Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Coming out to friends

Started by ReubenIsTheName, April 28, 2014, 08:18:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReubenIsTheName

Hey all,

I figured that we have a couple "coming out to parents" threads, but I haven't really seen one for friends, and I'd like to hear everyone's stories in that regard.

Personally, all but two of my friends (as I've said, but will reiterate for the sake of this threat) have been completely supportive. The first person I told was, of course, my best friend. He's a gay guy, and we've been friends for over a year now. We say that we're the Yin to each other's Yang, because I'd be the Yang and he would be the Yin, and we do have many things about each other that are complete opposites. Anywho, I expressed my feelings of absolute terror of what my other friends and parents would think. His response was "I wouldn't think any less of you! I'd think even more of you, because that's really brave." Another friend offered to help me get a binder, and if I'd like to be called with male pronouns as soon as I told her. My other friends have also thought more of me for coming out. "Congrats!" and "I'm proud of you!" and "Good for you, man!" are the main things I've gotten. Most of my friends are making the effort to call me by male pronouns, and Reuben (or other derivatives, such as Reubes, Ruby, and Rubix Cube), except for two. One has expressed his concern for me having surgery, won't call me by proper pronouns, and calls me Sam; the other says "I've always known you as Sam, so you're still Sam to me," and refuses to call me by male pronouns.

What's everyone else's story as far as friends went?

"After Jesus and rock and roll, couldn't save my immoral soul, well, I've got nothing left, I've got nothing left to lose." 'Nothing Left to Lose' - The Pretty Reckless

Call me Reuben Damian/Toby
Preferred pronouns - He, His, Him | Orientation - "Straight" | Future surgeries - Mastectomy, Hysto, Vaginectomy, & hopefully Phallo.
  •  

King Malachite

I'm glad that most of your friends are supportive!

I told two of my friends....I hinted to one that I might be trans and she said "I don't think you're trans."  That was it for that convo from what I remember.  I told another friend and she said something along the lines of "well that explains a lot"  She's really supportive of me!
Feel the need to ask me something or just want to check out my blog?  Then click below:

http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,135882.0.html

"Sometimes you have to go through outer hell to get to inner heaven."

"Anomalies can make the best revolutionaries."
  •  

Ravensong

I've told only a few people so far.  My best friend (and wife) actually noticed I might be trans and started me on my path. My close friends were very supportive when I told them, and asked some questions just to get a better idea of what was going on.  The few other people who know have been either supportive or have an "it is what it is" attitude.  I'm still pre-HRT right now, still presenting as male, and am curious as to what my friends from back home (whom I haven't seen in three years or more) will say when I tell them.
"You may be whatever you resolve to be."   -Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson
  •