service that remembers God's sanctification of mankind by taking on a human body and living as a flesh and blood person.  It is the service where the final figure is added to the Creche at the foot of the communion table, the figure of the infant Jesus.  For my parish (congregation) it is a time for many children who grew up with my own to bring their children to our service along with my generation of grandparents.  My own grandchildren attend a Catholic church with their mother and her parents since my oldest grandson can now take communion there.  I was going to see them and their mom and dad (my son) after my church service was over before dinner time.

Last Sunday I had checked with my priest because of some scheduling problems with Lectors, who are the lay ministers who read the non-Gospel lessons before we take communion.  I am one of the frequent Lectors on normal Sundays and would be available to read at that service if needed.  As I got to the church a half hour before the service, my priest did ask me to read the Old Testament lesson from Isaiah 9: 2-7 which is the passage that tells of a young woman bearing a child whose name would be "Wonderful Counselor, Almighty God, The Everlasting Father, The Prince Of Peace" which is a passage the the composer Handel made part of his work called The Messiah that is sung at many places during the holiday season.  This is a passage that I truly love to read every year.

The church pews were full but not over jammed, and the count had been 158 people.  I was excited, because some of the people were seeing me as my complete self for the first time, since they do not attend services there regularly.  I felt that it was right to be doing this on this one holy service, but did not cry during my time at the front of the church, but it was close.  I was a happy girl, and the fact that I am post op now fitted into my feelings very much. 

At a point later in the service where the congregation can shake hands or hug with each other with the salutation "the Peace Of The Lord be always with you" and the response "and also with you"  I had many people who had not seen me since my transition come and give me hugs, and all could see how happy I was.  One or two mentioned that they did not understand what I had done or gone through, and probably would never understand it, but my reading had touched them as it should have.

A true gift of Christmas. 

There are denominations and churches where we are welcome and can be ourselves and can be involved even in major view and service.  I am not feared or judged and in the coming year will be opening myself to further ministries as I feel drawn.  I am me!! I believe God and Jesus want us to find those places and go to them to claim our place in the sanctity of God's blessing of all mankind, and to show the glory of a God who chose to Transition into Humanity and human life.
I refuse to have a war of wits with a half armed opponent!!

Wiser now about Post Op reality!!
  •  

gennee

Wow! I bet this is one Christmas that you will never forget. Coming out in our place of worship is one of the most wonderful events one can experience.Thank you for sharing Vicky.

:)
Be who you are.
Make a difference by being a difference.   :)

Blog: www.difecta.blogspot.com
  •  

Vera

A true gift of Christmas, indeed. What an overwhelmingly beautiful experience!
  •  

MaryXYX

That is a really welcoming church, and a truly blessed experience.  We had a Christmas Morning service and I read Luke's account of the shepherds visit.  There weren't very many of us there, but there were a few people I hadn't seen before.  I feel it was worth the effort to welcome them.
  •  

Vicky

Mary -- "If you have done it to the least of my children, you have done it to me" is one scripture I truly take to heart and know that every person I welcome or even smile at is a manifestation of Jesus.  It goes along with a quotation from Mother Teresa who, looking at a pitiful beggar, turned to a companion and declared that "this is our brother Jesus in distressing disguise!!"  A wonderful gift from the Creche.

•  

Cindy

I hope this is not inappropriate.

I have no religious belief but I am warmed that those you mingle with and with whom you share love,hope and Faith accepted you with such Love.

Nice post, thank you

Cindy
  •  

Vicky

Thank you Cindy -- there are elements of life that do not depend on religious belief or adherence and the ones you listed are indeed the deepest needs of our human life that will make it worth living.  I hope you find them on your path as well. Faith is not just religion or a belief in anything other than life itself. 

•  

MaryXYX

Thank you Cindy.  I link hope and love with my faith but I have friends who share the love and care for people who most need it, but don't share my faith.  I have found acceptance in what seemed unlikely places too.
  •