Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Therapy?

Started by Temperance, March 22, 2014, 07:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Temperance

Hello! I am new here :)

I posted an introduction about my situation, you can find it here: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,161867.0.html Please read it before continuing to read! If you have already read it, then I'm sorry for repeating myself, feel free to go on :P

Anyway, I don't know much the specific details about gender therapy. I also don't have a family doctor that checks up on me regularly. How do I find a therapist, and more importantly, a good one? Does it cost any money at all in Canada? How often do I have to go see my therapist, and is it possible for a minor like me to go see one without my parents' notice? Also, how long do I have keep seeing a therapist before starting the treatment?

Speaking of that, about how much money does the full transitioning cost? (Therapy, Hormones, Surgery, Legal stuff, etc)

Thank you so much for your time :)
  •  

JLT1

Hi Temperance,

A therapist will help you figure out where you are on the gender spectrum and what; if anything, you need to do.  It's mainly just talking and occasionally addressing points that come up during the conversation.  The key is to be honest.  You want the path that is right for you and that is not necessarily the path you currently think is the right one. 

After some time in therapy, if you determine that you are indeed transgendered, you will need to go to an endocrinologist to start hormone replacement therapy.  In your case, it would be estrogen plus an anti-androgen.  This starts the feminization process which includes your body and your mind.  At some point, you will start cross dressing and ultimately, start living as a woman. Somewhere in there comes electrolysis/laser to remove hair.   Then comes the surgery or surgeries and finally, life as a woman. 

The journey is long, expensive and emotionally difficult.  I can be nasty hard and can take several years.  For those of us that really are women on the inside, it is very rewarding.  For me, it is the only path.

So, come on in and wonder around, learn and ask questions.  We are here to give and receive both help and support.

Hugs,

Jen
To move forward is to leave behind that which has become dear. It is a call into the wild, into becoming someone currently unknown to us. For most, it is a call too frightening and too challenging to heed. For some, it is a call to be more than we were capable of being, both now and in the future.
  •  

Temperance

Thank you very much for your reply! I understand better the whole process now :) And I'm very happy for you! How far are you in your journey? :P

I still have a few questions though:

What is a good way to find a reliable therapist? And does it cost money to start therapy?

Thanks again Jen :)
  •  

JLT1

Temperance,

I have been in therapy for about 20 months and on HRT for 13 months.  I'm about half-way through electrolysis for hair removal.  I have facial feminization surgery scheduled for May 1 of this year and I go full time May 15. (full time = living 24X7 as a woman, also known as RLE or real life experience)  I have a medical waiver for the normal 1-year requirement of RLE prior to sexual reassignment surgery (SRS).  SRS is scheduled for December of this year. (My medical issue is easy fix during SRS and needs to be fixed sooner rather than later.)

I lost 70 lbs prior to starting HRT.   I have lost an additional 28 lbs in the past few months.  It is a little more difficult but it's still about diet and exercise.  Motivation is easier than it was before.

My medical issue is very painful and affects my hormone levels (they jump around).  During a particularly bad time, I called a suicide hotline, mainly to help find a medical doctor who knew about this kind of thing as I wasn't having luck.  They gave me a doctor to try and the number of a psychologist as it was a suicide hotline.  The psychologist was great.  The MD didn't work out so well. In the US, it's $75-150/hour for a psychologist.  My insurance covers 90% of that. 

Jen
To move forward is to leave behind that which has become dear. It is a call into the wild, into becoming someone currently unknown to us. For most, it is a call too frightening and too challenging to heed. For some, it is a call to be more than we were capable of being, both now and in the future.
  •