Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Hair parting

Started by Jennygirl, March 04, 2014, 04:53:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennygirl

Hair parting is said to be a free way to totally change your look. A quick google search reveals tons of results about it.

What spurred this for me was: I recently had some forehead work done and began parting my hair on the opposite side and almost in the middle (because one side was healing faster than the other). I noticed I was seeing other parts of my face differently aside from the FFS.. mainly around my nose and mouth.

I think it is very true that we all have a good side to our face. I just parted my hair back the way it was before and I noticed a huge difference especially from the side. It took me almost 2 months to realize why the majority of my face looked different (especially to do with the parts that had no surgery), but now I am thinking to myself.... "duuuhhhhhh"!

Just thought I would share and see what other ladies and/or gents have noticed about the way they part their hairs... Maybe it is an option someone hasn't tried yet? Maybe your best side has yet to be discovered :o

Some info on hair parts that I found useful:

Center Part
• makes face look more full
• elongates and accentuates the forehead

Side Part
• helps achieve facial balance by correcting / deemphasizing asymmetries
• deep side part "loosens" up personality
• clean side part makes for classic / graphic
• clean side part can enhance masculinity

Flexible Part
• looks "effortless"
• embodies character

and other hair notes:
• bangs make a face look less long
• pulling hair back elongates the face
  •  

Ms Grace

The middle part has never worked for me, makes me look like a buffoon. What do they mean by "deep side part"??
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

Jill F

I'm just happy to have enough to part now and avoid bad hair days sometimes.
  •  

Jennygirl

Quote from: Ms Grace on March 04, 2014, 05:12:26 AM
The middle part has never worked for me, makes me look like a buffoon. What do they mean by "deep side part"??

Haha yes I think I noticed a bit of baffoonness and that's what prompted me to reevaluate the hair situation.

The deep side part is just a side part that is way over on the side. I just tried it and it's rather interesting, but I still like the old classic left side part the best for me. I like to make it slightly diagonal towards the middle as it goes back.
  •  

Jennygirl

Quote from: Jill F on March 04, 2014, 05:21:43 AM
I'm just happy to have enough to part now and avoid bad hair days sometimes.

Yeah true that, but hair parting can affect all flavors of hair length :)

I suppose one would need to have very long hair to pull off a deep side part though...
  •  

FalseHybridPrincess

Quote from: Ms Grace on March 04, 2014, 05:12:26 AM

Yeah it doesnt look good on me either,,,

In mine I usually do the deep side part thing,,, it looks decent but im pretty sure its a rather masculine thing , most boys with long hair have it that way...or emo girls ...I dont really know...but its a really tough hairstyle cause I personally need to use styling products to keep the hair from falling into my eyes...

Ive also tried pulling my bangs up , looks more decent than I though it would,,,and its also quite the feminine thing to do im gonna try it  a few more times.
Anyway im definitely going to try straight bangs ,,,they re more easy to handle anyways...I think :/

for me the most disturbing thing is that I need to straighten my hair after I take a shower,,,,
http://falsehybridprincess.tumblr.com/
Follow me and I ll do your dishes.

Also lets be friends on fb :D
  •  

barbie

I once tried back-hair side parting.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

Kiera85

I had long hair during my early twenties and had a centre-parting then. It made my already massive forehead look even bigger! I think some do suit centre-partings but I think girls should avoid them unless they have a fairly round head-shape. Based on your avatar pics, all you girls look like you've chosen good hair-styles for your face shape :)

I'm actually starting to grow my hair long again in an attempt to look more feminine (I'm still um-ing and ah-ing about the whole transitioning thing, but figure this couldn't hurt in the meantime). Luckily I've now grown out the centre-parting and my hair naturally parts to the left now. Hopefully it will turn out better than my old long hair did. Though the worst thing about my hair is that it grows kinda like a lion's mane - big, wavy and fluffy. Anyone here have to deal with something like that? I remember straightening it one time, but it kinda made it look like thatch.
  •  

Carrie Liz

Yeah, I definitely see a HUGE difference between parting my hair like 75% toward the middle rather than completely on the side. I've parted it from the left side ever since I was like 5 years old. And then about 2 weeks ago I decided "hey, I wonder what would happen if I tried parting it halfway between the middle and the right, like my wig is?" HUGE difference.

Just as a visual example of what bangs and a middle-side part can do to shorten a face and de-emphasize a forehead:

I instantly went from this:

To this:

(bottom picture still looks messy, but not much I can do about that... this stupid hair is taking FOREVER to grow.
  •  

JamesG

my hair is about as long as yours Carrie, but its more curly so seems fully, or fluffier anyway.  Usually. It has a mind of its own.  Sometimes its flatter sometimes its full of cowlicks and frizz.  I usually just get it to rockstar/college student disheveled and call it good enough. 

Side part doesn't really work if you have a ceeceding or deep hairline, otherwise you look like the villan from "Dirty Hairy".
  •  

Kiera85

Haha, funny you should mention him, although I didn't have his hairline or parting, the texture of his hair was very similar to mine - one of the reasons I had it cut was watching the film for the first time and thinking, "Oh God I look like the child murderer from Dirty Harry!" Hopefully this time round I can avoid that.
  •  

KarynMcD

Just to add this little fact:
http://www.cracked.com/article_20779_5-seemingly-insignificant-things-that-make-people-like-you.html
Quote"most men part their hair on the left, which is supposedly perceived as masculine and assertive," parting their hair on the right in turn causes them to be "regarded as more sensitive, effeminate, and nerdy." On the other hand, women "traditionally part their hair on the right, and if they are left-parters (like Margaret Thatcher and Hillary Clinton) they may be perceived as powerful and masculine." Having your part on the unexpected side, then, "creates vague discomfort in onlookers and may lead to being shunned."
  •