Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

voice changes on hrt

Started by ChanelMK, January 06, 2014, 10:03:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChanelMK

ok, so i know alot of people and professionals say that hrt does not change the voice, but ive had a situation and i tested this. i started hrt in november and 2 weeks after i noticed my voice lacked a tremble, it was much more smoother than usual. so i stopped hrt for sperm bankingfor approximately a week and half, and during that week, my manly voice came back which was very deep, very dry and i was kinda upset, but i digress, when i began my hrt again, i noticed the same scenario as before. Has anybody else experienced this? or am i just tripping off trippy sticks!
Your Beautiful Bohemian Barbie
  •  

LizMarie

My therapist has dealt with many trans women. She says that while the WPATH SOC states that voice does not change, in her experience, a very small number do experience a small voice change.

However, the change is almost never sufficient by itself to have a passing voice. You still need to master suppressing male voice resonance. And you probably still need further training (or VFS) to achieve proper pitch with your voice.

TL;DR - yes, it can happen, don't count on it, and it almost never is enough to give you a passing voice. :)
The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.

~ Cara Elizabeth
  •  

Carrie Liz

I call shenanigans on the whole voice-not-changing thing. They are right that the pitch doesn't change, but from what I've seen and experienced, the tone and the inflections definitely change. I've noticed this with just about every trans woman that I've ever known, that while the pitch of their voice is still just as low as it ever was, they speak in a manner that's much softer. Like, it feels like their voices are more relaxed, like there's less power there, and there's less of that male-ish bluntness to it. Since muscle atrophy is pretty much a given with HRT, and the voice box is, well, a muscle, I think it's a bit ridiculous to claim that there's no changes.

Me personally, I've definitely felt this. My voice just doesn't have the same kind of power that it used to.
  •  

ThePhoenix

I have an atypical hormone history.  I have taken both T and E, and both of them seem to have strange effects on me, including some that are supposed to be impossible.  My best guess is that my body must be very sensitive to hormones, so my experience may not be the same as most trans* people, but:

I had a very difficult time getting myself to a voice that was passable as male.  It took years and years of trying.  Despite T, I never had the trans/cis-male experience of voice cracking and breaking downward. Only in my last few years of living as male did I manage to mostly (maybe 70-80%) pass as a guy on the phone. 

On E, however, my voice changed fast.  It took about a week or so before I first had someone comment on my voice pitch seeming different.  I went through a period of time that people described as male voice cracking in reverse, where my voice broke upward.  Now, even when I want to pass as male on the phone (like to call someone about a purchase from a long time ago), it is simply an impossibility.  I've tried.  And it has created some awkward situations for me.  People say that my voice is now quite different from where it was.  A transwoman once sat in a group with me using a pitch measuring app and then p, afterward, came up to me and informed me that my fundamental voice pitch is a B3, if that is helpful in explaining.  I guess I have somehow gotten my high school/college voice back, or at least something like it.

It has been suggested that maybe while living male, I managed to train my voice to sound lower, and that now I am just back to my normal speaking voice.  I guess that could be true.

But it has also been suggested that this was truly a reaction to hormones.  Because I did have that voice cracking period, and I can no longer produce male sounding tones, I tend to think that it was the hormones that did it.  And if I'm right, then that means it is at least possible for voices to change quickly and drastically because of hormones even after T.  Of course that's not to say it is common.
  •  

Sydney_NYC

So far my experience is that since starting HRT, it's been easier for me to hit a feminine pitch and stay there than it used to. It may be my practicing, but I haven't been practicing everyday or as much as I probably should be. All of a sudden it seems I can keep a feminine voice most of the day now. For some reason when I meet someone or talk to someone on the phone that knows me before coming out I tend to talk in a more masculine voice even if they know it's trans. Although this too seems to be improving as well.
Sydney

Born - 1970
Came Out To Self/Wife - Sept-21-2013
Started therapy - Oct-15-2013
Laser and Electrolysis - Oct-24-2013
HRT - Dec-12-2013
Full time - Mar-15-2014
Name change  - June-23-2014
GCS - Nov-2-2017 (Dr Rachel Bluebond-Langner)

•