Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Therapy, Required or simply suggested? WA state

Started by Hermosa_Tabby, March 28, 2014, 11:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hermosa_Tabby

So, I have been transitioning to be more female. For me, the essence is not to choose female, but not to let my societal fear of seeming girly stop me from wearing what I want to wear and choosing what I like to do. Since my feminine side is newly accepted, I find I look and feel better in that form, and it matches my role I threw myself into for relationships without realizing it.

I have already had years and years and years of therapy for depression related to learning disabilities that were not accurately diagnosed until I made a few connections on my own years later. In general, therapy is a waste of my time and resources as I am pretty wise on what helps, and what hurts me, and I conquer my own issues myself. I am happily employed in a traveling job where seeing a doctor every 4 months is about all I can do.

I I am not really into coming out to my family until I have achieved a minimum baseline of appearance results or my doctor even for that matter (I have a very set list of achievable goals within 6 months. Mostly involving hair issues and having some of the hormones kick in enough to be able to pass without being the "man in the dress." I am not into the bullying and mental abuse the standards of care request of me being the "man in the dress and dressing in womens clothes with the 5'o clock shadow." To those who have already, I respect you greatly for your strength.

Is it necessary to sit in front of the shrink? I liken taking hormones to being safer than liposuction and I don't remember obese people needing to see a shrink. I am kinda thinking that if someone wants any cosmetic surgery is should require a shrink, or no cosmetic therapy should require a shrink. We are not idiots and will live with the choices we make. Any choice that makes us try harder to be able to be ourselves in it's entirety is not a bad one.

I guess to sum it up,
1) Do I need to do the "man in the dress," routine to be able to even ask my physician about starting me on monitored HRT? It would be rad to get a baseline reading and have the go ahead from my doc and maybe be able to get my ID and documents changed.
*Sorry if my wording is wrong or offensive to anyone. I use those words because I think the rules for standards of care are (or were,) offensive themselves and destructive to a person learning to be themselves in a world that is afraid to do so.

2) Would not wanting to finish 100% woman disqualify me? I don't think I want to pursue surgery. My doses of meds now have kept my sexual ability controlled, but functional. I don't want to do SRS to be able to have pleasure again. I am happy to give up my male side, but I don't want to be forced into accepting an entirely female side either. I like living in the balance actually or male based creative pursuit and individuality with female options to enhance ones appearance, (I think boy clothes are usually extremely bland and limited.) I like the act of being able to control my attractiveness and I have no clue what makes boys attractive. I tend to live healthier and take better care of myself as a girl. I never related to the concept of being born a woman in a mans body, because I think I align closer to third gender that is male and female and I like that sense of yin yang.

3) Know a good doc in the WA state area that accepts cash, is affordable, and will work with someone who makes decent money, but doesn't want to go onto obamacare (sliding fee scales usually don't work as I am a subcontractor and get paystubs once a year,) who will monitor my HRT prescribe my medications, but leave me the choice to do my own therapeutic technique that works with my demanding work schedule? A clinic that may have some of the same views as I do about these things.

Yep.
I am me. I am out to the world. Loving life and making peace with me.
  •  

Jessica Merriman

Terms of service do not allow for talk of self medication or dosages on the forum, chat or PMs.

1. You do not have to present to receive HRT. If you can find a provider who will accept you can do "Informed Consent". You will have to prove knowledge of the medications, procedures and satisfy they will be taken as prescribed.

2. Full transition is not going to exclude you from HRT.

3. Cant answer this one.

I would advocate for Therapy because it provides assistance with things you might not have considered and they can help with these. My Therapist is helping with HRT and SRS letters as well as legal issue's I had not considered. It never hurts to have an unbiased opinion to help with any decisions you make.  :)
  •  

Hermosa_Tabby

Ok, I understand.

I think my intent is to lean towards switching to monitored medicine, but I wanted to know if I guess I had to take the whole package to get the part of the benefit. No where else I could ask right now, so I tried here.

I see the clinical paperwork on the standards of care, and it uses the words distress and dysphoria. I think my situation may be a bit more unique as it was made out of a sense of being finally comfortable enough to consider these questions, and happy with a spouse that I feel supports me no matter what who has bisexual tendencies. I don't hate my manhood, but I don't see it as essential or productive to my future & since I am pretty girly in relationships already, I want all my lovers to be able to see me in that role, where I feel a bit more natural. The change is done with a sense of self exploration in a way similar to personally managed therapy. I deprogram the pieces of myself that were built to be an adequate male. Explore the female side, then be a confident person, that isn't hiding even a sliver of one's true self. So none of my reasons are related to a distress. My female side as a male has always been strong, and present in my choices, but it hasn't been fully explored until now.

Also testosterone raises my frustration levels as I have learned from starting my HRT that I would have never learned if I would have started the steps in the backwards way they wanted me to. I am holding a job much better than before, and letting little stuff stay little. Of course this may mean coming out to my boss and co-workers, but I work away from the field office and can transition back and forth until I get even more value to the company. Right now, they are finding that a calm intelligent flexible person is just what they needed.
Yep.
  •  

Hermosa_Tabby

I will check out the informed consent option. Sounds super interesting for someone like me.
Thanks
Yep.
  •  

JoanneB

Low dose HRT is a recognized method for treating GD. I have done it several times over the decades as a sort of brain/emotional reset. Even low dose will bring about physical effects after a while. Always the driving force for me stopping since they were contrary to wanting to be a normal guy.

Any doc can legally prescribe HRT. Most will want some sort of legal CYA, often in the form of a letter from your therapist. There are therapist what I would call rubber stampers. Basically a little more than informed consent. Still a hurdle to jump. Probably easier than finding a GP or Endo that will prescribe with you simply signing an informed consent form. YMMV depending on where you live.
.          (Pile Driver)  
                    |
                    |
                    ^
(ROCK) ---> ME <--- (HARD PLACE)
  •