Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

What impact does HRT have on biological estrogen production in the male body?

Started by Jilliansmyname, February 19, 2017, 11:46:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jilliansmyname

Hi all, fairly new around here :). As you all probably already know, biological males produce a bit of estradiol. I'm sure this is a bit of a dumb question but I could not find anything on Google to directly answer this. I've been on HRT for 5 months, and have been off 2 weeks and will be so for another2 months. In such a short period of time, the resurfacing of masculine characteristics has been overwhelming, hair, muscle, mood changes etc... Far more than I recall.

My question: Could it be that estrogen production was halted when my body was receiving more than it was accustomed to from the environment when I was on HRT. And perhaps no longer synthesizes the small amount for estradiol that male bodies produce?

If anybody has had to put off mtf HRT for a set period of time, how was it like in terms of masculine features reappearing during the time phase.
  •  

flytrap

The estrogen/testosterone cycle is really complicated! I remember reading that the pineal gland monitors the level of free testosterone in the blood stream. If the levels are too high, the gland sends a chemical signal to the pituitary gland. It secretes an endorphin that turns free testosterone into estrogen which causes the testicles to temporarily cut down on testosterone production until the levels of estrogen dissipate. When the pineal detects the decreased testosterone level, it stops sending the signal. I don't know if the body has a separate mechanism for controlling estrogen.
  •  

Randi

Estradiol, the strongest of the three estrogens can be made from testosterone by the action of the enzyme aromatase.   This graphic shows the processes by which sex steroids are formed.

http://www.ceri.com/steroid.gif

It is also important to understand the action of SHBG, sex hormone binding globulin.  It's "free" estradiol and testosterone that really have an effect.  SHGB can bind with both estradiol and testosterone and make them unavailable.
  •  

Jacqueline

Jillian,

Welcome to the site.

I am so sorry you are experiencing a strong, fast shift. I have to real knowledge depth to answer this well. You have had a few I see. I hope you get some good responses.

I also want to share some links with you. They are mostly welcome information and the rules that govern the site. If you have not had a chance to look through them, please take a moment:

Things that you should read

Once again, welcome to Susan's. Look around, ask questions and join in.

With warmth,

Joanna
1st Therapy: February 2015
First Endo visit & HRT StartJanuary 29, 2016
Jacqueline from Joanna July 18, 2017
Full Time June 1, 2018

•  

SadieBlake

Natal males produce some yes, however not enough to materially override the effects of testosterone. My T levels were only measured once - about 20 years ago and were lower than 95% of men bit still plenty enough to make me effectively masculine. Perhaps because of my inherently low T, a very small dose of Estradiol is sufficient to fully suppress T, no spironolactone needed.

I've only gone off once, that was for 3 weeks no idea what effects that had on T levels only that my brain was unhappy with what resulted. I honestly wish I'd had a feasible way to blind that experiment, however the changes in mental landscape were conclusive. I didn't notice anything physical in that time but then a year on E has only had minimal effect on things like body hair.
🌈👭 lesbian, troublemaker ;-) 🌈🏳️‍🌈
  •