Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Orange Is the New Black's Lea DeLaria Withdraws From Michfest

Started by suzifrommd, May 08, 2014, 05:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suzifrommd

Orange Is the New Black's Lea DeLaria Withdraws From Michfest

BY SUNNIVIE BRYDUM MAY 07 2014

http://www.advocate.com/arts-entertainment/2014/05/07/orange-new-blacks-lea-delaria-withdraws-michfest

DeLaria's announcement brings her in line with several other prominent out performers who have recently backed away from the Michfest, citing the festival's trans-exclusionary policy, which some have critiqued as transphobic.

In recent years, protests against that policy have ramped up, and following public pressure, out poet Andrea Gibson and Michfest mainstays the Indigo Girls announced that they would not return to Michfest until festival organizers opened attendance to all women, including trans women. In March, Toronto-based rock group Hunter Valentine cancelled its scheduled Michfest performance, citing the all-female group's belief "that the term women includes transgender women."
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

Vicky

Obviously the term "womyn" which is used by many organizers for the event does not include Trans* women!! 
I refuse to have a war of wits with a half armed opponent!!

Wiser now about Post Op reality!!
  •  

Jill F

I find the regressive nature of this festival quite ironic coming from those seeking social progress.

So are transmen welcome then?  Intersex? 
  •  

JamesG

Why are they being sexist at all?  Two wrongs and all that...
  •