Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Does obesity affect ability to commence HRT?

Started by Jordana, February 28, 2014, 06:51:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jordana

Hello,

I was wondering if anybody knows if obesity affects ability to commence HRT? Also if anyone has experienced a natural weight loss / a decline in binge eating due to the happiness which living full time and being on hormones can bring? Sometimes I wonder if my excessive eating is a coping mechanism to deal with being trans.

Thanks
  •  

Jessica Merriman

It really depends on the Endocrinologist and how over weight the person is. I know one Endocrinologist who will not start people on HRT if they are smokers as well due to the risk of DVTs. Before I started I lost weight and began a exercise program. HRT is kind of hard on the body and they want you to be in fair shape to deal with the extra stress it places. In my case yes, I lost the urge to binge eat because I was happier than before. I have lost around 50 lbs. in 6 months not by dieting, but just the reduction in food eaten and exercise. HRT is amazing! :)
  •  

Jessica Merriman

No problem! When you get 15 postings feel free to PM me anytime if you have more questions. :)
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Jordana on February 28, 2014, 06:51:32 AM
Hello,

I was wondering if anybody knows if obesity affects ability to commence HRT? Also if anyone has experienced a natural weight loss / a decline in binge eating due to the happiness which living full time and being on hormones can bring? Sometimes I wonder if my excessive eating is a coping mechanism to deal with being trans.

Thanks

Yes.  In some places, and some doctors, will not prescribe HRT to a morbidly obese MtF.

You have to consider the potential stress to your liver and kidneys, as well as factor in the estrogen can be tied up in fat cells.

Over-eating can very well be related to gender issues.  I am an example of that.  My doctor told me "Diet or die."
  •  

Jordana

Quote from: Jamie de la Rosa on February 28, 2014, 02:43:35 PM
Yes.  In some places, and some doctors, will not prescribe HRT to a morbidly obese MtF.

You have to consider the potential stress to your liver and kidneys, as well as factor in the estrogen can be tied up in fat cells.

Over-eating can very well be related to gender issues.  I am an example of that.  My doctor told me "Diet or die."

Thanks for sharing, Jamie. I've been exercising 2 hours a day and trying my hardest to stick to a low calorie lifestyle - I hope I can lose weight, I feel like transitioning and now being aware of the possibility of being denied HRT has given me a more profound reason to become healthier.
  •  

Kyra553

Wanting to transition has encouraged me to lose weight and for past five months or so I have. I have not started hrt yet but from what Ive learned. As long as you diet and exercise a bit you should lose weight on hrt. You will burn fat from you male pattern fat and store fat in female locations. So lose as much as you can before hrt because women hold fat better then men.
  •  

Jenna Marie

It didn't for me; the endo was concerned with my lab work and general state of health, and once she was convinced I was in excellent health (and I have fantastic cholesterol levels!), she was fine with ignoring my weight.

I did lose a little bit early on, and then gained it back later once estrogen slowed my metabolism. I am comfortable with that - it's all going to the right places, and I'd rather be healthy than thin.
  •  

justjournalhonestly

This may seem odd, but I am not on HRT but when I finally started to be honest with myself about being a female I suddenly stopped having food cravings of any kind (I've had insane cravings since puberty and thus even struggled with my weight in the Marine Corps.) My daughter I think rightfully attributed it to my lifting a weight off my chest/mind by finally being honest with myself. I have added in My Fitness Pal (for tracking what I eat), and Fitness Buddy (for tracking exercise) as well and have shed 40 pounds in about 2 months. Grant it I am still morbidly obese at 266.9 for my height  ::) I am totally psyched as it took me over five years to go from nearly 370 to 310.

I understand the rush to start HRT, lord knows I want to, but I think drawing a road map with goals will help motivate you too. There is a cool thread about Friday Weigh-ins that I saw today too. I added my weight loss there too, as I figure it will be a good place to help keep me in check and not sliding backwards too bad if I do falter. Not sure if you have access to this area but it was found under here Susan's Place Transgender Resources » Community Conversation » Transsexual talk » Male to female transsexual talk (MTF) » Topic:  Friday weight.

Put it this weight (a word pun, did it work? :D), every extra over-weight pound we lose will make it easier on us, and I suspect especially when we start HRT.
  •