Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Transgender as Umbrella is Dead: What It Means to Win

Started by Natasha, June 05, 2011, 07:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Natasha

Transgender as Umbrella is Dead: What It Means to Win

http://womenborntranssexual.com/2011/06/04/transgender-as-umbrella-is-dead-what-it-means-to-win/
6/4/11
By Suzan

What if "Transgender as Umbrella" is actually finally dead?

Does that mean an end to the seemingly endless trans-wars?  Or are some people so addicted to the drama of fighting they will find new parties to fight, defame and flame?  I suspect some will...
  •  

thevaliantx

I realize this thread has been dormant for some time, but I wanted to thank Natasha for posting it!  It seems that most of what I have found here at Susan's place just does not apply to me at this point in my life. 
10-13 tried mother's finger nail polish, dresses and her heels
23 phase of body building and then suddenly cross dressing and wearing makeup
26 started calling myself Kristy in my voicemail recording
36 saw therapist, went on HRT and partially identified as Kristy
37 moved and started HRT again, dressing a little more feminitely
41 started HRT again, and wife made agreement if I would give up Kristy
45 started HRT again, this time for good, because wife didn't hold up her end of the agreement.  New agreement with 11 year old son and wife is that Kristy be present only at certain times and not around strangers or family, unless they are ready to be a part of Kristy.
  •  

helen2010

I must confess that I am a little bemused or indeed confused by this assertion and any associated world changing event or thesis.  Taxonomy and associated labels provide substance, shape and meaning to concepts.  Transgender remains useful as a label just as long as it remains useful and relevant to the author and the reader.
This is no different to the term boy, girl, conservative, liberal etc etc.
If the writer's point is that transgender is too large an umbrella or too sweeping a descriptor then I feel that her point is poorly made; tribes and sub tribes, class and genus etc each have validity, but the extent depends upon the subject and degree of specificity being sought.
If the writer's point however is that she feels either disenfranchised by the debate and conflicting agenda within the broader transgender experience or group or that having transitioned to a fully binary and constant gender outcome then I agree that she shouldn't apply the term to herself. 
However to deny the relevance and power of the term transgender to others feels somewhat insulting.  We who are transgender will be the poorer for folk who having redefined themselves do not acknowledge their life experience and the journey that they have taken from transgender to their redefined and non transgender self.

Safe travels

Aisla
  •  

helen2010

thevaliantx

I realise that my earlier post may be read as overly critical - it was not intended as such. I am not challenging or questioning your observation rather than challenging the thesis presented in the linked article.
In fact I agree that there is much on Susans that may not apply to an individual but it's strength is its diverse, broad and inclusive scope and nature.  I would not support a more narrow or redefined Susans.  For relevance there always seems to be a thread or topic which resonates with me and that I can contribute to.  While this continues Susans remains a home to me

Aisla
  •  

thevaliantx

I often have to remind myself that Susan's seems to be populated with aTG/TS crowd whose issues are not something I can relate to, and not that the site is dead.  It can be frustrating to see all this activity, but I am looking through the stained glass window of a pub.
45 started HRT again, this time for good, because wife didn't hold up her end of the agreement.  New agreement with 11 year old son and wife is that Kristy be present only at certain times and not around strangers or family, unless they are ready to be a part of Kristy.
  •  

Jamie D

The fundamental purpose of Susan's Place is to provide support for all who identify as part of the transgender spectrum.  That includes cross dressers, drag kings and queen, non-binaries of all types, transsexuals (without regard to operative status), intersexed individuals, allies, and anybody else who feels that their gender identity is not fully congruent with their assigned sex.

Inclusiveness is the key.  That's why those who preach "Harry Benjamin Syndrome," autogynophilia, and "true transsexual" nonsense - all of which tend to divide and exclude - are frowned upon.

You are free to be yourself and explore your identity here.
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: Jamie D on March 07, 2014, 09:37:24 PM
The fundamental purpose of Susan's Place is to provide support for all who identify as part of the transgender spectrum.  That includes cross dressers, drag kings and queen, non-binaries of all types, transsexuals (without regard to operative status), intersexed individuals, allies, and anybody else who feels that their gender identity is not fully congruent with their assigned sex.

Inclusiveness is the key.  That's why those who preach "Harry Benjamin Syndrome," autogynophilia, and "true transsexual" nonsense - all of which tend to divide and exclude - are frowned upon.

You are free to be yourself and explore your identity here.

Kia Ora Jamie,

::) Just so long as you're "not" one of them !  ;) ;D

I just couldn't resist it... ;)

Metta Anatta :)
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Anatta on March 07, 2014, 09:43:48 PM
Kia Ora Jamie,

::) Just so long as you're "not" one of them !  ;) ;D

I just couldn't resist it... ;)

Metta Anatta :)

Dearest Zenda,

My category has not yet been invented!  ::)

In all seriousness though, posts on those subjects, because they have been so divisive, are to be removed on sight.  Those who hold those views are welcome here, so long as they follow the Terms of Service, which forbid that content.
  •  

thevaliantx

I am a little slow at times, so please show me where it was suggested in this thread that someone is playing the "true transsexual" game.  Is that what the article is referring to?
  •  

Jamie D

It is mentioned in the blog that is the basis for the post.

I also had no real interest in joining up with most of the name callers in the "Classic Transsexual"/HBS set.  Too many were just as willing to call other post-transsexual women names for not meeting some sort of imaginary standard of realness that I always tended to find absurd.

You would think that post-SRS transsexual women might have a better chance of getting along, but that wasn't true either,  what with >-bleeped-</AP, young emergers/late emergers and lesbian/straight conflicts.  Not to mention the whole HBS silliness, the "true transsexuals" and the 'classic transsexuals".
  •  

Michelle-G

Aisla, you make some excellent points (and no, I don't consider your earlier post to be overly critical). You wondered what the writer's point was and it occurred to me that the article, though well-intentioned, doesn't have much clarity or substance. If we have to wonder what she's getting at then she hasn't communicated effectively and she's losing us.

That said, the transgender "umbrella" (and yes, I used scare quotes) is probably dead, but not for the quasi-political reasons that this blog (and the ones it links to) say it is.

The beauty of language is that it's a living thing, constantly evolving and acquiring new words to more effectively communicate what matters and discarding words that no longer serve a purpose. Sometimes those words evolve to become more meaningful to the society that uses them. Note that hardly anyone uses the word "gay" in its original sense these days; same for the word "queer".

The word transgender is evolving as well. Many people I know who would otherwise be covered by the "umbrella" (again with the annoying scare quotes) are pushing back. My crossdressing friends hate the term transgender because to them it implies transsexual and they're quite happy with their birth genders, thank you, and have no desire to be lumped in with anyone else in the gender-variant spectrum.

I think that is a situation borne of the media's use of the term transgender as, well, as an umbrella term, and they did it because we did first. Here it was, an excellent generic term that actually didn't annoy the people whom they referred to when using it, because they invented it! But like it or not, the generic term was used most often when covering stories dealing with transsexual people and thus the term has become conflated to be a description of someone in gender transition instead of just any gender-variant state of being.

So we're a victim of our own success. The term is still valid but its meaning is evolving, and only time will tell if it evolves into something useful or becomes passé. Either way, the "umbrella" (last time with the scare quotes, I promise!) is becoming less useful and merely an archaic appendage to the term transgender.

Sure, the umbrella is dead, but let us not mourn - it died peacefully in its sleep.
  •  

helen2010

"The term is still valid but its meaning is evolving, and only time will tell if it evolves into something useful or becomes passé. Either way, the "umbrella" (last time with the scare quotes, I promise!) is becoming less useful and merely an archaic appendage to the term transgender.

Sure, the umbrella is dead, but let us not mourn - it died peacefully in its sleep."..Michelle-G

Michelle-G

I agree that language is a living thing and that the term transgender continues to evolve.  However I suspect that the term transgender is moving mainstream and towards its broadest meeting - that is a term covering all those who are in a gender-variant state of being.  Transsexual like transvestite is a more precise terms for a subset of the transgender family. As Kate Bornstein says "naming ourselves mindfully can be an empowering act of self-respect.  Taking on names that others have given us - or taking names from a limited number of names allowable, well .. that story doesn't usually have a happy ending....  Names, labels and identities of all sorts establish traction between or among members of a gender relationship."

For me transgender is an inclusive term which captures all of us who declare ourselves as gender variant and therefore apart form the more acceptable binary gender norms.  I think that there is power in naming our tribe but I agree that this doesn't preclude or diminish the power of a name which captures and empowers a member group.

So for me transgender remains useful and while it remains in common usage it remains a living and highly empowering identity for me, and I suspect many others, which I continue to embrace.

Aisla
  •