Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Wig caps... ooowwwwoaauauuaughhhh

Started by MugwortPsychonaut, September 29, 2013, 01:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MugwortPsychonaut

I just got a few wig caps for the first time yesterday. Christ, these things hurt! It's so tight and feels like it's going to squeeze my eyeballs out of my head! I've been trying to stretch this sucker, but it doesn't seem to help. Do these things ever stretch out?
  •  

Ms. OBrien CVT

Unfortunately they are mean to be tight, so they hold your existing hair close to the head.  You might try using the toe from a nylon or even knee high.

It does not take courage or bravery to change your gender.  It takes fear of living one more day in the wrong one.~me
  •  

MugwortPsychonaut

I've been stretching the cap like a gymnast, and I'm happy to say that it fits much more comfortably now!
  •  

Devlyn

Noooooo! It's supposed to squeeze your eyeballs out and give you that Bambi look! Work on your pout and you'll be irresistible!  Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Lyric

I'm assuming what you are talking about is a wig you purchased and it does not fit your head comfortably. If you have a wig with cap the fits too tightly it may be possible to modify it so that it fits better. A good wig stylist can make a couple of snips an stitches that can loosen that cap for a better fit. If the wig is considerably too small, though, you might need to get a wig with a larger cap size. The selections don't tend to be as great for large size wig caps, but you can buy large cap wigs. Of course, you can have a wig custom made to fit, too.

~ Lyric ~
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •  

Devlyn

I assumed she meant the cap that looks like a nylon and squeezes all your hair flat. The wig goes over it. Maybe I'm wrong, wouldn't be the first time! Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

MugwortPsychonaut

Yeah, Devlyn. You're right. It's the nylon cap one buys separately. It's still tight, but it's better than it was. My girlfriend said they have 'em in sizes at the hospital. She'll snag me a couple.
  •  

Devlyn

If she works at a hospital, she can probably help get your eyeballs back in!
  •  

Robin Mack

On a more serious note...

I tried a wig cap for the first time a night or two ago.  Previously I had been using elastic head bands, which worked great, but I wanted to try a real wig cap to see if it was any better.

An hour later I was in incredible pain, my head hurting horribly, a vicious headache that made it difficult to think, much less drive.

Turns out I was wearing it wrong.  If you put the wig cap on and let it ball up around the bottom (so that it is thicker, kind of a roll of extra material) you're going to have a bad time.  It should not be allowed to ball up, any extra material should be on top of your head.  Tried it this way with much more success...

Here's helping this helps our dear OP!  :)
  •  

Lyric

OK. You're talking about those under-wig caps that are kind of like nylon stockings. There's a couple of lines of thought about those. Basically some people seem to like them and some don't. For instance, none of the women with alopecia I've run across use them. I've tried one and don't care for it. If you don't use one, you may have to clean your wig more often and you might need to use some wig tape or adhesive, but you can easily go without one. If it bothers you, just stop wearing it.

~ Lyric ~
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •  

MugwortPsychonaut

I use the wig caps, because they keep my head from itching and help prolong the life of my wig. Here's an update, though: the other day, the cap that I had "stretched," squeezed my head so tightly, that I still have marks around my hairline.

Yesterday I ordered a set of large wig caps. Hopefully these will help.
  •  

Lyric

I hope that works for you. Some people think wigs made with monofilament caps are more comfortable and probably are best worn without an under wig liner. I'm not sure how much longer a lifespan a wig will have from wearing one of those, but for all day wear, I would think comfort would be more important than economy.
  •  

MugwortPsychonaut

Actually, I snipped the caps from the band upwards, about a centimeter in, in several spots on the cap, and it fits sooooooo much nicer now! Yes, yes, and yes. No pressure on my head at all!
  •  

Kaitlin4475

I always liked the caps because it gave me a pseudo face lift and opened my eyes
  •  

thevaliantx

How much would a good quality (one that I can run my fingers through the hair and no one will know it's a wig) that has an invisible hairline cost?   I am going to try and get a doctor to prescribe meds for stopping hairloss (beyond HRT) and possibly recovering lost hair.  I'm not even sure what meds to ask the doctor to prrescribe, to be honest.
10-13 tried mother's finger nail polish, dresses and her heels
23 phase of body building and then suddenly cross dressing and wearing makeup
26 started calling myself Kristy in my voicemail recording
36 saw therapist, went on HRT and partially identified as Kristy
37 moved and started HRT again, dressing a little more feminitely
41 started HRT again, and wife made agreement if I would give up Kristy
45 started HRT again, this time for good, because wife didn't hold up her end of the agreement.  New agreement with 11 year old son and wife is that Kristy be present only at certain times and not around strangers or family, unless they are ready to be a part of Kristy.
  •