Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Weddings/funerals and other such big events/Not able to go unless.. need advice

Started by Shana-chan, July 17, 2014, 12:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shana-chan

So, my sis who I've rarely heard from and only through emails for like, 3-4 months is probably going to get married in the near future, now, we talked a bit about it, she didn't seem to indicate she wouldn't let me come as myself, a woman, she seemed so supportive up until a few months prior to when we stopped talking and not until then did I realize, she'd stopped calling me her sis, stopped showing support for the most part. well, I just sent her an email to get clarification and then some, odds are I won't get a reply but it was a good enough one to warrant a reply, I even tried calling her two days in a row, didn't leave a message and yea, got no answer/return call. Anyway, the thing I need help with is this along with what's at the bottom too.

How do YOU handle family/friends who, won't let you come to a wedding/funeral or other big events unless you do as they ask? Before you answer that, keep in mind, I am not saying the person whose HAVING said wedding, funeral or event is the one saying you can't come unless you do as they say, but, I am saying the person paying for said event is saying this, regardless of how the person having the event feels. Keep in mind I am referring to MtF & FtM here and us being forced into a gender role we aren't. Before you answer, please read this, this is a part of what I emailed my sis, with some edits to it for privacy's sake.

Also, Daddy recently asked/told me that, if any funerals or weddings or major events like those happen I am to come dressed as a male, act like it and so on, or I can't come.  I told him how if he wants to hurt you & me again like he did on your b-day which I couldn't come too then go ahead, as I cannot do as he's asking me to do which is when he said, how the event is not about me, how there are others there and I have to respect them (Even though no one is respecting me, this is NOT as simple as a cross dresser issue and is unfair to me to ask me to do what he's asking me to do), how no one wants such an event ruined by anything that would upset/bother them (He was referring to me being a woman which he still believes I'm confused but he was also referring to anything ruining the event in general) and so on, otherwise I cannot come unless I do what he asked me to do. I straight up asked him, are you (My sis) getting married (As I remember what all u told me), he told me, it is a very good possibility in the near future. He further said either If or that he is paying for it (if it is happening I assume is what he meant) that I cannot come unless I once again do as he says. (Yup, you were right) I told him how I felt, he seemed to understand at least a little bit that, if I do come, some things need to be done to lessen the hurt/disrespect and so on, on me and that for something like this, the only people I'd even be willing to possibly do this for are you my sis, Daddy and Dad's wife, no one else. I still told him I'd have to think about it and would need a good amount of time. (A month minimum) So, if you wouldn't mind telling me, how do YOU feel about me coming as myself, your sister? Do you know if anyone in your BF's family/your friends and so on would be accepting of me and let me come as a woman? And lastly, if you want to tell me, has your BF proposed yet?

That is what I sent her, it tells the story of what my "Dad" said to me and so on. As for the bolded, the real reason I created this thread is because, I want to know how YOU all here at Susan's feel about that part my "Dad" said to me? Any advice and such is greatly appreciated. Me? I don't know how to feel about what he said, yeah the event isn't about me but, it's not about others who are there either, it's about the bride and the groom. I feel, THEY should be the ones to put THIER differences aside for that one day (If any) and get over it, of course, some may not come as a result but I can't help I was born trans and that people are so darned closed minded! >_< I think I should tell him that but, I don't know, any advice what to tell him?

Lastly, I apologize to any cross dressers out there for the part in the bolded. I am not a cross dresser and am MtF so, I don't know whether it hurts you and such to be told you can't come dressed in the clothing you prefer like it does me because mine is gender related while yours is not. So by that logic, I am assuming it's easy or at least a LOT easier for any cross dresser to do what my Dad is telling me to do if I want to come than it is for me, again, because this isn't about clothing, it's about my gender which ties into the clothing. Again, sorry.
"Denial will get people no where."
"Don't look to the here & now but rather, to the unknown future & hope on that vs. the here & now."
  •  

Serenahikaru

That's a hard one. If it was me, I won't go. I believe family is determined by bonds and not blood. I just choose not to bond with anyone who doesn't accept and treat me equally. But that's only me. For just the wedding, I'd do it since your sister at least supported you at one point, but after that, I'd go as myself. I wish you luck with whatever you choose.
"There'll come a day where you realize you were so afraid of what others thought, you never got to live the life you wanted."
  •  

Missy~rmdlm

In my perspective there is no "other me." I sent a disclosure letter December 12, 2012 stating such. I have attended weddings and funerals since then. Of course it makes some of my very conservative family uncomfortable, that's not my problem, it's theirs. The situation changes somewhat if you rely on other people. As I observed from my own parents, people are more than happy to exercise their maximum power to change behavior. Beware, for some people that may involve violence, in my parents case they tossed my sister out at 17 years old.
  •  

Oriah

I wouldn't go.  You shouldn't have to compromise yourself for anyone, much less your family.  My blood family told me they don't ever want to see me again unless I show up as the person they remember.  They haven't seen me since before the start of my transition, and we'll never see each other again. 
  •  

KimSails

Hi.  I am sorry that your dad is making you chose between attending your sister's wedding and being who you are.

I am too early in my transition to have had to chose like that, though I fully expect that I will be forced to at some point down the road.

If I was in your situation and was presenting as female full time then I would NOT attend in male attire as your dad is requiring. Since the day is primarily about your sister and the person she is marrying (and not your dad),  I would tell your sister that attending in male attire is not an option.  I would then ask your sister how else you might celebrate this event with her and her fiance.  Would she like you to attend anyway, presenting as female?  Would she like to get together with you on some other day, either before or after the wedding?  If the relationship you and your sister share is important to her, then she'll find an alternative.

Kim :)
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Unknown 

~~~~~/)~~~~~
  •  

suzifrommd

I don't know what will work for you.

For people in my life, I am a woman. Not a crossdresser, not someone caught between genders, but a female. Spelled F, E, M, A, L, E.

Accept me that way, or don't accept me at all.

Not only would I refuse to come to an occasion where I was asked to present male, but I would tell them in no uncertain terms that unless and until they accept me as I am, they are TOXIC and there is NO PLACE IN MY LIFE for them.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

janetcgtv

I would notify my family that I could not attend. That I should be able to come as myself. That I then would not be attending any family(?) functions ever. That I do not need to be treated this way as it is not a sign that my family loves me. That they have become a bunch of strangers with me and that they do not think of me as family.
  •  

mrs izzy

I went to the passing of my Grand mother last year.

It is the first time many of our extended family has seen me as female.

Everyone was polite and nothing was said out of line.

Most said i looked good and happy and glad i found happiness.

So not everyone is a *ss about things but when you are early in transition family seems to be ashamed of who we are. That i feel is truly the problem.

I would if worst make a appearance sitting away from others at the church and see how it goes. It takes a stronger person to walk away from conflict.

Wish you the best
Hugs
Izzy
Mrs. Izzy
Trans lifeline US 877-565-8860 CAD 877-330-6366 http://www.translifeline.org/
"Those who matter will never judge, this is my given path to walk in life and you have no right to judge"

I used to be grounded but now I can fly.
  •