Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

I've secured funding for an LGBT support group

Started by Jayne, April 26, 2014, 02:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayne

For those who haven't seen my posts last year i'll give a very brief rundown of what I call "the year of hell" (if you know the details then skip to the next section of text.
When I came out as trans my employer made my work life as hard as possible resulting in redundancy, within a month my landlord illegaly evicted me making me homeless, after a few months sofa surfing I hgot a place in a hostel, the group that ran the hostel are the highest ranked charity on the Stonewall report for LGBT friendly employers, they rank number 11. I'm out of the hostel now but I am involved in several support groups with the charity in question.

History lesson over, last Thursday I went to this charities LGBT AGM, they have had a long running LGBT support group in London but nothing in my home town, I brought this up at a directors meeting last month & within 5 minutes or walking through the door I was told that I have been allocated a budget of £1500 to set up an LGBT support group in my home town!! At first this group with deal mainly with people who have been made homeless due to identifying as LGBT.
Once things are up & running I will be able to expand & diversify to eventualy set up a trans support group.

If anyone here has any experience of setting up a support group then i'd be eternaly gratefull for any hints/tips/suggestions on how to best get the ball rolling.
I'll have the full support of the charities London LGBT group but i'd appreciate any input from the wonderfull people who use this forum

Thank you for reading this

Jayne
  •