Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Nature vs. Nurture, what happened to individual choice?

Started by Xren, January 04, 2014, 11:35:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

helen2010

This is a really rich discussion which mirrors much of the internal dialog and self analysis and criticism I have had.  Not sure if this adds to the very insightful comments already made but nature feels more comfortable so I am more accepting of this theory.  Nurture makes me feel uneasy as it makes me feel that but for others I wouldn't be this way.   Separately my response to hrt was not in any way a placebo effect - intense dysphoria instantly disappeared, nothing, nada, gone which for me pointed to nature as the most likely explanation of my state.
Choice for me relates to how I choose to understand an experience.  In general I select the paradigm which fits me best ie that with which I am most comfortable and that is normally the one which is kindest to myself and to others.  Until the adopted paradigm is rejected either conclusively by society or I accept/adopt/evolve or embrace an alternate paradigm then this is my understanding.   So in my case I am most comfortable with (intellectually and emotionally) with a nature explanation of my reality, I choose this explanation and within self defined or imposed boundaries I choose how I will deal with it, I think.
Of course if choice is an illusion and this has all been predestined then I am kidding myself.  Not knowing how to prove which is true I again to choose choice as this possible illusion works best for me at this stage of my life/development/path/experience/ramble et al
  •