Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Help with Passports annd movin.

Started by Korlee, July 23, 2010, 05:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Korlee

Hi,

Um.. peeps who have read my posts kinda as of late interesting.  But I've been put on a deadline with this home.  I have a few real months to try to get a few things done.  I thought I could make something else work and buy more time with my mother.  Kinda failed at that and things have broken down...

But anyways.  A friend has offered me at least a roof over my head to try to get back on my feet.  Help me get a job.  He lives in Canada though.  However out of pity of me not being on the streets.  My mother has quote offered to help get me there.  So.. I know a little about international travel 'n' such but not that much.  So cash to get there covered.. However as I am reading I figured maybe some of you have more experience.

I'd like to know anything you could speak of really as advice or help.  What are restrictions on stuff taken over the border?  How will they look at it?  You name it.  I am going to keep reading more and such on my own.  However I know that often in life things are handled far different then a book or how someone says.  So the Canadian border could be far different on stuff then I read.  So just anything you know.

Thanks in advance.
  •  

twistedpixie

I've only ever been there for day long visits. I've also not been there since they started requiring passports so my info probably won't be of much help to you. Last time I was there they just asked the driver of the car's name and to see his ID. Then asked what the reason for the visit was and how long we would be there and that was it. But, like I said that was a while ago so things have probably changed a lot.
  •  

Korlee

Ya, I've spoken quite abit to my Canadian friend who is letting me live with him.  Better then being on the streets in America.  Help the 11 mil illegal immigrants but be damned if you try to get help as a legal.  Anyways.... I got the info I needed on the passport easy but still lacking info on how they handle stuff going over the border.  Just my general stuff, tv, clothes, etc. 

Probably going to stay up there a year or more and hey if it works out?  America and the current admin can kiss my butt.  Never done my family any favors anyways and we fought in every war but the current two.
  •  

Korlee

Okay... mother has decided to not give me the time with the delay on the passport.  I have a week to move and my dad said he'd take me in for a little bit.  He lives all the way out in Oklahoma though so from Maryland to Oklahoma moving pretty much a bedrooms worth of stuff that is mainly electronics. 

I'd kill for any experience talk from peeps that have moved before.  I have helped move the family and such but this is just different.  This is a huge distance, a short time span, I have to drive out there.  I need advice and badly.  I dunno how to handle this. :(
  •  

Renate

For a few years now a passport has been required to travel from the US to Canada.

The Canadian border guards can arbitrarily decide that you are trying to move to Canada and turn you around.

In the old days it used to be much, much looser.
  •  

Korlee

Ya, I am okay on that front.  I have the stuff for a passport and expected to get it but kinks.  That will just take a lil time since I am going to have to move twice now. =/  More worried about the work Visa and figuring out how to move to Oklahoma at the moment.  Since my dad agreed on a temp home since my mother has cut me off.  Tis lame since I am jobless but it is what it is.  Either way I need to find an okay with to move more or less just a bedroom and bathrooms worth of stuff to okc.  Then to Canada?  Well I know how I want to do it there at least on stuff.  I planned to drop things going there but I can't just drop my bed going to okc though....  Dad doesn't have much.....
  •  

Korlee

Well I moved.... I couldn't afford the movers and as I said mum cut me short on it all.  My dad which I did not speak to for ten years took me in.  He is an okay guy.  So back out in burns flat, oklahoma.  The town I grew up in... with all it's old family grudges, hatred of my dad's side, bible belt twits, small town gossip, compromised morals, and zip tolerance for even the gay.  I knew of one transexual out here years and years ago my dads friend.  Guy left the same week he came out and it was a smart call.  The town has zip jobs and such as well.

But I did it!  I moved in a tiny mitz leaving a few things behind like my bed and computer desk and did it in two days of driving from maryland.  Yay, giant rivers, random cities, and gas stations!  The drive wasn't so bad but I had to stop at a hotel once to avoid falling asleep on the wheel.  Now I have to find out a way to make the other work and do it all again.  Be damned in I stay in this small town or this state.  Love the wave and thank you mentality but hate the bible thumpers with a passion.  The peeps has issues accepting video games when I left.  Really not going to give them a shot in this and the video game bit was a suburb of Oklahoma City called Edmond.  A church pastor there of a very large charge called them evil.  HA!

So whatever...I got the kitchen sorta straightened out for the most part, bathroom clean, did a lil living room cleaning, cleaned out the whole room I am staying in, did some touches on his laundry room... Still tons to be done.  Bleck....

Hehe... well my life now and barely still doing the hormone thing... kinda like my thread on sanity ya know?  I'd be lost without at least that one lil me niche.  So far I think my life is really a failure...but meh... whatever...  I think I got the cry out driving to this stupid lil city and state that refuses to get industry!  Ggrrrrrr...
  •  

Korlee

Quote from: Renate on August 19, 2010, 06:19:49 AM
For a few years now a passport has been required to travel from the US to Canada.

The Canadian border guards can arbitrarily decide that you are trying to move to Canada and turn you around.

In the old days it used to be much, much looser.

ya.. but that is also why I am getting the work visa..... if at all possible... you have to live somewhere a lil to work there...... at least for a few years... I can slim it down if need be and just mail some of the stuff to hammy....
  •