News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

AMA's Historic Policy Shift

Started by seldom, July 17, 2007, 03:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seldom

http://www.campkc.com/campkc-content.php?Page_ID=590

Recently, the American Medical Association (AMA) voted to amend its nondiscrimination policies to include transgender people. These new policies address a wide range of issues, including discrimination against patients, medical students and physicians, as well as insurance policies. According to the National Transgender Center for Equality, "the AMA policies call for an end to the discriminatory insurance policies that trans people often face -- policies that disallow coverage for transition-related care, sex-specific care and even exclude all care for some trans people."

This is HUGE.  AMA's influence over the insurance industry and medical guidelines is massive.  It may also signal a change to a more trans-friendly DSM-IV.

I am literally crying with joy!
  •  

Jolene4ever

Hi Amy-- I just posted something similiar, I didn't know if someone else had You are so right this is a gigantic step for us. This may open doors to the insurance companies to FINALY accept us. The whole TG community should be jumping for joy. There are other places in the world,notably in Denmark where you have to jump thru hoops and spit wooden nickles. Let's pray this helps. Jolene
  •