Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Standards of Care

Started by Renae.Lupini, May 24, 2007, 08:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have you ever actually read the Standards of Care that the medical community uses to instruct us on how to live our lives?

No - Don't care to
21 (52.5%)
Yes - Disagree with them
15 (37.5%)
No - Don't care to
2 (5%)
No - But want to
2 (5%)
No - My therapist says I have to folow them and I trust him/her
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Berliegh

Quote from: Rhonda on July 09, 2007, 07:00:38 AM
Quoteagree with you Nero. In the U.K we pay the U.K equivilent of $250 per session to see a psychiatrist. I also agree that much enphasis is put on mental health issue's. I have statements from previous psychiatrists who state I have no mental health issue's. I found most NHS GIC psychiatrists to also be rude and insulting although the private psychiatrist I saw was very pleasant and helpful.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rhonda, What does !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mean?
  •  

rhonda13000

Quote from: Berliegh on July 14, 2007, 08:43:43 AM
Quote from: Rhonda on July 09, 2007, 07:00:38 AM
Quoteagree with you Nero. In the U.K we pay the U.K equivilent of $250 per session to see a psychiatrist. I also agree that much enphasis is put on mental health issue's. I have statements from previous psychiatrists who state I have no mental health issue's. I found most NHS GIC psychiatrists to also be rude and insulting although the private psychiatrist I saw was very pleasant and helpful.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rhonda, What does !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mean?

I am appalled and disgusted by that state of affairs.
  •  

Buffy

The SOC as they stand are not applied "standardally" across the World and dont apply "much care" to us as individuals. Guidelines is all I see this outdated document as being.

But do we expect to much, as patients?

Should we turn up to a first physchiatrists appointment, dressed in our chosen gender, have an hour discussion and then expect to walk a way with a big tick in the YES column and a perscription for Hormones? I feel that one area to address is how to manage our expectations and that any standard should include a road map about potential timescales for getting and going through treatment.

There are enough experts in the majority of major countries that can put their collective minds together and draft a standard that is both fair and uniform across the World.

I doubt that will ever happen though, because todays medicine is not about helping, treating and curing people, but of money, control and beauracracy.

Buffy

•  

Steph

Quote from: Buffy on July 16, 2007, 05:45:34 AM
The SOC as they stand are not applied "standardily" across the World and dont apply "much care" to us as individuals. Guidelines is all I see this outdated document asbeing.

But do we expect to much, as patients?

Should we turn up to a first physchiatrists appointment, dressed in our chosen gender, have an hour discussion and then expect to walk a way with a big tick in the YES column and a perscription for Hormones? I feel that one area to address is how to manage our expectations and that any standard should include a road map about potential timescales for getting and going through treatment.

There are enough experts in the majority of major countries that can put their collective minds together and draft a standard that is both fair and uniform across the World.

I doubt that will ever happen though, because todays medicine is not about helping, treating and curing people, but of money, control and beauracracy.

Buffy

I have to agree with you Buffy.  In our zeal to be who we are we can sometimes be a little impatient to say the least, my self included, after all as far as "our" treatment is concerned, who knows better than us.  The SOC is just what it say "a standard", one that can be used by all medical professionals to help guide them through some pretty life altering/changing decisions.  I can imagine the turmoil there would be should there be more than one standard... one in Canada, one in the US, one in the UK etc.  We would definitely be worse off.  The standards are modified over time to meet changes in clinical criteria.

The problem lies in how medical practitioners interpret the standards to meet their own requirements or values.  So unfortunately while the standards are there to be used there is no standard way that they are.

Steph
  •  

tinkerbell

I have my own SOC, with my own guidelines, criteria for diagnosis, symptoms, you know?  ;)  >:D

tink :icon_chick:
  •  

Wendy

Quote from: Tink on July 16, 2007, 08:58:58 PM
I have my own SOC, with my own guidelines, criteria for diagnosis, symptoms, you know?

Many fine teachers are trained by the school of hard knocks.
  •