Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

A First In My Parish Church -- Again!!

Started by Vicky, February 17, 2014, 07:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vicky

Three years ago I came out in my Episcopal Church Parish as being Trans*.  I had been a member there for 21 years at the time I first told the rector about me and asking for advice on coming out there if she felt I could do it.  At the time I had written a Coming Out Letter to the parish's lay governing board, called The Vestry.  Two months later I was asked to come to their meeting as myself and let them see me as I was going to be known.  It took less than 10 minutes for them to agree to simply accept me as the different appearing person they had known for 21 years, but much happier and probably nicer to be with.  I have since been told that I seem much more comfortable in my body and much more open with my spirit and caring.

Last month at the Parish Annual Meeting, a member of the vestry had needed to step down, and another needed spot to assure a quorum at the meetings was also open and  there had been no nominations for the spots.  The rector and senior warden had asked if anyone could commit to the time needed.  Two months before I had volunteered to be a delegate at our diocesan yearly convention, and had done that duty as well.  A quick written note to my rector that I was available and could serve on the vestry for a three year term, and I received a call on the phone from the Senior Warden telling me I had been  nominated and the Junior Warden catching me at church the next Sunday and quietly telling me welcome to the job, and then the Annual Meeting was re-convened yesterday, and I and another nominee for a two year term were elected by acclamation without any comment or nay votes.

At the minute I may be the only Trans* vestry person in the L.A, Diocese of the Episcopal Church, but I am not in it for Trans* fame or position recognition.  I am sure the Bishops  (one of whom is lesbian) will hear about it, and I know they will be happy, but for now I am going to do the job for people I love and who love and trust me.  We can be accepted by good Christian people who see us as brothers and sisters in Christ.  I have been told there is some real work ahead, so time to get moving. 
I refuse to have a war of wits with a half armed opponent!!

Wiser now about Post Op reality!!
  •  

Eva Marie

Congrats Vicky! I know that you are doing this for the right reasons, and if you can change a few minds along the way so much the better  :)
  •  

Jessica Merriman

•  

Constance

Congratulations Vicky! You will be a blessing to your faith community!