Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Why do you bother?

Started by Jenna Stannis, February 03, 2014, 03:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deborah

I do believe in an afterlife, just not the Christian version.  I don't really worry to much about it either way though because if I'm right then things will be great and if I'm wrong I'll never know the difference.  Since there is no way right now of being any more certain than I already am the time here is better spent living and loving and seeking happiness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Wednesday

Quote from: Jenna Stannis on February 03, 2014, 03:04:31 PM
So, given our shared situation, our human condition, how do rise above this bleak and inevitable reality? How do you rise out of bed in the morning and get on with life despite it all meaning absolutely nothing? Why do you bother?

Why eternity is supposed to be good? Or afterlife?

How eternity just by its mere existence is going to give us a meaning? Why it makes more meaning than death? Why should be eternity a meaning in itself?

I can't see how I'm gonna be conscious of my own death. I wasn't conscious at the beginning. I can't see why something unavoidable would disturb nor worry me. I can't see how something I'm likely not going to sense would affect me.

I got an entire universe full of reasons to get up every morning. I find pleasure in knowledge, in beauty, in relationships, in altruism, in work. Why do not bother? The universe is waiting for me and my time is running out.
"Witches were a bit like cats" - Terry Pratchett
  •  

Jean24

Gonna become immortal or die tryin'!

Hahaha
Trying to take it one day at a time :)
  •  

sparrow

QuoteWhy do you bother?

Meh... why not?
  •  

Frae

Quote from: KongBeta on December 31, 2015, 08:12:53 PM
Positive Existentialism!

Life is meaningless and all actions equally so. Therefore go do what you love and employ the <not allowed> it adjustment as best you can!

Also food is nice and thats over in the kitchen so I gotta get up for it!

Love it.

What about positive nihilism?

None of my actions will ever really matter and I have to do something until I die so I chose to enjoy myself as much as I can to relieve the terrible suffering of existence!
  •  

stephaniec

at the moment I bother because I want to build a nice wardrobe and with the help of estrogen fit into those dresses perfectly.
  •  

Wednesday

Quote from: stephaniec on February 04, 2016, 09:07:31 AM
at the moment I bother because I want to build a nice wardrobe and with the help of estrogen fit into those dresses perfectly.

;D ;D ;D ;D

And, from own experience, that is more than enough struggle to deal with!
"Witches were a bit like cats" - Terry Pratchett
  •  

Kylo

Quote from: Frae on February 04, 2016, 06:18:07 AM
What about positive nihilism?

Yup. Just because life many not have any inherent value doesn't mean it can't be fun. 
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •