Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

insurance pre-assessment with DR Bowers

Started by veritatemfurto, February 28, 2014, 07:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

veritatemfurto

Is anyone familiar with the pre-assessment process with dr bowers office? i'm at that point in the registration process but theres been a snag that I'm worried about. I've got the necessary down payment all ready to go, but since i'm using my insurance to cover it, I have to get a third LOR since they wont take my first one saying it's too old, but my second LOR is almost finished. So can I get a GRS date scheduled for a year in advance before my insurance officially approves paying for GRS??? Both my insurance case manager and the office are aware of my situation, but I guess you can say I'm a bit anxious as I don't quite understand what being pre-assessed means.
~;{@ Mel @};~

My GRS on 04-14-2015

Of all the things there are to do on this planet, there's only one thing that I must do- Live!
  •  

Vicky

Robin or Janet in Dr. Bowers Trinidad office take care of her insurance billings and would be the ones to talk to.  The earliest confirmed date they could give you is about 10 - 11 months away, but you can ask to be bumped earlier if you are able (I went 3 months early).  Dates further away than the 11 month list are also possible.  Go to their web site for the phone number, and remember it is US Mountain time zone.  Robin is the key player and is super great to work with.
I refuse to have a war of wits with a half armed opponent!!

Wiser now about Post Op reality!!
  •  

Catherine Sarah

Hi Mel,

Two things. First, where ever you got your first letter from, is it possible to contact them and ask for a revised version of it, as you need it now for the intention it was originally drafted for?

Secondly, if I understand you correctly about "pre assessment". I'm assuming this is for surgery pre assessment and not insurance pre assessment.

Pre assessment for surgery is a simple matter of meeting with Dr.Bowers in her San Mateo office so she can determine your psychological understanding of what you want to do. She also takes time to examine what you have to offer, physically, so she can discuss expectations, outcomes and the obvious risks associated.

I had one with with her this time last year. Fabulous bonding moment. She's a remarkable woman and a good surgeon. I totally get why you'd have a woman perform his procedure. The only reason I didn't go with her was the fact she books 12 months out.

In answer to your question about getting your date first, before the insurance is approved; I would think, yes. Insurance company's being a regular pain in the **** for anything, it just a matter of haggling with them. And as Vicky said, Robyn is an artisan when it comes to sorting insurance company's out.

Keep up the great job you're doing. You're nearly there, you can touch it almost. (Just find a nice place to hibernate or 12 months. Waiting can drive you nuts. )

Huggs
Catherine

If you're in Australia and are subject to Domestic Violence or Violence against Women, call 1800-RESPECT (1800-737-7328) for assistance.
  •  

veritatemfurto

Quote from: Catherine Sarah on February 28, 2014, 08:18:53 PM
where ever you got your first letter from, is it possible to contact them and ask for a revised version of it, as you need it now for the intention it was originally drafted for?
Keep up the great job you're doing. You're nearly there, you can touch it almost. (Just find a nice place to hibernate or 12 months. Waiting can drive you nuts. )

my first letter was done in 2003, several states away, so I don't think i'd be able to do that. He knew I was moving away when it was issued, and was the last time I was in contact with him. :/

and i know all about the waiting game after being financially unable to progress for the last decade. my current therapist thinks that i could have PTSD from it now but isn't going to hold me back from getting the letter since in his words "i'm already there, and I'd hate to be a 'gatekeeper'" today was only my second session and I'm already loving the guy :)

So Plan B is to try and get scheduled as if I'm paying out of pocket with the first letter and switch over to the insurance in a few months while I'm waiting to go for my date. anyone have any experience with doing that?
~;{@ Mel @};~

My GRS on 04-14-2015

Of all the things there are to do on this planet, there's only one thing that I must do- Live!
  •  

Missy~rmdlm

Pre-authorization for my insurance was limited to 90 days out. I applied more than a year before my scheduled surgery date. I was approved by my insurance after about 30 days from proceeding January 22. Janet from the Trinidad worked my insurance case/information. I had two recent letters of recommendation.
  •