Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Another Hurdle Down

Started by allisonsteph, February 12, 2014, 12:47:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allisonsteph

Yesterday I was able to go to the DMV and have my driver's license changed to my new name along with a gender marker that says "F". I cannot describe the feeling of contentment and relief that came over me when the clerk handed me my temporary license and I saw the "F" in the lower right corner. For the first time in my life I possess identification that actually matches the person I am rather than the person that others wanted me to be. In 2-3 weeks I should have my photo license.

It seems weird, but having that temporary license with the "F" in the lower right corner removed the remaining doubt about transitioning I had been struggling with. Being legally recognized as a woman somehow makes it finally feel real. I no longer feel like I am doing something wrong or shameful.

I'm curious has anyone else felt this way? I'd love to hear people's thoughts.
In Ardua Tendit (She attempts difficult things)
  •  

Jessica Merriman

I am so happy for you baby! My first form of relief was when I got my carry letter making it legal to use the places I never could. That was my moment of realization and it felt really good. I am doing my legal name change in May of this year and I hope I feel just like you do now. I wish I could see the look of pure happiness when you are finally holding your new photo ID. I bet a jack hammer will not be able to chisel the smile off of your face. :)
  •  

Joan

That's fantastic. I'm so pleased for you, and I can understand how good it must feel:)

I have two options to get to changing my sex on documents: 2 years if RLE or SRS.
Only a dark cocoon before I get my gorgeous wings and fly away
Only a phase, these dark cafe days
  •  

Emily.T

So happy for you, I look forward to the day I can have that.
  •  

ErinM

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you! :)

Getting my new drivers license back in the fall was a major milestone. I must have stared at that "F" for about half an hour with this giant grin on my face and pulled it out if my wallet several more times during the following days.  The added bonus came when my updated provincial health care card arrived.

Like you the legal recognition did give me a reinforced sense of legitimacy.
  •  

allisonsteph

•  

Emily.T

Congrats Allison I am 41 and doing the same.
  •  

Eva Marie

Congrats Allison!  :) I hope to be doing the same thing around June.
  •  

Jessica Merriman

Quote from: allisonsteph on February 19, 2014, 07:35:25 PM
It came in the mail today! :)
So are you showing it to everyone who will look yet?*giggle* ;D
  •  

allisonsteph

Quote from: Jessica Merriman on February 20, 2014, 12:04:05 PM
So are you showing it to everyone who will look yet?*giggle* ;D

Yes, I posted a picture of it on Facebook  :D
  •  

Jessica Merriman

Quote from: allisonsteph on February 20, 2014, 01:27:28 PM
Yes, I posted a picture of it on Facebook  :D
*MAJOR GIGGLE FIT" You go girl! :)
  •  

Erica_Y

I am starting this process shortly so i hope to know this feeling in a few months as well!

Congratulation on achieving a huge life changing milestone
  •