what the hell is kombucha?
24 (80%)
I can take it or leave it.
2 (6.7%)
Kombucha is the drink of the devil
1 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Thundra

QuoteSo according to this, kombucha may decrease the effectiveness of HRT?  Hmmm, for a lot of people here I'll bet that kills any desire for it.

Maybe, but they don't know. My guess is that at a minimum of three bucks for 16 oz., most people aren't going to drink one more than once a day. Most people aren't going to drink it in the a.m. either. Most people do take HRT in the a.m.  So, the small amount consumed probably twelve hours or more after taking HRT more than likely will have no effect. Besides, the levels they give someone transitioning are monstrous anyway.

The average woman takes the smallest tablet available in most cases, whereas someone on HRT during transition takes many times that amount. I didn't even know they made estrogen pills that color or size until I dated someone. I was like, holy smokes!
  •  

J.T.

QuoteKombucha is a HUGE health fad up here in the NW.  I was wondering if any of you had tried it?
And if you had tried it, if you liked it?

never heard of it.

i'll stick to water, thank you.
  •  

Hypatia

I accidentally found out what it was last year, when I bought some by mistake, to my eternal DISGUST. For me it was a tossup between "detest" and "drink of the Devil." I chose the latter to register maximum dislike.

I subsist on bottled tea and I shop in Whole Foods. I knew that the element -cha in compounds is used for varieties of Japanese tea, and I already liked matcha, kukicha, genmaicha, bancha, you name it. I love tea. The store usually fails to stock my favorite teas so I'm always trying different ones. So I tried this one and didn't bother to read the explanation on the label, assuming it was similar to other Japanese teas. Eeewww, was I ever wrong! It's the vilest excuse for a beverage in the world. When I looked on the internet and found pictures of how they grow it, I was even more revolted. How the hell can anyone stand to put that nasty slime in their body? It tastes like ass too. I shudder to remember I ever touched the stuff.
Here's what I find about compromise--
don't do it if it hurts inside,
'cause either way you're screwed,
eventually you'll find
you may as well feel good;
you may as well have some pride

--Indigo Girls
  •  

Thundra

QuoteIt tastes like ass too.

OMG!   ROTHFLMAO!!!!  That was too funny.

Actually, really well done kombucha tastes like a good dark beer. Bad kombucha is like anything else. Just nasty.

In fact, I just got a fresh delivery, and I will have one now, thank you very much.
  •  

Shana A

My partner started making it last year. I don't love it, but I like it OK and drink it once in a while.

Zythyra
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•  

Hypatia

I'm writing a partial retraction of my harsh criticism above. I tried some tea bags made by Yogi Tea-- called Green Tea Kombucha. It's made with "kombucha extract," a combination of kombucha culture with various herbs, added to green tea and spearmint. I still will not touch the regular fizzy stuff with a 10-foot pole-- but what Yogi Tea has done with it is actually pretty tasty. Mainly because you can't actually taste the kombucha in it.
Here's what I find about compromise--
don't do it if it hurts inside,
'cause either way you're screwed,
eventually you'll find
you may as well feel good;
you may as well have some pride

--Indigo Girls
  •