Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Had my first therapy appointment last week. It went great :)

Started by Alexis Paige, February 08, 2014, 01:39:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexis Paige

Last Wednesday I went to my first session with a gender therapist; my first with any therapist as well.
I was so nervous when the day first started. I woke up almost an hour early because I just couldn't sleep, and it was a good thing to because I had decided to go en femme. That was a bit tricky since I still had to work a half day. I ended up bringing a bag of clothes with me. It was definitely worth it though. Being properly dressed just made me feel so much more comfortable for that first session.
When I asked her about her policies on transitioning and letters, she said that she believed in informed consent so she would write a letter whenever if one is needed.
That really made the session a lot easier since I didn't feel like I had anything to prove. Still, it felt like we barely got through anything. It was mostly introductory stuff and none of the really deep issues.
So now I'm going to be seeing her twice a month, and I'm going to be scheduling an appointment with my doctor so that I can get a referral to go see an endocrinologist. It's what my insurance makes me do. It's annoying, but it means I should be able to get at least the tests covered so its worth it.
I can't wait for E. I'm literally giddy with excitement at the thought of being able to go on them soon. I should also be starting laser at the end of the month.
Now I'm currently considering going full-time by the start of April if I can manage to get started on HRT by mid March. I'm already pretty close to full-time. I've gone everywhere properly dressed for a couple weeks now and I haven't been clocked once  :)
  •  

Catherine Sarah

YAY for you girl. Glad to hear your journey is taking such good shape. You can already see how listening to your inner self can reap such fabulous rewards. Always remember, you have all the answers within you. You just need perhaps someone or the right circumstances to find them.

Keep up the great job you're doing

Huggs
Catherine

If you're in Australia and are subject to Domestic Violence or Violence against Women, call 1800-RESPECT (1800-737-7328) for assistance.
  •  

ClaudiaLove

Hi ,

I am so glad for you although you are making me jealous  :P
I hope you will get hrt starting soon , as you want

Myself , i will get to see a therapist in about a week and a half , and I am extremely nervous about it . You said you went dressed like a girl , i won't be able to do that as i am not passable and i am afraid i will look like a freak . I guess i will still have  some courage dressed as a boy , but on of my worries is how she will see me , i know they say they are objective , but i' ve read many stories and it seemed to me that some therapists are in influenced by the combination of looks and physical behavior in making their minds about how ready you are for other phases of transition.
So me , being like 5'11" , in boy winter clothes , i don't resemble much femininity , and i am afraid that will create a bouncing bad situation : she won't see my femininity , i will feel that and get inhibited , being inhibited it will be even harder to express myself and so on .

Anyway , congratulations again for this step

•  

Catherine Sarah

Hi Claudia,
Quote from: Claudia_FF on February 08, 2014, 08:09:28 AM
i don't resemble much femininity , and i am afraid that will create a bouncing bad situation : she won't see my femininity , i will feel that and get inhibited , being inhibited it will be even harder to express myself and so on

Transition rule No 1. Don't make someone else's mind up for them. Let them do that themselves,min the meantime take the high road and think positive.

If your therapist is worth half a cracker, she won't care how you present, because your issues have nothing to do about how you present. It's about how you feel. Women are very apt at seeing behind your mask. You may be presently surprised at what see really sees deep inside you.

Hope all goes well. Be thinking of you.

Huggs
Catherine

If you're in Australia and are subject to Domestic Violence or Violence against Women, call 1800-RESPECT (1800-737-7328) for assistance.
  •  

ClaudiaLove

Quote from: Catherine Sarah on February 08, 2014, 08:18:54 AM
Hi Claudia,
Transition rule No 1. Don't make someone else's mind up for them. Let them do that themselves,min the meantime take the high road and think positive.

If your therapist is worth half a cracker, she won't care how you present, because your issues have nothing to do about how you present. It's about how you feel. Women are very apt at seeing behind your mask. You may be presently surprised at what see really sees deep inside you.

Hope all goes well. Be thinking of you.

Huggs
Catherine

Thanks a lot , you have always been so supportive with me that I get emotional and drop a few tears , I am just not used to people being so nice with me .

•  

Catherine Sarah

Hi Claudia,

Transition rule No 2. Buy humongous shares in Bowater Scott, the tissue people. You're going to need lots of tissues for this ride. To be emotional is to be a woman. Even now I can do in quarter of a box of tissues in one sitting. Make the lounge room floor look like a snowfield. Nothing wrong with that. Tears in fact wash out all the crap thats in your heart and soul.

Get used to being cared for my dear. You're part of this family.

Huggs
Catherine

•  

Jessica Merriman

Congrats baby! My Part Time presenting lasted all of 12 minutes.*giggle* I went dressed for my therapy appointment as well and never changed back. Once the real you is let out there is no way to bottle it back up. :) Hang on for the wild HRT express. It is like being on an roller coaster on icy tracks headed downhill at Mach3! Enjoy. :)
  •  

LaurenL

Don't sweat the therapist. Like most I was a bit nervous about that first session, entering the building, opening her office door, but the moment after I spoke that first sentence where I revealed myself to another human for the first time it became really really easy to talk to her. It almost immediatly felt like a ton of bricks were lifted off of me.

I now look forward to each session. I feel much better now.

•